Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2011, 23:37   #1
Detectorist

Shot fired, Atlanta airport.

Oops.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/12/travel...ml?hpt=hp_bn13

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 23:48   #2
Ajon412

Quote:
Transportation Security Administration screeners reported the gun to Atlanta police officer N.J. Phillips, the officer wrote in an Atlanta Police Department report. The gun's owner was telling Phillips how to clear the loaded .22 Magnum revolver when it was accidentally discharged
Quote:
The gun's owner, Richard Popkin of Kathleen, Georgia, told Phillips he didn't realize the gun was still in his bag, according to the police report. Popkin said he originally intended to pack the bag in his checked luggage, but he removed it because he was concerned about the weight limit for his checked bag, according to the report.
...Really??
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 23:59   #3
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Found a picture of the officer.

Cop Talk
Old 12-13-2011, 00:01   #4
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNREMTP View Post
Found a picture of the officer.

Cop Talk
Man, that's some great research!

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09   #5
RussP

Whatchawanna bet it was an American Arms revolver...

Cop Talk

http://www.northamericanarms.com/fir...nums/wasp.html

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41   #6
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Give me 6 - 8 months I will let you know what happened I will end up seeing that gun owner in a class I teach.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02   #7
MarcDW
MDW Guns

If it was a NAA and you are not familiar, you can make the mistake.
In order to get the cylinder out, you have to pull the hammer back one click.
Of cause if you pull it all the way, you can't get it out.
So ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 13:15   #8
SgtScott31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
...Really??
The TSA discovers about 90 handguns per month on average at the security checkpoint in airports across the U.S. That's 3 a day! I'm an airport LEO and I can back that up. We probably get called by TSA about once a week for a firearm or other weapon in someone's carry-on bag. Bad thing is, 99.5% of the owners are law-abiding permit holders. We are required to charge them with unlawful carry where I work. Some airports allow them to check it or return it to their vehicle. Regardless if charged by PD or not, a TSA civil penalty for firearm at the checkpoint ranges between $2500 and $7,000. OUCH.

Last edited by SgtScott31; 12-14-2011 at 13:16..
SgtScott31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 14:11   #9
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
The TSA discovers about 90 handguns per month on average at the security checkpoint in airports across the U.S. That's 3 a day! I'm an airport LEO and I can back that up. We probably get called by TSA about once a week for a firearm or other weapon in someone's carry-on bag. Bad thing is, 99.5% of the owners are law-abiding permit holders. We are required to charge them with unlawful carry where I work. Some airports allow them to check it or return it to their vehicle. Regardless if charged by PD or not, a TSA civil penalty for firearm at the checkpoint ranges between $2500 and $7,000. OUCH.
After Clayton county gets through the. Average fine by TSA is 5000.00

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 12-14-2011, 14:15   #10
Ajon412

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. My comment was directed more at the statement regarding the weight of weapon and this being his reason for not wanting to store the weapon in his checked luggage...As far as the 90 per month / 3 per day, I'm surprised it isn't higher....
Old 12-14-2011, 14:17   #11
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
After Clayton county gets through the. Average fine by TSA is 5000.00

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Holy Crap !!!!!!!! That's a big hit......
Old 12-14-2011, 15:17   #12
larry_minn
Silver Membership

So they catch 3 guns a day? Wonder how many get thru? I really feel safe. (heavy on sarcasm please)

I still recall one time I was trying to check a firearm. Ticket agent got it in their head I was wanting to carry it on the plane. I could NOT get them to understand I wanted it checked.
I finally got that done but they had me fill out a multip page form. (I thought we had gotten past me having gun on my person) Thought this was new policy.
So IIRC one copy stays with ticket agent, one copy I had to give to TSA at security checkpoint, one copy MUST go to Pilot of plane (BEFORE I ENTER may I add) (that I recall because I asked how do I talk Pilot to leave plane to give me permission)... To cover that I gave it to flight attendent at plane door then waited (outside plane) till Pilot looked it over, asked "what is this?" told me to come forward.
Then convince Pilot I was NOT armed.. It actually would have been easier to bring my gun then explain at every step I was not armed....

Yes it was yrs ago. (post 2002) I am SURE things are much better. (cue sarcasm again.)

@ 25 yrs ago I had a friend who carried a High Power. He was speeding, pulled over, informed, Officer took gun, attempted to unload, and dang near shot my friend. (this was revolver days)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 18:25   #13
RussP

I read the title and thought kwikrnu had returned to Hartsfield and had an accident!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 21:42   #14
SgtScott31

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
So they catch 3 guns a day? Wonder how many get thru? I really feel safe. (heavy on sarcasm please)

I still recall one time I was trying to check a firearm. Ticket agent got it in their head I was wanting to carry it on the plane. I could NOT get them to understand I wanted it checked.
I finally got that done but they had me fill out a multip page form. (I thought we had gotten past me having gun on my person) Thought this was new policy.
So IIRC one copy stays with ticket agent, one copy I had to give to TSA at security checkpoint, one copy MUST go to Pilot of plane (BEFORE I ENTER may I add) (that I recall because I asked how do I talk Pilot to leave plane to give me permission)... To cover that I gave it to flight attendent at plane door then waited (outside plane) till Pilot looked it over, asked "what is this?" told me to come forward.
Then convince Pilot I was NOT armed.. It actually would have been easier to bring my gun then explain at every step I was not armed....

Yes it was yrs ago. (post 2002) I am SURE things are much better. (cue sarcasm again.)

@ 25 yrs ago I had a friend who carried a High Power. He was speeding, pulled over, informed, Officer took gun, attempted to unload, and dang near shot my friend. (this was revolver days)
I have yet to hear of one incident where a firearm got through the checkpoint. I know for a fact it hasn't happened in the near 10 yrs I've been at my agency. Even working along side with TSA I have some unfriendly opinions about some of their policies, but I can definitely say that the screening is better. Prior to them, we had low bid contract security. The screeners had problems communicating with one another because they all spoke different languages. This is not to imply there's anything wrong with that, but there's definitely been an improvement in the screening since TSAs inception. Many disagree with how some of it is conducted, but I have yet to see anything significantly dangerous get through.
SgtScott31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:55   #15
MarcDW
MDW Guns

Quote:
I have yet to hear of one incident where a firearm got through the checkpoint. I know for a fact it hasn't happened in the near 10 yrs I've been at my agency...
But then at least once an Air Marshals forget her gun in the bathroom!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 13:53   #16
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
I have yet to hear of one incident where a firearm got through the checkpoint. I know for a fact it hasn't happened in the near 10 yrs I've been at my agency. Even working along side with TSA I have some unfriendly opinions about some of their policies, but I can definitely say that the screening is better. Prior to them, we had low bid contract security. The screeners had problems communicating with one another because they all spoke different languages. This is not to imply there's anything wrong with that, but there's definitely been an improvement in the screening since TSAs inception. Many disagree with how some of it is conducted, but I have yet to see anything significantly dangerous get through.
I am too lazy to do search right now. (from memory) One was a couple of newlyweds who were going to Mexico. They needed a extra bag and the MIL offered her bag. (not knowing her loaded revolver was inside) as a carry on. The new bride loaded her stuff in and went thru security. IIRC the plane landed in TX and waiting for connecting flight to Mexico she "found" the gun. (while in "sterile" area) Knowing they did NOT want to go into Mexico with firearm they made the mistake of finding a Officer (while still in sterile area)....

I had some ammo on me (actually my jacket which went thru scanner) I had not noticed in the many zippered pockets. Plus as said above they TRIED to get me to bring my gun on plane. It was amazingly HARD to convince them that I did NOT want (ok I wanted to but knew I couldn't) bring my gun on plane on my person/loaded.....
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 14:17   #17
Shinesintx

I accidentally got a G22 mag thru screening at Love field in Dallas. Found it in my backpack when I checked into my hotel. Oops. Posted the whole story a while back and got the thread locked.
Old 12-15-2011, 19:19   #18
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER

The guy was something of a moron on all counts...

The gun was loaded with snakeshot rounds. Why? The owner said he carried it for protection, but didn't want to hurt anyone; "just wave it around to scare them." If he was forced to fire, snakeshot hopefully wouldn't be fatal.

In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote