Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:43   #21
M&P Shooter
PA Member

The war on criminals doesn't work so well either but you must always continue to fight. To say we should end the war on drugs is like saying we just lay down and give up.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:46   #22
Lethaltxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1956 View Post
It doesn't make me feel good, and I'm a people.
You must be one of those heartless right wingers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Lew Horton Springfield Compact 1911
Springfield Loaded
Lethaltxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:50   #23
M&P Shooter
PA Member

Quote:
It doesn't make me feel good, and I'm a people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDnR6Px-co
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54   #24
Lampshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Shooter View Post
The war on criminals doesn't work so well either but you must always continue to fight. To say we should end the war on drugs is like saying we just lay down and give up.
It shouldn't be a war in the first place.

See your signature... the little part about people being "free?"
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:03   #25
clancy

When the "War on Drugs" started in the 60's I do not think it was intended to becoem the oppressive, Constitution shredding assualt on the citizens of the US it is now. I have a friend who did 2 years in prison under the Rockefeller Law's in the 70's, all because he had 2 joints. Another friend cashed his Christmas Club check a couple years ago, got stopped for speeding on the way to the mall and had his $2500 confiscated by the police. In the town I once lived in a kid was growing about a half dozen pot plants. His parents home was seized by the police and auctioned off. One old guy cashed in a CD and took the money to a local car dealership to pay cash for a new car. The cops were called and they took his money too. According to the local newspaper, it cost him almost $5000 in lawyer fees to get his $30,000 back.

There is a whole industry that has developed over drug testing. Even the local fast food places and supermarkets are now testing applicants. Our local police departments have become in far too many instances militarized and unapproachable. At least half of the population of our prisons are there for non-violent drug crimes, and violent felons are being given early release to make room for more.

To me, the was on drugs has become a war on the American people and the US Constitution.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:04   #26
Danny Reid

Essentially, you can substitute drugs with any other enterprise people want to legalize. The underground element will still always exist.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:07   #27
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
So you think we should just continue on the same path? Or should we do something different, still maintaining the war on drugs? What do you think we should do?

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17   #28
McJohnny
The dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
To me, the was on drugs has become a war on the American people and the US Constitution.
Quoted for truth.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:19   #29
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Reid View Post
Essentially, you can substitute drugs with any other enterprise people want to legalize. The underground element will still always exist.
Much fail here.

Only the government can create a black market.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20   #30
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

If you fabricate a cause with sufficient nobility or fear the American people will tolerate anything.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21   #31
Danny Reid

No fail at all. Legalize em and see what happens.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26   #32
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
At least half of the population of our prisons are there for non-violent drug crimes, and violent felons are being given early release to make room for more.
70% of prisoners test positive for once a week or greater drug use when they first go in.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27   #33
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Reid View Post
No fail at all. Legalize em and see what happens.
Cool. Back it up. How does a black market "underground" develop absent government intervention?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29   #34
NMG26

Quote:
De-criminalize drug use across the board and stop making total abstinence a condition for employment, health care, and social services in the form of mandatory drug testing, for starters. Recognize the difference between the recreational pot smoker and the daily heroin addict. Stop treating a voluntary behavior as both a lifelong disease and a criminal activity. Stop lying to children in an attempt to scare them into adopting a totally-abstinent lifestyle. Recognize, at a federal level, the genuine medicinal applications of marijuana. Admit and accept as a society that a small percentage of that society is going to act irresponsibly in their consumption of mind-altering substances, while the overwhelming majority of those who do so, do so moderately.
+1

Pie in the sky?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHUD2XmLN4

Last edited by NMG26; 12-04-2011 at 10:29..
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:32   #35
GAFinch

The war on drugs was winning, which is why drugs, including pot and meth, moved down to Mexico. It's the lax immigration enforcement that allowed the Mexican cartels to gradually gain size and power. Of course, that's the real reason many people don't want illegal immigration made illegal again.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33   #36
Vanilla-gorilla
Registered Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
I always get a good laugh when I read the local paper's story of a marijuana eradication operation.

99% of the time, it's a group of 10-12 overweight cops, all dressed in tactical gear with ATV's and a helicopter, posing with a small growing operation.

I would guess they spend thousands of dollars to wipe out a few plants.

This is a great example of waste.
Ha. Yep thats how they do it.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46   #37
Danny Reid

Easy. Say we legalize it all tomorrow. In the libertarian world, that would be the end of it. That isn't reality, though. Hand in hand with legalization would come regulation. Color me dubious, but when I think of addicts the thought that they are the sort to operate within specific constraints seems a bit goofy.

Who knows? Maybe some crackheads and Meth users may be willing to go through proper channels in order to get their fix once it's legalized, but I kinda doubt it.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:52   #38
mike1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I would consider decriminalization but as far as employment goes I think that should be left up to employers. Unless someone can show that the F16 driver does as well after testing positive. As far as medical use of marijuana if the guys at Brigham and Womens, Cleveland Clinic, Reagan, Bethesda, MGH etc. decide it has benefit, I agree.
The medical industry has a vested interest in keeping marijuana illegal.
mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56   #39
bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
The war on drugs was winning, which is why drugs, including pot and meth, moved down to Mexico. It's the lax immigration enforcement that allowed the Mexican cartels to gradually gain size and power. Of course, that's the real reason many people don't want illegal immigration made illegal again.
I just don't know...

Consider this: A light plane with an unknown cargo leaves Cuba and heads toward the US. Do you think it'll make it to shore? A similar plane takes off from Mexico or Colombia. Somehow, it lands in Florida or Texas or Arizona and unloads its cargo to waiting accomplices. What's the difference? They're both invading. They're both, by law, a threat. But one has great propaganda value in its interdiction, and the other brings lots of money to all of the participants... the hunters and the hunted, both.

The war on drugs, like government subsidies to oil companies or factory farms is a redistribution of wealth from you and I to wealthy folks. It's theft. And I contend that the war on drugs is tearing this country apart. No other country in the world... not Red China, not Iran, not Myanmar... has as high a percentage of its own citizens in prison as the USA. And it's that silly war on drugs that's to blame. Time to end that war.

As an aside, I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of thought and the tone of discourse in this thread. Once in a while, I get very tired of the unthinking and poorly expressed comments of some GTers. It makes me sad for the future of our country, if ignorance and bigotry are accepted as normal. But then I read through a thread like this, or one of the technical threads, and my faith is restored. Thanks, ya'll.
That's all that tyranny is: it's not in a personality; it's a set of circumstances. It's being trapped with your enemy in a limited space– a country or a family– where the balance of power between you is unequal and the weaker one has no recourse.
bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00   #40
mike1956

Quote:
Fighting an unwinnable war against the behaviors of a significant portion of a nation's own citizens is foolish. People are going to do what they do whether you give up, or not.
mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote