Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2011, 17:06   #1
JerryinPA

How to mount a Surefire M300A ?

I want to put a Surefire M300A on my AR.

I do not have any rails on the forearm. I don't want to use a VFG. I want to leave the light off most of the time, but be able to attach it quickly. I'll just use the tailswitch... not a tape switch.

Would I be better off to use one of the railed sections that attaches to my forearm, one of the railed sections that bolts through the front sight base, or one of the railed sections that bolts onto the bayonet lug?

Or, am I missing an option?

Thanks,

Jerry.
JerryinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:11   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryinPA View Post
I want to put a Surefire M300A on my AR.

I do not have any rails on the forearm. I don't want to use a VFG. I want to leave the light off most of the time, but be able to attach it quickly. I'll just use the tailswitch... not a tape switch.

Would I be better off to use one of the railed sections that attaches to my forearm, one of the railed sections that bolts through the front sight base, or one of the railed sections that bolts onto the bayonet lug?

Or, am I missing an option?

Thanks,

Jerry.
What kind of handguards are you using? That makes a big difference. If you have MOE handguards already, then the MOE illumination kit, or a IWC mount would work nicely.

Edit: I would not suggest mounting a 300 scout with a bayonet lug adapter, as it will put the light in a really bad position - both for activation, and the shadow cast by the barrel will be at 12 o'clock. Ideally, that shadow is either non-existent, or is cast in a direction out of your main cone of vision.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 12-08-2011 at 17:13..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:17   #3
JerryinPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
What kind of handguards are you using? That makes a big difference. If you have MOE handguards already, then the MOE illumination kit, or a IWC mount would work nicely.

Edit: I would not suggest mounting a 300 scout with a bayonet lug adapter, as it will put the light in a really bad position - both for activation, and the shadow cast by the barrel will be at 12 o'clock. Ideally, that shadow is either non-existent, or is cast in a direction out of your main cone of vision.
I just have the basic, basic handguards... not MOE.

OK, I can see where the bayonet lug adapter would cast a nasty barrel shadow... I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks,

Jerry.
JerryinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:25   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryinPA View Post
I just have the basic, basic handguards... not MOE.

OK, I can see where the bayonet lug adapter would cast a nasty barrel shadow... I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks,

Jerry.
Unless you have something against them, I'd suggest investing in MOE handguards, and either the MOE illumination kit, or an IWC cantilever mount to get your light up and running. You won't be looking at a significant investment (especially compared the cost of a M300), and the MOE handguards will give you a lot of options later on for upgrades.

Edit: Learn something new every day. IWC is making a mount similar to the one I linked already, but it fits standard M4 type handguards. It will still get your light in the right position, but won't require a handguard change.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 12-08-2011 at 17:31..
Old 12-09-2011, 04:23   #5
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

What Plank said.

I'd use a MOE, piece of rail and a LaRue mount but the IWC isn't bad.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23   #6
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

I used to have one of these, it's a great mount for someone in your position.

IDK about the SF 300 situation though.

Edit: it does come with inserts to allow you to fit lights with different size bodies.

Last edited by Disregarded9-side; 12-09-2011 at 10:27..
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 16:42   #7
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disregarded9-side View Post
I used to have one of these, it's a great mount for someone in your position.

IDK about the SF 300 situation though.

Edit: it does come with inserts to allow you to fit lights with different size bodies.
Nope. The body of the light has a protruding, flat section that the standard rail mount screws to. I doubt very many ring-type mounts would fit.
Old 12-09-2011, 17:20   #8
JBUS
I'mHellaJelly!

If I was running standard handguards on my LE6920 I'd go with IWC and have suggested the mount to several friends/beat partners who are running standard handguards because they don't want to pay out on a rail system.

If you decide to run a rail in the future, go with Gear Sector or Haley's new mount (which will be replacing my GS mount soon).

I run a Gear Sector for my M300A on my DD rail. It rocks.....

Last edited by JBUS; 12-09-2011 at 17:21..
JBUS is offline   Reply With Quote