SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-04-2011, 15:12   #81
Christian944

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
I have a stepchild sitting in jail right now for what he did because of his alcoholism. The sale and ease of getting alcohol pisses me off. Illegalizing it, or more regulation, whould not have changed his choices, or the present end result.

His time in jail is the longest he has stayed sober in years. When he gets out, I have no Idea if he will be able to win against his disease. He wants to. Will he? No Idea.
If being a drunk is a disease so is being fat.

Time for pharmaceutical companies to make some 'drugs' that will manage your 'disease'.

Last edited by Christian944; 12-04-2011 at 15:13..
Christian944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 16:01   #82
Lampshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
If you allow the unregulated and uncontrolled use of any mind altering substance abuse is going to happen. You can argue that legalizing it and taxing it and regulating it like prescription medication would be more beneficial. Has that been effective with Prescription Narcotics?
Has prohibition been effective at dealing with other drugs?

Not sure where you got the idea that legalization means use is unregulated and uncontrolled either, I'm pretty sure there are regulations and controls in place with regard to alcohol use, which is a legal drug.

Last edited by Lampshade; 12-04-2011 at 16:02..
Lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 16:59   #83
Ljunatic
On The Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
If drugs were made legal the price would go through the floor. Criminals would have no interest in competing with corporations.
WOW...maybe we could the same with every product by having the government take it all over.

Stuff would be so cheap, maybe even FREE!
Ljunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 17:05   #84
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljunatic View Post
WOW...maybe we could the same with every product by having the government take it all over.

Incredibly dumb comment

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 17:09   #85
Ljunatic
On The Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Incredibly dumb comment
SORRY,

i AM DRUNK OR STONED...

forget which
Old 12-04-2011, 17:13   #86
american lockpicker
License to Il

Quote:

If we could get the government to eliminate CEOs and shareholders we could at least reduce cost of things.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 17:14   #87
mike1956

Quote:

Works with food stamps.
mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 17:17   #88
Ljunatic
On The Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1956 View Post
Works with food stamps.
Drug stamps...I like it
Old 12-04-2011, 18:02   #89
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post

There is a little something missing from the versions of both these incidents. When money that is acquired legally is legally put into a thrift and then legally removed from a thrift, the police don't take it. If there is a relationship that can be drawn from the money to criminal activity, that is different.
Go to your car dealership of choice with $20,000 or more in cash and see what happens. Get stopped by the police and have them find $1000 or more on you if you are searched, and again, see what happens. See how much it costs you to get it back. The cops can(I am not saying they always will) take it and make you prove it is legally yours.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:03   #90
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

The war on drugs will NEVER end as long as it brings millions and millions of dollars to the coffers of the politicians and police. Neither of which really care one way or another about actually WINNING a war on drugs.
Old 12-04-2011, 18:09   #91
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyter2 View Post
The war on drugs will NEVER end as long as it brings millions and millions of dollars to the coffers of the politicians and police. Neither of which really care one way or another about actually WINNING a war on drugs.
Actually, that's where you and some others are wrong. The money that comes in to the government mostly doesn't go to the individual officers and definitely doesn't go to the individual politicians, who actually have all of the control over it (you'd be surprised how little they care what the police think about things, unless it is useful for publicity).

What keeps the WOD going isn't the money the government gets, it's the VOTES te politicians get. In short, you (collectively) keep it going. It's not just the WOD, either. Legislating against crime gets that frightened 80% to vote for them, no matter how silly the law is. We have legislators writing laws to oppose things they heard about happening in other countries, that are not know to have ever happened in KY. Why? Not fear of a crime wave, but just the fact that nothing gets votes from the herd like saying you passed "tough new criminal laws" at election time. Drugs crimes are just an easy target, like sex offenders and a few other hot topics.

Last edited by Bren; 12-04-2011 at 18:37..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:24   #92
BrazosCoTX

The "war" on drugs, as currently being waged, is a failure. Gotta change something.

That said, I say throw no money at the treatment. Users gonna use (relapse). Employers should test, and deny employment for those who demonstrate any evidence of being high on the job. Want some stoner managing your 401k, or trying to find a vein in your arm to start an IV, or flying your plane, or teaching your kid? Let the drug users starve. No whining when they get a load of 00 buck while burglarizing my house, looking for something to pawn to support their habit.

BTW -- I work in a field in which we refer users for drug treatment. Most fail to complete the treatment, as they would rather use and take the jail time. And I'm talking about alcoholics a spart of this population, too.
BrazosCoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:45   #93
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Cent View Post
The thing I've never figured out is a country like Holland - no "War on Drugs" (to say the least) over there but the Dutch don't seem to be falling apart. Heck, seems they have their country more together than Italy or Greece and I haven't heard of them needing a bailout.

Or maybe its just all the tourists that go there for drug holidays??
One must factor in the culture. The Dutch are a monoculture. The U.S. is a melting pot, so to speak. Basically, the Dutch are all on the same page. There is social pressure to make something of yourself and not be a slacker.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:58   #94
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

They can no more win the war on drugs then they did winning the war on alcohol. They'd be better off spending the money on "just say no" programs in schools and drug treatment programs.
Old 12-04-2011, 19:09   #95
Brucev

[QUOTE=frank4570;18240674]I am personally of the opinion that we need a drastically different approach to dealing with drugs. So that is my view. You have many who share your opinion.

My question is for the people who are in favor of continuing the war on drugs.
Bear with me for a second. I think the war on drugs is only having a very small effect toward the goal of preventing americans from getting drugs. I would guess for every $1 worth of drugs we prevent, $100 gets through. And it costs us $100 in resources to keep out that $1.
That is a terrible return on our money. And it looks to me like we are losing ground. We are not winning. You are correct.

So if you support the war on drugs, how do you see this going? I do not support the "war on drugs." Are you comfortable with continuing down the same path and just hoping for the best? No.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:12   #96
DIXIE DUCK

End it, and if you want to start another war fight it against substance abuse and addiction.
Old 12-04-2011, 19:14   #97
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Actually, that's where you and some others are wrong. The money that comes in to the government mostly doesn't go to the individual officers and definitely doesn't go to the individual politicians, who actually have all of the control over it (you'd be surprised how little they care what the police think about things, unless it is useful for publicity).

What keeps the WOD going isn't the money the government gets, it's the VOTES te politicians get. In short, you (collectively) keep it going. It's not just the WOD, either. Legislating against crime gets that frightened 80% to vote for them, no matter how silly the law is. We have legislators writing laws to oppose things they heard about happening in other countries, that are not know to have ever happened in KY. Why? Not fear of a crime wave, but just the fact that nothing gets votes from the herd like saying you passed "tough new criminal laws" at election time. Drugs crimes are just an easy target, like sex offenders and a few other hot topics.
Very insightful. I'll have to add that into the memory banks.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:15   #98
mike1956

Quote:
Drug stamps...I like it
Yeah, except they would probably swap them 2/1 for smokes at the local convenience store.
mike1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:28   #99
Restless28

The War on Drugs is nothing more than a tool to empower and grow the enforcers of our society and to give politicians more power over our liberty.

It's an abject failure for everyone but the enforcers and politicians.

Take those billions of dollars wasted on this fake war and use it prevent and treat addiction, not grow the government.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:30   #100
billyblooshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Kiser View Post
I don't belive in treatment at all, to me that makes it look like a drug addict has a illness which they do not... A drug addict has a deficit of responsibility, accountability, concern toward others, healthy concern for themselves, and just all-around complete lack of judgement and a surplus of selfishness...

I like the appraoch my Dad has always mentioned... When drugs are confiscated, just poison the crap and put it back out on the streets... It will only kill who it needs to, and drugs will quickly start to carry a pretty lethal reputation and maybe it'll act as a deterrent... If it's not a deterrent, who gives a $h** cause it will just kill the ones that can't head a warning...

There comes a point with a serious problems that ya got to lose compassion, and just fix the ********** problem... I say F'em -- killem all...
It's time responsible and contributing citizens get all that they deserve from the society in which we've conributed to...

BTW - I've never smoked a joint in my life, but I don't think weed is a real big deal that needs to soak up much of our tax $$...
im surprised no one has anything to say about this genius post. chock full of pure ignorance.

explain responsible white-collar drug addicts then? good job, takes care of family, essentially isnt directly hurting anyone but himself, but happens to be addicted to say pain killers or cocaine. or how about a guy who makes six figures as is CEO of a finance company, that is an alcoholic? takes care of his kids, is a good dad, good to his wife, comes to work every day on time, but when he drinks, he drinks to get drunk and ends up getting hammered, once his kids and wife are secure and in bed. again, essentially not directly hurting anyone but himself.

should we just "f-em, kill 'em all too" with these guys? you sound like you woulda been better off with the SS in the 40's.

but then you go on to state that you dont think weed is a big deal, which although it may not be in your opinion, is still an illegal narcotic.

you're post is pure fail.