Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:31   #1
catalyst686

Mounting positions for a red dot

I want my red dot as far forward as possible on my flat top ar in order to have a bit of space between my magnifier and red dot, I know that bridging the gap it a no no. My main question is, if the red dot hangs over the rail, but it only secured to the flat top receiver, is that ok? As long as the red dot is fastened to the receiver part I don't think It'll cause an issue, I could be wrong though.... I'll post a pic once I get my new phone tmrw.
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:41   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Would be best to have all the mount supported by the receiver.
You will just have to try it and see if it holds zero. Dependimg upon the mount,
it may "wobble" a bit, thus opening shot groupings a bit.

Wish I had a better answer,.....I've just never tried that
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:03   #3
boomhower

Don't bridge the gap. There are cantilever mounts that will get out there a bit farther.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:54   #4
MStarmer
In Jail...

I guess it would depend on your sight and mount. It may take a bit of trial and error or just going to Larue and getting the set up that works from the get go. My wife wanted to try a magnifier for her Eotech but didn't want a rail system so after a few tries and Marshall's help we ended up with this. Not as fancy as some but it can be done on the receiver without cantilevers and such.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 12-08-2011, 13:35   #5
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst686 View Post
I want my red dot as far forward as possible on my flat top ar in order to have a bit of space between my magnifier and red dot, I know that bridging the gap it a no no. My main question is, if the red dot hangs over the rail, but it only secured to the flat top receiver, is that ok? As long as the red dot is fastened to the receiver part I don't think It'll cause an issue, I could be wrong though.... I'll post a pic once I get my new phone tmrw.
This is just a suggestion, but the less junk you have mounted the better. Consider if you really need the optic or whether its just AR bling. Remember the more you add the more it weighs and the less proficient you may become with your rifle...Just fuel for thought, not meant to break your stones.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 14:04   #6
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
This is just a suggestion, but the less junk you have mounted the better. Consider if you really need the optic or whether its just AR bling. Remember the more you add the more it weighs and the less proficient you may become with your rifle...Just fuel for thought, not meant to break your stones.
Not to bust your stones, but "the less junk you have mounted the better" is simply your opinion on the matter. I would imagine that the OP definitely does not consider his optics "mounted junk", or he wouldn't be coming here asking how to mount them properly.

And I'd simply love for you to explain how mounting an RDO makes one less proficient with their rifle.

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-08-2011 at 14:05..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 16:37   #7
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Not to bust your stones, but "the less junk you have mounted the better" is simply your opinion on the matter. I would imagine that the OP definitely does not consider his optics "mounted junk", or he wouldn't be coming here asking how to mount them properly.

And I'd simply love for you to explain how mounting an RDO makes one less proficient with their rifle.
He does have a point. Weight causes fatigue and fatigue will effect performance.

-----

The cantilever someone mentioned earlier would probably work for you.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:23   #8
catalyst686

I got a different optic and my set up looks similar to the pic that is posted above. Thanks for the help!
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56   #9
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
He does have a point. Weight causes fatigue and fatigue will effect performance.
Haven't we covered this topic enough already? Haven't we gotten to the understanding that things like optics on ARs are pretty much standard, and that their benefits faaaaaar out-weigh any negatives for their users?

I also do not recall the OP saying that weight (ounces?) is an issue for him, so why would you and TangoFoxtrot assume that it is? How about you guys ask the OP how he uses his rifle, and if weight is a consideration first?

Last edited by M&P15T; 12-09-2011 at 09:11..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 17:30   #10
JBUS
I'mHellaJelly!

I like Mstarmer's solution.

It all depends on how you will be using your rifle. Just make an honest assessment of yourself and the weapon's usage and if you don't care about weight. Some care, some don't. Either way, you'll be good.

I run my LE6920 in patrol and have searched large areas for hours in the heat ( I know, whaa whaa whaa!) but I learned a few things and that was to be thankful for a M4 with a T-1 and no frivolous BS hanging off it. Unlike a few of my partners who went home after that day and stripped off Redi-Mags and buttstock pouches and the like....one even sold his magnifier.
JBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:23   #11
mjkeat

Quote:
Haven't we covered this topic enough already? Haven't we gotten to the understanding that things like optics on ARs are pretty much standard, and that their benefits faaaaaar out-weigh any negatives for their users?

I also do not recall the OP saying that weight (ounces?) is an issue for him, so why would you and TangoFoxtrot assume that it is? How about you guys ask the OP how he uses his rifle, and if weight is a consideration first?
I simply stated that TF had a valid point. I made no assumptions as to the OP's needs or use.

Weight no matter what the measurment always has the ability to become an issue whether you're 100 pounds or a 245 pound athlete.

Last edited by mjkeat; 12-09-2011 at 18:24..
Old 12-09-2011, 19:39   #12
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBUS View Post
I like Mstarmer's solution.

It all depends on how you will be using your rifle. Just make an honest assessment of yourself and the weapon's usage and if you don't care about weight. Some care, some don't. Either way, you'll be good.

I run my LE6920 in patrol and have searched large areas for hours in the heat ( I know, whaa whaa whaa!) but I learned a few things and that was to be thankful for a M4 with a T-1 and no frivolous BS hanging off it. Unlike a few of my partners who went home after that day and stripped off Redi-Mags and buttstock pouches and the like....one even sold his magnifier.

If a redi-mag or magnifier is enough that you're having trouble carrying a rifle for a few hours, might need to adjust some life choices.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52   #13
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
I simply stated that TF had a valid point. I made no assumptions as to the OP's needs or use.

Weight no matter what the measurment always has the ability to become an issue whether you're 100 pounds or a 245 pound athlete.
Stick to them guns son!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 15:02   #14
mjkeat

Quote:
Stick to them guns son!!!
Ok you win, weight has no bearing on possible fatigue and fatigue has no effect on a shooter.
Old 12-10-2011, 18:34   #15
JBUS
I'mHellaJelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
If a redi-mag or magnifier is enough that you're having trouble carrying a rifle for a few hours, might need to adjust some life choices.
We won't get into that....I said my peace when I saw it happening. They made fun of me for wearing my OSOE Micro Rig in the beginning but weren't laughing at the end.

Let's not start on the guys showing up with Eo's and magnifiers and stripping the magnifiers off 2 hours into a tactical rifle class.....then again, these guys work inside, all day in the jails.
JBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 20:19   #16
cowboy1964

Quote:
If you lugging the AR 50 miles a day, yeah weight is critical.

An EoTech weighs less than a loaded Glock 21 mag. Big whoop.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 12-10-2011 at 20:21..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 20:27   #17
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
If you lugging the AR 50 miles a day, yeah weight is critical.

An EoTech weighs less than a loaded Glock 21 mag. Big whoop.
I'm confused then. Whats the big deal over lightening ARs for 3gun and the marketing and time spent by all these AR and parts manufacturers over lightweight parts?
Old 12-11-2011, 20:17   #18
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
Hang out at ready gun for about 6 minutes, several times in a trainiing session, you'll see stuff flying off them rifles.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:13   #19
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
I'm confused then. Whats the big deal over lightening ARs for 3gun and the marketing and time spent by all these AR and parts manufacturers over lightweight parts?
Yes you are and it's OK.. Marketing exists to confuse and muddy the issues..

A superlightweight gun that breaks on the range is OK, it sucks when you have to engage someone shooting at you and your super LW 3 gun blaster comes up NONFUNC.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:14   #20
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6roll View Post
Hang out at ready gun for about 6 minutes, several times in a trainiing session, you'll see stuff flying off them rifles.
OR you will see those who train to win succeed because they put in the prep time to get physically fit...