SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-06-2011, 00:50   #1
Joe@SBA

Send a message via AIM to Joe@SBA
USA Ammo - Buyer Beware - My Experience

Hello all, just wanted to post up my not so great experience with USA Ammo to which my first time ordering will be my last. Not only am I talking about poor quality ammo, but their non existent customer service I'm experiencing. Couple months back I purchased a 500 round case of their New 115g 9mm FMJ. I recently started using this ammo my last few trips to the range. This ammo is so inaccurate its not even funny. Keyholing all over the target. Went to a local gun shop and we broke down some rounds. The general consensus is that this ammo is undersized at the OGIVE, creating the erratic keyholing pattern. The bullets themselves upon closer inspection visually look "smaller". Almost as if the material is plated cast with all the markings and tiny ripples...almost as if something happened during the manufacturing and it caused them to shrink (if that can make any sense). With that said I tried contacting USA Ammo via email to which I attached them the pics. Two emails and two phone messages later, I still yet to receive any reply back regarding my concern(s). When I try to call the main number on their site 281-464-4776, it gets forwarded to a different number 936-366-6777 with a generic not available msg. The ammo I purchased is also not listed on their site anymore. Something is def going on. I know people who have had no issues with their ammo and/or customer service....this is just my experience, take it FWIW. In my opinion, saving a few bucks on the very thing that can be responsible in a life or death situation is not worth it.

New 9mm 115g Lot#16081130

Both pics, same gun (G19), same shooter (me), same distance (10 yards) on the same day.

USA Ammo
Caliber Corner

Speer
Caliber Corner

Outer 2 rounds are WWB...inner 3 rounds are USA
Caliber Corner

Last edited by Joe@SBA; 12-07-2011 at 04:55..
Joe@SBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 18:46   #2
tcruse

They use plated bullets that results in the wrinkled finish on the bullet. I did not have the keyhole issues or the lack of accuracy. They did not clean up the cases very nice. When shipping was included it was not cheap compared to the local sources for new ammo. With S&B, MFS 2000 brass and herters TNJ for $10 a box, it was just not good enough to buy 1000 or more rounds needed for it to be cheaper. CTD hAd RUAG precision ammo (zinc coated steel case) for 8.38. Very clean and accurate. Seems like it is no longer listed.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 18:57   #3
dkf

Did you measure the bullets diameter? Undersize?
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 19:05   #4
WiskyT
Malcontent

Plated bullets are quality dependent. Speer Gold Dots are plated and they are excellent bullets. The heavier the copper plating, the better the quality. Federal even loads plated bullets in some of it's rifle rounds like 30-06 (Fusion?).

A good, heavy plating means more copper and longer time electroplating it on. Both cost money. If the plating is too thin, you basically have a soft lead bullet. If that soft bullet is driven to typical 9mm pressures, they likely will keyhole, especially in polygonal rifled barrels.

Most likely, the bullets aren't too small. The only way to tell is to pull one from the case and measure it with a micrometer. It should be 0.355", 0.356" would be even better.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 21:07   #5
Joe@SBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@SBA View Post
Went to a local gun shop and we broke down some rounds. The general consensus is that this ammo is undersized
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Did you measure the bullets diameter? Undersize?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
The only way to tell is to pull one from the case and measure it with a micrometer. It should be 0.355", 0.356" would be even better.
The guy at the shop used a mic. Did about 3 rounds, two were in the higher .340 (can't remember exactly) and the other one that really stuck out was .334.5. Funny thing is as soon as I handed them the ammo their immediate response was, "Wow, look at this crap." lol...I'm not exactly sure whats causing the erratic keyholing pattern, could be undersizing, could be the junk plating, or a combination of both...but that should be up to the manufacturer to do a RCA.

Moral of the story, 1. its junk...the proof is on the paper.... 2. My customer experience is the lack thereof. Not worth the risk and/or headaches.

Last edited by Joe@SBA; 12-06-2011 at 21:16..
Old 12-06-2011, 21:48   #6
dkf

Yeah those bullets were way undersized. The barrel/rifling couldn't stabilize the bullet thats why you got the tumbling. Garbage bullets.

I've pulled a WWB bullet that was .353" already but they all should be .355"-.356".
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 22:41   #7
cowboy1964

This kind of crap makes even Wolf and Tula look like premium stuff.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:32   #8
Brucev

I have used USA ammunition with normal results in 9mm, .38 Special and .45 ACP. I have not had the less than acceptable results you report in this post. Personally, I find it surprising given my own experience with USA ammunition. Specifically speaking to 9mm practice ammunition, I have found the 9mm FMJ Federal Champion load sold at Wal-Mart to be accurate and fully functional in my Beretta 92FS. POA has been POI at 15 yds. I ran several hundred rounds of it through that pistol on Monday. As it always has, it ran beautifully. You might want to try a box or two and see if it works for you. HTH. Sincerely. brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:24   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@SBA View Post
The guy at the shop used a mic. Did about 3 rounds, two were in the higher .340 (can't remember exactly) and the other one that really stuck out was .334.5. Funny thing is as soon as I handed them the ammo their immediate response was, "Wow, look at this crap." lol...I'm not exactly sure whats causing the erratic keyholing pattern, could be undersizing, could be the junk plating, or a combination of both...but that should be up to the manufacturer to do a RCA.

Moral of the story, 1. its junk...the proof is on the paper.... 2. My customer experience is the lack thereof. Not worth the risk and/or headaches.
It's definitely undersized bullets. A 0.340" bullet is barely touching a land much less the grooves. Not uncommon to have ndersized bullets w/ the cheaper plated but that is ridiculous. I have never used their ammo, it is remnauf I believe. I wonder who makes their bullets for them?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-07-2011 at 10:26..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27   #10
Quarter Tank

interesting. Ive shot both 9mm and .40 usaammo. but they were both new manufacture and not reloads.

I will keep an eye on the next time i use it at the range
Quarter Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50   #11
Leigh

Unless they have gotten their act together (sounds as if they have not), I have been warned against their use (in any caliber) by MANY shooterts.

It's been at least 5 years (possibly more) but GT had a lenghty thread running on this same ammo and all its issues; some quite dangerous.

Rarely would I not shoot commercial ammo based on hearsay....USA brand is the exception.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:12   #12
cleanneon98

I ran cci blazer that had a similar larger bullet as the wwb. I just got federal champ where he bullet looks smaller like the ones in the middle. They fire equally well though. Weird issue youve got.
Mosin Nagant 91/30 1941 Izhevsk
Remington 1911R1 Enhanced
cleanneon98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:51   #13
WiskyT
Malcontent

I wasn't there when they were measured, but I don't see how a 0.334" bullet would even stay in a 9mm case.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:16   #14
gadgetnut259

I almost ordered 1000 rounds of this stuff two weeks ago. Boy am I glad I didn't!! Just as I was about to do it, Cabela's had S&B 115gr. FMJ on sale for $9.99 a box w/free shipping so I got that instead. Talk about "dodging a bullet"!
gadgetnut259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:39   #15
Joe@SBA

So here is an update. Finally after persistent phone calls throughout everyday, I finally reached a human..I think. Talked to a guy named Steve, he mentioned that they have been extremely busy filling orders while they change suppliers(no excuse, not my problem). He asked for my info and what was happening with the ammo, I then started to state that they have 4 emails stating this info. But I digress, gave him the info, he looked up my order, told him what was going on, then he said that his boss was out for the day and that I should be getting a call back "in the early part of next week." I kept asking who would I get the call from and at first it seemed like he didn't want to give me his boss' name, by the 3rd time I asked he finally gave me a name of Robert. So, I will give them till next Wed noon time...after that I'm writing a script at work to have my phone call there every 30 seconds till someone picks up lol.