Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:00   #1
win

which 308 AR

Looking to get an 308 AR. I would like a 6 pos stock and a shorter barrel and flattop.
bushmaster, dpms?
Plan on using it for shooting and hunting.
My armalite ar10 20inch heavy barrel is just too heavy to carry very far.. Well too heavy to shoot free handed.
My dad just got a bushmaster ocr.
They do not use the same mag.
just wondering what your thought are?
thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
Looking to get an 308 AR. I would like a 6 pos stock and a shorter barrel and flattop.
bushmaster, dpms?
Plan on using it for shooting and hunting.
My armalite ar10 20inch heavy barrel is just too heavy to carry very far.. Well too heavy to shoot free handed.
My dad just got a bushmaster ocr.
They do not use the same mag.
just wondering what your thought are?
thanks
Do you have a target budget? What are you planning to hunt?
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I would not pick either,.........I would suggest getting a lighter weight
upper for the Armalite you already own.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:10   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I would not pick either,.........I would suggest getting a lighter weight
upper for the Armalite you already own.
This would probably be the best option.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:19   #5
surf

A few things to consider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcFUEeUX1OE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:22   #6
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

I have several SI Defense AR10s. I have a light weight 16" and a Match 22" and a few in between. Reasonably priced. Uppers and lowers are made from the same piece of aluminum. They use a pallet CNC machine. I get sub 1/2" @100 yds with the match and 3/4" at 100 w/ the 16".

http://www.si-defense.com/

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 13:04   #7
win

I will hunt deer. I would like to keep it to a 1K or so.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:22   #8
DieselNut

Send a message via AIM to DieselNut
I was planning on going this route with my build but with your price listed it may or may not be for you: http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...+Set&groupid=6

Of course you'll have to buy a good barrel and all the other parts you'd need. Looks like a rock solid platform though.

Last edited by DieselNut; 12-19-2011 at 07:24..
DieselNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I will hunt deer. I would like to keep it to a 1K or so.
Then my suggestion would be to invest the money into a quality upper for your existing AR-10, and swap uppers as needed.
Old 12-19-2011, 15:47   #10
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

The 7.75 pound ORC is probably the lightest .308 AR around. Mine shoots 1.5 inch groups with Federal GMM and my Aimpoint. I have not put a scope on it to check if could do better than that. Does your Dad have a scope on his? how does it shoot?

Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 16:12   #11
win

Dad has just got it. He also just got a scope this last weekend. He just need to put them together and get a nice day where he can shoot it.
Old 12-20-2011, 15:37   #12
FatBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Then my suggestion would be to invest the money into a quality upper for your existing AR-10, and swap uppers as needed.
This ^^^^

and this is on sale http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...d-eb398588add2

Some people are like Slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
FatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 15:52   #13
Singlestack Wonder

Save a little longer and get a 18" Noveske upper (fits Armalite lowers). The Bushmasters, DPMS's, etc., don't come close in regards to accuracy.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=
Old 12-22-2011, 11:49   #14
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

I bought an SR25K and an Armalite AR10 before the DPMS came out. They both are well made but the gas system is too short on the SR25K and really beats up the rifle and the shooter. THe AR10 carbine gas system is two inches longer and makes a difference. I have several uppers for the Armalite. I bought a DPMS when they first came out because they were so cheap to buy. It is made of cheaper materials (lower grade aluminum receivers) but works well. The early DPMS plastic magazines don't hold up but the SR25 magazines work in it. I looked at the Bushmaster. The others have many interchangeable parts but the Bushmaster bolt has shorter bolt lugs to clear the FAL magazine. I didn't buy the Bushmaster. I prefer the Armalite magazines over the SR25 magazines but they both work. The Armalite, DPMS and SR25 bolts will interchange.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 12-22-2011 at 11:50..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 17:34   #15
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
I bought an SR25K and an Armalite AR10 before the DPMS came out. They both are well made but the gas system is too short on the SR25K and really beats up the rifle and the shooter. THe AR10 carbine gas system is two inches longer and makes a difference. I have several uppers for the Armalite. I bought a DPMS when they first came out because they were so cheap to buy. It is made of cheaper materials (lower grade aluminum receivers) but works well. The early DPMS plastic magazines don't hold up but the SR25 magazines work in it. I looked at the Bushmaster. The others have many interchangeable parts but the Bushmaster bolt has shorter bolt lugs to clear the FAL magazine. I didn't buy the Bushmaster. I prefer the Armalite magazines over the SR25 magazines but they both work. The Armalite, DPMS and SR25 bolts will interchange.
Bushmaster .308's have been made with parts and magazines interchangable with dPMS and Knights for over two years. Only the very early version used the FAL mags.

Old 12-22-2011, 18:14   #16
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
Save a little longer and get a 18" Noveske upper (fits Armalite lowers). The Bushmasters, DPMS's, etc., don't come close in regards to accuracy.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=
I guess you missed the part where the OP said that his Armalite was too heavy. Putting this upper on his Armalite lower will make a rifle about a pound and a half heavier than what he has now. Also, the free floated Bushmasters are heavy barrel DPMS rifles are as accurate as anything else on the market. The Noveske will hold its accuracy better through long strings better than the Bushy because it does not have a chrome lined barrel.

Old 12-22-2011, 18:23   #17
win

I alway thought the chrome lined barrel was better? I thought they lasted longer? Do you have to give up barrel lift for accuracy? How long will a chrome lined barrel last? How long will a chrome moly barrel last?
thanks again
Old 12-23-2011, 08:04   #18
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
Bushmaster .308's have been made with parts and magazines interchangable with dPMS and Knights for over two years. Only the very early version used the FAL mags.
Well 2 years isn't very long. I know Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS now have the same parent company. I thought the newest Bushmasters had changed but the ones that take FAL magazines were produced longer than the newest ones have been in production and there are more around than the newest type.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17   #19
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Well 2 years isn't very long. I know Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS now have the same parent company. I thought the newest Bushmasters had changed but the ones that take FAL magazines were produced longer than the newest ones have been in production and there are more around than the newest type.
The OP referenced the current version in his initial post.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:34   #20
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
I alway thought the chrome lined barrel was better? I thought they lasted longer? Do you have to give up barrel lift for accuracy? How long will a chrome lined barrel last? How long will a chrome moly barrel last?
thanks again
A barrel can be 'shot out' in 1000 rounds, or it can last for 20,000 rounds. .308 barrels last longer than 5.56 barrels if usage and configuration are the same.

The advantages of chrome is that it is harder than steel, maintains its hardness when hot, and resists oxidation even when hot. If you plan on doing regular mag dumps and do not need MOA accuracy, get a chrome lined barrel.

Disadvantage of chrome lined is loss of accuracy. A chrome lined barrel is a bi-metallic cylinder with metals which expand and contract at different rates when temperatures fluctuate. Point of impact changes with temperature. 1.5-2.5 moa accuracy is to be expected, more like 1.5 moa with a FF tube. If you want sub moa, get a stainless steel free floated short stiff barrel. No gaurantees, but that's where the odds are. Sighting in, marksmanship practice, and traditional hunting will not likely wear out a quality stainless barrel before you have shot many thousands of dollars in ammo. A replacement barrel is about 2-300 bucks.