SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-03-2011, 21:12   #1
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Cool idea for all of you cheap 10mm hunters

Hey guys, I heard this today, and figured you guys would like it. I know we reloaders are absolutely crazy about our brass, so any way to save it is a huge plus. Well, today I was in a local gun shop looking for a holster for my Delta Elite. A guy that worked there walked up to help me, and when he saw the 10mm Delta Elite, he told me that he is also a big 10mm fan. We talked for a while, and we started talking about hunting with 10mm. He had a great idea, and said he's been doing it for years. I like his idea, but it could be improved upon. So, here's his idea, and my improvements:

He says that when he hunts, he buys CCI Blazer aluminum 200gr factory rounds, pulls the bullets, replaces the powder, and seats a 180gr Gold Dot on top. He said, that way, he doesn't have to worry about his brass, and he says it's a very effective round, and VERY accurate. I, on the other hand, think we could do better than propelling a 180gr GDHP with a light 200gr powder charge. So, here's what I'm proposing. Pull a bunch of those rounds, and work up a good load.

I'm not sure if any of you worry about brass when you hunt, since it's likely only a few casings, but it might be handy. If anyone decides to undertake this task, let us know what kind of power you can get from the aluminum cases before they start to smile.

Last edited by 21Carrier; 12-03-2011 at 21:13..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 21:47   #2
TRaGiK

Send a message via Yahoo to TRaGiK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
He says that when he hunts, he buys CCI Blazer aluminum 200gr factory rounds, pulls the bullets, replaces the powder, and seats a 180gr Gold Dot on top.
Last time I saw Blazer aluminum in 10mm, it was $25 - 30 a box.

NEW starline brass is around $8 per 50 pieces.

Tell me again, where are the savings?

I'd rather lose a piece of brass, than to go to the trouble of "reloading" aluminum, that probably won't hold a full power load without KBing.
TRaGiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 23:36   #3
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaGiK View Post
Last time I saw Blazer aluminum in 10mm, it was $25 - 30 a box.

NEW starline brass is around $8 per 50 pieces.

Tell me again, where are the savings?

I'd rather lose a piece of brass, than to go to the trouble of "reloading" aluminum, that probably won't hold a full power load without KBing.
Good points!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:49   #4
JPP

You could go back to the area with a metal detector and find the brass at a later time.

On the other hand I wouldn't sweat losing 1 or 2 cases of brass, it isn't gold afterall.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28   #5
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
I don't worry too much about losing brass while hunting deer as its only a couple pieces. Just gives me that much more incentive to place my shots. Also, I'd be a bit nervous loading aluminum cases with anything hotter than Blazer powered stuff, although honestly I don't know if my concern is valid.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36   #6
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I don't worry too much about losing brass while hunting deer as its only a couple pieces. Just gives me that much more incentive to place my shots. Also, I'd be a bit nervous loading aluminum cases with anything hotter than Blazer powered stuff, although honestly I don't know if my concern is valid.
I agree! I have a box of the Blazer, that a dude traded me for a 100 round box of Winchester 9mm, so I have 10 bucks in the useless blazer ammo. There is no way, they are getting pulled, and then reloaded with my hunting load. They will sit on the shelf, until I acquire my Delta, and those will be the first box ran through. Then off to shooting "real" 10MM stuff!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

The only thing I use the Aluminum cases for are making "DUMMY LOADS", use these to check cycling and practice drills...mix one in the mag too cause a stoppage for tap/rack/clear.

Key chains.

I did try an size one to 9x25Dillon, it reduced OK but while opening the neck to accept a bullet, they split. Annealing might solve that issue...
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:51   #8
B.Reid

I do have a few Blazer rounds that I use when walking in the woods, Just in case I loose them. Also I have killed a Mule Deer doe with the Blazer ammo. Passed right through and she only went around 20 yards. Now I use my hot reloads. When I bought my G20 the only ammo they had in 10mm was the Blazer,I bought 3 boxes and I still have a few left.

Old 12-04-2011, 13:53   #9
blastfact

Dont see the need to save hunting brass in the field while hunting.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 16:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Dont see the need to save hunting brass in the field while hunting.
The price of a few pieces of brass is like a drop in a bucket compare to all the other costs related to a hunting trip for me. The other cost you'll have to factor in is developing your hot hunting loads with aluminum cases before using them afield. I would hate to have a failure in the field trying to save a buck, no pun intended. By the time you factor the price of gas driving out to the range, the time, and the price of the components developing your "aluminum" hunting loads, it might be more worth while to pass on that one Starbucks and use regular brass.
Old 12-04-2011, 19:51   #11
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Ok, so maybe it was a BAD idea. It sure sounded good on the surface. I didn't really think it through. I forgot about the cost of the ammo. So I had a brain fart.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 20:14   #12
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
Ok, so maybe it was a BAD idea. It sure sounded good on the surface. I didn't really think it through. I forgot about the cost of the ammo. So I had a brain fart.
Don't think you are the only one who had those thoughts. I traded for my box with a bud to help him out, not even owning a 10, he just wanted something he could use. After having them, and reloading just about everything I shoot, and not considering them a viable carry load. Just what I need is a box of target loads, that can't even be reloaded after fired.
Old 12-04-2011, 20:46   #13
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
Don't think you are the only one who had those thoughts. I traded for my box with a bud to help him out, not even owning a 10, he just wanted something he could use. After having them, and reloading just about everything I shoot, and not considering them a viable carry load. Just what I need is a box of target loads, that can't even be reloaded after fired.
Thats why I save them for field carry, not for big game. Just fire and forget. But I wont be buying anymore when these are gone.

Old 12-04-2011, 20:54   #14
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Thats why I save them for field carry, not for big game. Just fire and forget. But I wont be buying anymore when these are gone.
Just kind of wish they were a good carry round. I have 500, 200 grain hardcast w/5.6 grains of unique, and, 1k plus loaded up, of the same bullet, w/ 8.2 gr of longshot, waiting to rock. Like I said, one of these days, I'll get lucky like some guy I know, and find me a "new" Delta, and those rounds, will be the first box ran, just to see how she runs!
Old 12-05-2011, 21:28   #15
VN350X10

I shoot Blazer at GSSF matches.
It always works, I don't care where it ends up & it gives excellent accuracy out of the G20's & the 29.
And here in the "Demokratik Peoples Workers Republik" of IL we can't use a semi-auto for handgun hunting anyhow.
This is where the various .44 Mags come in handy. (I left the S&W 610 home this year)
Didn't matter anyhow, didn't get a deer.
But I got away from work for a week, so that wasn't bad !

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 21:38   #16
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I always bring my best stuff to the hunt...too much at stake, after all the preparation and the total cost of everything, brass is the last thing I worry about! However I finished off a doe, (a guy gut shot with a 30-30) using a Winchester 200gr Black Talon...I was standing in black berry briers 5' tall and did find that nickel plated brass.
Recovered the bullet too from the deer!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote