Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:37   #1
SCmasterblaster

Mindset just before shooting

I have been a student of self-defense shootings for almost 40 years, and I have read where armed interveners have hesitated for some amount of time (before shooting) to consider the legal consequences of armed intervention. My question is - is there anything more important than the protection of innocent lives from the illegal and deadly actions of an armed criminal? I know that in my trained mind, I have decided that if I am ever threatened by an armed felon, I am going to shoot and keep shooting until the criminal is down and out permanently. With 17 rounds of +P+ 115gr jhp 9x19s, I don't anticipate needing more than five rounds, leaving me 12 rounds for whatever comes next. What I will also have to get for whatever comes next is a good criminal lawyer. My best advice is to just do the right and necessary thing and let the lawyers argue about it later. Am I off base here?
Old 12-12-2011, 21:38   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I'd say yeah, maybe a little off base, SC. Here's why.

I've talked with too many people who froze because they weren't sure they could handle the aftermath. That's been known to get folks killed. I've found the people who fully understand the legal, sociological, and psychological aftermath of having had to use deadly force -- AND UNDERSTAND IT TO THE DEGREE THAT THEY KNOW THEY CAN HANDLE IT -- don't suffer from that deadly hesitation. That's why I've spent decades incorporating that training along with the shooting elements and the tactical elements.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 18:51   #3
SCmasterblaster

I will therefore

not hesitate for even an instant. If someone threatens my life, they will be on the ground dead in less than five seconds.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 12-13-2011 at 18:52..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 17:00   #4
RussP

Another member sent me this about the topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02
While I am prepared, plan and train to have no hesitation in defense of self and loved ones; I cannot say the same would be true where others are concerned. It is not within my preconceived plans to make an armed intervention in cases where I donít know the participants and the history of what got them to that place and time; however, I can conceive a handful of cases where I might.

In my personal opinion, an armed intervention in defense of strangers where nothing other than the previous 30 seconds is known is not wise. Hesitating and further observing may be just what is necessary to make certain we donít make a mistake weíll live the rest of our lives to regret. At the very least, take no action until you can determine who the criminal is.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19   #5
SCmasterblaster

Thanks Russ

That brings up some side issues for sure. It makes me think . . . . I guess that I'll stay with my plan. Draw and shoot when I feel distinctly threatened with deadly force, and shoot until the attacker is down and dead.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 12-21-2011 at 13:52..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote