Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:27   #1
stevus

Want to start loading my own ,need advice

So what does it take to start handloading 10mm . How big of an investment is involved ? Equipment recommendations?
TX
stevus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Stevus, to the forum, when it comes to handloading the sky is the limit! But using a simple single stage press you can load for economy but if your needs are competition shooting needing high volume of ammo the progressive type press will benifit the situation.

I would sugest something like this, complete except die set for the cartridge you want to load. Good scale and handloading manual are included and very necessary!
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/646...ess-master-kit

A nice caliper for measuring the seating depth and other measuring requirements will be a must have!

Last edited by _The_Shadow; 12-12-2011 at 10:39..
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28   #3
arushus
Biggest Member

check out the 10mm reloading forum, there is a great thread there about what one would need to start loading for the ten.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35   #4
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit(single stage)-$300

10mm carbide dies-$50

Brass, bullets, powder, primers-$100

Safety glasses, earplugs I assume you already have.

A single stage should serve you fine for a couple hundred rounds per month. If you plan on shooting a lot more than that, it may be a good idea to go to a progressive press(about $500 and up). Just start with one round at a time until you are comfortable with the steps involved.

You can also get a hand press (I think Lee makes one) that will do the job just fine, but is slower. I don't have any personal experience with these, but probably would have started with these if I had known they existed.

You can find better prices on the press and dies, especially if you buy used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41

Last edited by Breadman03; 12-12-2011 at 10:36..
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:52   #5
rcd567

In the for what it's worth department...I have an old RCBS single stage that I've had for about 35 years. I do most of my loading in the winter months here when there's not much else to do. Jan. Feb. and March. I'll end up with a couple thousand rounds for the spring, summer, fall.

I find reloading is just as enjoyable as shooting and it adds to the target shooting experience.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:25   #6
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I second what The Shadow suggests. Good quality stuff in that kit with a high quality press. In addition to the dies that The Shadow mentioned, also needed would be a shell holder and calipers.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:46   #7
ModGlock17

The guys around here are good! They helped me getting started.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1353453

Now, I'm at least 7,000 thousand rounds into reloading, very young compared to the guys here. Saved a bunch of money. The equipment is well paid for, break-even, back before the first hundreds of rounds.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 17:51   #8
TRaGiK

Send a message via Yahoo to TRaGiK
You can start up for next to nothing.

2 months ago, I bought a Glock 20. Not satisfied with "normal" ammo (that can be found locally without mail ordering), I decided to reload my own ammo.

I picked up a Lee Anniversary kit ($90 at Midwayusa) which came with almost everything I needed. Dies were ~$50. If you don't have a set of calipers, that'll run you another $20 to $50.

Not by any means a high end kit, but it works well.

So for under $200, you'll have everything you need except components.

Primers are ~$35 per 1k, projectiles are $20 per 100 to $120+ per 1k, powder is $17-25 a pound, and brass is ~$165 per 1k for new Starline.

Starting with once fired brass, I can do ~50 rounds per hour with it. Not a lot, but plenty for me. I enjoy doing "only" 50 rounds per hour.

Last edited by TRaGiK; 12-12-2011 at 17:52..
TRaGiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48   #9
dsb1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post

I would sugest something like this, complete except die set for the cartridge you want to load. Good scale and handloading manual are included and very necessary!
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/646...ess-master-kit

A nice caliper for measuring the seating depth and other measuring requirements will be a must have!
I too want to start loading. After reading around and talking to some of my local comp shooters I decided to go with the kit Shadow recommended. It is a solid kit to start with and from what I can tell is less likely to have durability issues than the less expensive options. They also have a $50 rebate ATM, which brings it a bit easier to upgrade to.
dsb1829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56   #10
toofman

What are peoples feelings on the hornaday lock and load single stage kit?
toofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 13:04   #11
Any Cal.

I bought the Lee Anniversary kit a looooong time ago, and it still works fine. At one point I broke it, mostly my fault, and a phone call and $15 later i was set. You will need to add a decent scale ($75) and calipers ($25) as mentioned. Once you start reloading, you can find deals on powder and bullets, especially if you aren't too particular about your loads.

I get the 50rds an hour quoted earlier, but if I already have everything set up, and work at, and do 100, they can get done in an hour also.

My current plinking loads consist of primers I bought for $20/K, powder I was given lbs of for free, and pulled FMJs from RMR for $27/250 shipped. $6.40 per box isn't too bad. If I drop back to lead, it goes down to $4.40 per box.

Last edited by Any Cal.; 12-13-2011 at 13:05..
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 13:26   #12
oceanbob

Shadow has the best advice for starting out.! And his comment that 'the sky's the limit' is correct. Once you start out on affordable machines and decide you like saving money and the reloading process (which by itself is a fun activity )...then you start to look around at a 'Progressive Machine'.

My personal choice are machines made by Dillon. One good dillon resource is Brian Enos..who breaks down exact costs and machines here:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

I started out 30 years ago as well with single-stage handloading. After I decided I really enjoyed the hobby but wanted to make ammunition in higher quantities, I bought a Dillon 1050. She can pump out 1000 rounds per hour. Then I bought a Dillon 550B for a second set-up....it can do 700 rounds per hour. I did get the optional case feeder which does help the speed. But I can also use the 550B as a turret press and hand feed what I want, if I am just cranking out 10 rounds for load testing.

Be careful, handloading is addicting. Here in Kalifornistan, we are constantly fighting off ammo restrictions and even ammo registration laws. In certain areas we cannot order ammo shipped to your home. (San Franciso is one area). Certain towns and cities also have restrictions on ammunition sales and delivery as well. So I feel by even having the ability to handload, I am keeping Big Brother out of my world.

Here's my reloading room.

Be well and keep us informed on what machine you decide to get.!

Bob

The 10 Ring
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 13:36   #13
oceanbob

Some of these companies might be gone now. However this is a good start:

<META name=Generator content="Microsoft SafeHTML"><STYLE>.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}</STYLE>Here is a list of manufactures and or companies that you should know about if you plan on reloading and buying reloading supplies:

Listed in no Particular Order

Where to find "Bullet"s:
www.dardascastbullets.com
www.berrysmfg.com/
www.missouribullet.com/
www.twoalphabullets.com/
www.rmrbullets.com/
www.rozedist.com
www.montanagoldbullet.com/index.html
www.precisiondelta.com/index1.htm
www.xtremebullets.com/index.htm
www.scharch.com/index.php
www.grafs.com/
www.midwayusa.com/
www.gamaliel.com/
www.rrarms.com/
www.wideners.com
www.sinclairintl.com/
www.natchezss.com/index.cfm
www.tjconevera.com/index.html
http://www.rmrbullets.com/
http://www.twoalphabullets.com/ [/COLOR]

Who has "Primers?"
www.cabelas.com
www.powdervalleyinc.com/
www.grafs.com/
www.midwayusa.com/
www.wideners.com
www.sinclairintl.com/
www.rrarms.com/
www.gamaliel.com/

Where can I get "Brass"
http://www.starlinebrass.com/
www.oncefiredbrass.net/
www.berrysmfg.com/
www.midwayusa.com/
www.grafs.com/
www.gamaliel.com/
www.powdervalleyinc.com/
www.starlinebrass.com
www.tjconevera.com/index.html
www.rrarms.com/

Reloading Press and Tools:
www.kempfgunshop.com/
www.gamaliel.com/
www.dillonprecision.com/
www.eguns.com
www.brianenos.com/
www.wideners.com
www.sinclairintl.com/
www.leeprecision.com/html/index.htm
www.hornady.com/
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
www.midwayusa.com/
www.rrarms.com/

Dies:
www.kempfgunshop.com/
www.dillonprecision.com/
www.eguns.com
www.brianenos.com/
www.leeprecision.com/html/index.htm
www.hornady.com/
www.wideners.com
www.sinclairintl.com/
www.midwayusa.com/
www.rrarms.com/

Misc. Tools and other places to spend your kids Inheritance The 10 Ring
www.rrarms.com/
www.berrysmfg.com/
www.kempfgunshop.com/
www.dillonprecision.com/
www.eguns.com
www.brianenos.com/
www.leeprecision.com/html/index.html
www.hornady.com/
www.harborfreight.com/
www.wideners.com
www.sinclairintl.com/
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
www.jandjproducts.com/.
www.midwayusa.com/
www.gamaliel.com/
Old 12-13-2011, 16:16   #14
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

OceanBob, Great reference post !!! The thing about learning on the single stage is simply doing the steps one at a time to grasp a full understanding of each...

_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 16:44   #15
ModGlock17

Oceanbob, That's one heck of a toy room! I'd love to have one like that. Does it come with a maid who'd do clean up and coffee for you?
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 18:34   #16
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
OceanBob, Great reference post !!! The thing about learning on the single stage is simply doing the steps one at a time to grasp a full understanding of each...

Agreed Shadow. Even if one chooses to add a progressive press, there is always room for a nice single stage press on the bench. I load long range rifle stuff too, and like my green press for that.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:27   #17
stevus

Wow I forgot i posted this . Awesome info Thanks to everyone!!!
stevus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 19:51   #18
07hemi4me

After thinking about reloading for the past few years, I have finally decided to ump in and do it. This thread has answered some of my questions. BUT...

I have decided to go with the Dillon 550B, from what I have seen there is really NO deals on these, The price Dillon charges, is the price everyone else (that I have found) charges. Anyone know of a better price than the $430.

I have already purchased most of my accessories, digital scale and calipers, case prep stuff, Now just need the press, dies etc..

Was going to start off with 10mm, 45ACP going with the deluxe quick change kit to minimize change out time. with later expanding to .38/.357 and maybe 9mm

Also will need to pick up primers and powder, I have over 1000 once fired, I think it is starline brass in 10mm (Georgia arms) and even more .45

Thanks
07hemi4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53   #19
oceanbob

I think you've picked the best manual progressive around. No, Dillons are never on discount. Just buy thru Brian Enos on my link above (a great guy and incredible resource) or order direct from Dillon. Same price either way but perhaps Brian may have a package deal on your order. (call him first)

Edit...for sure call Brian first...reading this thread confirms his customer service and pricing is FIRST RATE..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...highlight=Enos

Either way, call up Dillon and get on their mailing list for the 'Blue Press'. A small monthly catalog that arrives in the mail. They sell more than reloading equipment, they do magazines, primers, boolits, holsters, lonewolf barrels, AR stuff, much more than we imagine.

Good luck and welcome to Reloading.!

Take care
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07hemi4me View Post
After thinking about reloading for the past few years, I have finally decided to ump in and do it. This thread has answered some of my questions. BUT...

I have decided to go with the Dillon 550B, from what I have seen there is really NO deals on these, The price Dillon charges, is the price everyone else (that I have found) charges. Anyone know of a better price than the $430.

I have already purchased most of my accessories, digital scale and calipers, case prep stuff, Now just need the press, dies etc..

Was going to start off with 10mm, 45ACP going with the deluxe quick change kit to minimize change out time. with later expanding to .38/.357 and maybe 9mm

Also will need to pick up primers and powder, I have over 1000 once fired, I think it is starline brass in 10mm (Georgia arms) and even more .45

Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 16:36   #20
07hemi4me

OceanBob... Thanks for the heads up on ordering from Brian Enos, he is a great guy, http://www.brianenos.com/ He held my hand thru the whole ordering process and saved me some money in the process. He took the time to explain anything and everything I had a question for.

Called him left a voice mail to call me and within 10 min my phone was ringing.

Ordered a Dillon 550B with all of the dies and quick change kits, caliber conversions kits to reload 10mm, .45ACP and 9mm.

Total Cost was a few months of ammo...

Now I have to get finished cleaning out my shed in the backyard to convert it into my reloading house....

Thanks again
07hemi4me is offline   Reply With Quote