Important Notice: The site is currently being upgraded to a new software system. This process could take a day or two to complete. During that time, we are going to leave the site up here, on its old software. WHAT GETS POSTED HERE DURING THIS TRANSITION WILL NOT BE COPIED OVER ONTO THE NEW SITE, WHEN THE UPGRADE IS COMPLETE. When we swap over, the content posted while this message is visible will be lost. We wanted to give you folks a place to hang out and talk while we worked though. We will let you know when we are finished. Please pardon the inconvenience, during this transition.

Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:03   #1
Trey83

CZ 75 SP01 Shadow review.

I already posted this in the General Firearms Forum but I realize their was a CZ forum so I am posting here as well.

Getting a new gun always make me feel like a kid on Christmas morning all over again. Well this time is a little different because not only is it a new gun but it happens to be my new favorite as well. After looking through CZ's lineup and talking with the guys at the CZ custom shop (great guys by the way) I ordered a new CZ SP01 Shadow.

First thing I noticed when I took it out of the box for the first time was how solid it felt. You could shake it all you want but you won't notice even a hint rattling or any other movement, it feels like a solid block of steel. In single action there is a very minimal amount of take up followed by a very crisp break that I would estimate to be right around 4#. There is maybe 1/16 of an inch over travel after the hammer is released. The double action pull still has a little bit of the stacking remaining that you would find on the standard/tactical SP01 but with a manual safety I won't be using it often if at all. The ergonomics of the pistol are amazing.

In my opinion the enhancements made to the Shadow are worth every penny over the other SP01 models. They combine a CZ 75 Champion inspired hammer with the 85 combat slide (eliminates firing pin safety) to achieve the incredible trigger the Shadow has. The extended mag release makes magazine changes a much faster affair while allowing you maintain proper hold throughout the process. The safety comes from the CZ 75 SA which repositions the safety giving for more room for your thumb to rest while the safety is disengaged. The safety is a more pronounced upgrade than I was expecting. It made it more comfortable and allows for a little bit higher hold on the grip. Fitted to the front is a fiber optic sight that is backed by a fixed serrated blade sight. The sights are a great compromise of duty and target sights that give very fast target acquisition. If you are looking for a range dedicated gun you may want to have them replace the rear with an adjustable sight. If, like me, you plan to use it for home defense and range duty the stock sights are wonderful. The mag well is beveled for faster and easier reloads (Can't recall if the other SP01's have this or not) which is a nice feature. And Lastly, the Shadow comes with three 18 round mags that otherwise sell for close to $50 each.

I fired 200 rounds of Winchester white box, Federal premium, and American Eagle ammo without any hiccups. All ammo was of the 115gr full metal jacket variety. I won't comment too much about the reliability because the gun is brand new. CZ however, does have an outstanding reputation for being reliable duty guns and I expect no different in this case.

Here is the first 5 shot group fired with American Eagle ammo fired off hand at 7 yards.
CZ Club

Still at 7 yards off hand, I fired 40 rounds of WWB at the torso and 50 rounds of Federal Premium at the head.
CZ Club

Just a couple of pictures for your viewing pleasure
CZ Club

CZ Club
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04   #2
Morgo

Congrats!

The Shadow is an excellent 9mm, one of my favourites.
Morgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 19:39   #3
Trey83

Guys I am looking to get a nice set of wood grips. I have seen the grip options from the custom shop. Are there any other options that you would recommend?
Old 03-01-2011, 14:30   #4
wwdkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey83 View Post
Guys I am looking to get a nice set of wood grips. I have seen the grip options from the custom shop. Are there any other options that you would recommend?
Some of my favorite wood grips are either Nills grips (http://www.nill-shop.com/index.php?cPath=83000) or Hakan Pek grips (http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/)

Nill grips
CZ Club

Hakan Pek's Turkish walnut grips:
CZ Club

Photos courtesy of Ken Lunde's website

Last edited by wwdkd; 03-01-2011 at 14:33..
wwdkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:01   #5
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

That does it! I am going to have to buy one - preferably with a single action trigger.

I have fired both the SA and the DA versions, and they function really well for range / competition work. A bit heavy for habitual CCW, this gun looks like a keeper for open/ production division IPSC shooting. The sight picture recovery between shots is very, very fast and the gun seems to point naturally. Other than that, it has a wonderful form to complement its function, making it a serious candidate for the sexiest gun ever made (nicer than the 92FS Inox IMO).
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.

Last edited by Lior; 03-05-2011 at 12:04..
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 13:47   #6
deeHKman
"It Is Written"

Congrats, CZ's are great guns.

deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 16:48   #7
Trey83

Thanks guys. She is a keeper for sure.

Here are the new grips.
CZ Club
Old 04-22-2011, 15:00   #8
bambooi

How is the recoil comparison with a g17? I heard these are suppose to have less recoil. Is that true?
bambooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 20:49   #9
TacticalShot

Nice grips. Who made them?
TacticalShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18   #10
reminiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalShot View Post
I believe he got those from CZ customs, which according to their website is made by CZ
Manufacturer: CZ UB
reminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19   #11
reminiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooi View Post
How is the recoil comparison with a g17? I heard these are suppose to have less recoil. Is that true?
to me, the recoil feels like a .22. I've never shot a G17, I have a G19, and the trigger pull and recoil of the CZ compared to the G19 day and night.
reminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 20:13   #12
bac1023

Congrats!

Looks great.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 20:14   #13
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalShot View Post
They're CZ grips.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:02   #14
deeHKman
"It Is Written"

Dry firing and shooting will only smooth the trigger out alot more. CZ's are great guns i personally like da/sa guns and revolvers the most. Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by reminiz View Post
to me, the recoil feels like a .22. I've never shot a G17, I have a G19, and the trigger pull and recoil of the CZ compared to the G19 day and night.

deeHKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:29   #15
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Here's my Shadow, after two years or so of owning and shooting it:
CZ Club
Sexy IMO.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:39   #16
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I recently went from the G19 to the CZ 75.
Mine are a CZ75BD Police and CZ75D Compact.
Completely different feel from the Glock.
Recoil feels really lighter and both are more accurate in my hands.
Platform is heavier but I do not notice when carrying.
A very good platform.
Old 11-09-2013, 19:35   #17
r3dot

Nice! I'm a huge fan of the CZ DA triggers.
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:39   #18
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I just started shooting one in competition. I really like the way they shoot. Just got to get used to how they point, as my first shot seems to suffer.

Also, I can't reach the safety with my thumb. Not that it matters, I need to shoot the first shot DA anyway in most competitions I shoot. Just wish the ledge was further back like on some of the Tanfoglio models.

Also want to try experimenting with grips. The one I'm using has the swell toward the back strap of the grip. I want to try one that doesn't have the swell, maybe with a slimmer profile as well.. The blue ones pictured above look interesting.

Off topic, doesn't seem like the CZ forum gets a lot of traffic. Too bad, as I'm a complete CZ NOOB, and am hoping to learn a lot more about the CZ lineup.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote