SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00   #1
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Brass

Anyone know who has the best price for. 40 brass n what brand is good?

Last edited by rpgman; 12-05-2011 at 07:41..
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:09   #2
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I get mine from my local gun store, once fired police brass, fairly cheap.
Also have a friend who is a reserve deputy sheriff who is able to get quite a bit of once fired police brass for free.
I must be lucky.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27   #3
F106 Fan

Centerfirebrass.com has once-fired .40 S&W brass at a pretty low price. You won't get to pick the brand (headstamp).

There is a 'sticky' at the top of the forum that discusses good/bad brass.

I have bought Startline brass from http://www.midwayusa.com

Richard
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45   #4
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Centerfirebrass.com has once-fired .40 S&W brass at a pretty low price. You won't get to pick the brand (headstamp).

There is a 'sticky' at the top of the forum that discusses good/bad brass.

I have bought Startline brass from http://www.midwayusa.com

Richard
whats better, the Brass or Nickel? I have both, once fired and they both seem ok to load. I reloaded some of my SD ammo which was Nickel and I couldn't tell any difference while loading. Just wondering why the Nickel is $10.00 more for 500 New Starline?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:17   #5
F106 Fan

A lot of people don't like the nickel plated brass because they believe it is a brittle surface and won't reload as many times before cracking. I have been cautioned by complete strangers about my nickel plated Federal Match .308 brass; everybody has an opinion. My opinion for match brass: I like the Federal nickel plated brass - it's pretty. When it cracks it is gone forever - I don't think it is available any more. But until then, I'm going to keep using it.

Others want the nickel plated brass because it doesn't tarnish when the ammo is stored in damp places (including the holster in high humidity areas).

Humidity isn't a major concern here in northern California so I have no interest in nickel plated pistol brass and won't even pick it up off the ground. I also want to be able to reload the brass as many times as possible so there is no good reason to buy any.

As you can see, opinions vary...

Richard
Old 12-05-2011, 09:24   #6
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
A lot of people don't like the nickel plated brass because they believe it is a brittle surface and won't reload as many times before cracking. I have been cautioned by complete strangers about my nickel plated Federal Match .308 brass; everybody has an opinion. My opinion for match brass: I like the Federal nickel plated brass - it's pretty. When it cracks it is gone forever - I don't think it is available any more. But until then, I'm going to keep using it.

Others want the nickel plated brass because it doesn't tarnish when the ammo is stored in damp places (including the holster in high humidity areas).

Humidity isn't a major concern here in northern California so I have no interest in nickel plated pistol brass and won't even pick it up off the ground. I also want to be able to reload the brass as many times as possible so there is no good reason to buy any.

As you can see, opinions vary...

Richard
thanks Richard!
Greg
Old 12-05-2011, 10:08   #7
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

I plan on placing an order to these guys soon as I get the funds. $29 bucks/1000 and $11 shipping has Midway beat but quite a bit.
http://centerfirebrass.com/products-...r-1000-rounds/
Old 12-05-2011, 10:57   #8
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman View Post
whats better, the Brass or Nickel? I have both, once fired and they both seem ok to load. I reloaded some of my SD ammo which was Nickel and I couldn't tell any difference while loading. Just wondering why the Nickel is $10.00 more for 500 New Starline?

It's not that there is anything wrong with nickel cases, it's just that the brass cases will give you many more reloads per case,as mentioned above. All brass gets work hardened as it is fired, the nickel plating is harder to begin with and will tend to crack or fail sooner than pure brass.

You might want to check out these bullet and brass combos: http://www.tjconevera.com/buandbrco.html

Last edited by ColoCG; 12-05-2011 at 11:01..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 15:19   #9
ron59
Bustin Caps

Definitely should be able to get some around you cheap. I had a bunch that I traded for other brands of brass that I DO load for.... found an R.O. locally who never has a chance to pick up his own brass and sold a bunch to him.

At the indoor range I go to, there's always tons of .40 laying around. I pick up whatever is adjacent to me, always end up with 50 or so of them in my stuff. Saved up over the years... boom.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 15:43   #10
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Definitely should be able to get some around you cheap. I had a bunch that I traded for other brands of brass that I DO load for.... found an R.O. locally who never has a chance to pick up his own brass and sold a bunch to him.

At the indoor range I go to, there's always tons of .40 laying around. I pick up whatever is adjacent to me, always end up with 50 or so of them in my stuff. Saved up over the years... boom.
nope, we only have private ranges around here and NO indoor ranges.

I shoot on a private range and you have to have an appt to shoot. It's usually available whenever I need it, but you shoot alone in a grass field, with about 7 targets and it's has stakes at various distances.
Old 12-05-2011, 17:05   #11
Taterhead
Counting Beans

The problems I have had with nickel cases is that they seem harder. After a few loadings they resize ok, but they lose neck tension due to work hardening. The hard nickel might wear re-sizing dies a bit quicker too. With shorter bullets like 155, 150, or 135 grains, you want to really watch for sufficient neck tension. I have been caught by surprise seeing bullets able to setback with mere thumb pressure. Crimping doesn't help with his since there is just a bit of spring back. For re-loading volume work, I prefer regular brass. Starline is my favorite.

For new brass, I buy direct from Starline. Best prices. Shipping is included in the price.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote