Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-19-2011, 22:04   #1
trdvet

Possible layoffs for PA State Police

News Link

Quote:
An internal document is forecasting the possibility of layoffs at the Pennsylvania State Police.

The Patriot-News of Harrisburg, citing an internal document it obtained, reported Sunday that the agency is forecasting the potential for 400 to 500 trooper layoffs, or about 10 percent of the approximately 4,400 troopers, under a budget proposal aimed at trimming the department's spending.

The department offers full- or part-time police service to about two-thirds of Pennsylvania's municipalities, as well as complex DNA, ballistics and drug testing services, too.

The department's budget is around $900 million and even that may not be enough, according to the document, which mentions a freeze on new police academy cadet classes until 2013, closing five barracks and freezing civilian hires.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11346...#ixzz1h2o3d5tw
Any official word Deer Predator?
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 23:58   #2
tusk212

If they do this, it's not going to be good. They are running super low staffed as it is. I hope it is just a scare tactic because it is contract time. I rely on these guys for back up and they are solid guys.
Niner's Club #212
PA Glockers #125
Tactical Shotgun Club #212
tusk212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05   #3
JDR

I work in CA but flew to PA last year for a rape case where the statute was set to expire. The PSP who assisted me were terrific. They even picked me up from the airport and took me to my hotel so I didn't have to rent a car. If any of those guys are reading this thanks again, he pled to 30 years.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/25557293/detail.html
Old 12-20-2011, 05:55   #4
Patchman
Florist

For DP's sake, I hope this is just a barganing tactic.

If anything, the class may just be smaller than previously planned. If you have any contacts, it wouldn't hurt to ask about making sure you're in that smaller class.

In LE, you can never count on anything good until it's actually in your hands. So you just have to Hang In There, man!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 12-20-2011 at 06:00..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:38   #5
scottydl

Then-Governor Rod Blagojevich in Illinois (who is now about to head off to 14 years in federal prison) played these games with the Illinois State Police. One year he threatened to lay off the entire agency except his security detail. Another year they said the current academy class was going to be sent home, then last year it was going to be 300 troopers and 3-4 district offices being eliminated. None of it ever happened, and the state legislature magically found some loophole or "hidden money" right before the deadline every time. Hopefully this is the case for PA as well.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08   #6
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

I will never understand the logic of giving free stuff to worthless non-productive trash, while not being able to afford necessary services. Next time they need a cop or a fireman, maybe they should call some welfare bum????

The choice seems simple ....cut welfare to make up for shortfalls in the DPS budget.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:46   #7
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deployment Solu View Post
I will never understand the logic of giving free stuff to worthless non-productive trash, while not being able to afford necessary services. Next time they need a cop or a fireman, maybe they should call some welfare bum????

The choice seems simple ....cut welfare to make up for shortfalls in the DPS budget.
Oh how sweet that would be.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:08   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
Any official word Deer Predator?
Hope it all works out DP.. That would suck.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:21   #9
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deployment Solu View Post
You silly person... that means the welfare portion of our society would actually have to go BE PRODUCTIVE and possibly even GET A JOB. Can you imagine?????
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30   #10
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
You silly person... that means the welfare portion of our society would actually have to go BE PRODUCTIVE and possibly even GET A JOB. Can you imagine?????
Not anymore. No. Reality is here.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56   #11
rdrkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
For DP's sake, I hope this is just a bargaining tactic
Im not a PSP expert by any means. But If they laid off 500 troopers I think it would be something like everyone they've hired from 06 on and that's just not feasible. Especially with all the troopers getting ready to retire over the next few years.
rdrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:10   #12
tusk212

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrkt View Post
Im not a PSP expert by any means. But If they laid off 500 troopers I think it would be something like everyone they've hired from 06 on and that's just not feasible. Especially with all the troopers getting ready to retire over the next few years.
They are so low on Troopers now, it's not even funny. I know for a while (it think it was for a couple years, some years ago) they held off on academy classes. That put them behind the curve and if they start layoffs and not replacing those retiring, which is a lot, they will be in trouble.
Niner's Club #212
PA Glockers #125
Tactical Shotgun Club #212
tusk212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:12   #13
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

This is what politicians do when they want to punish the voters for not yielding to their requests for more money.

Absolutely stupid to layoff emergency/fire personnel, but no one said politicians are smart.(see Biden's latest comments)

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40   #14
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
For DP's sake, I hope this is just a barganing tactic.
No kidding! That did that crap here in WV three years ago when I was getting into LE. Just about canceled my class, then we were going to be the last for a few years. Suddenly they've got money and have been running classes regularly...
Old 12-20-2011, 14:51   #15
4949shooter

Being there is a class in the PA state police academy now, I would say this is a smoke screen.

At least I hope so..
Old 12-20-2011, 14:58   #16
stricky
Unknown to Me

It is OK because the state poloticians need to pay for their raise:
http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-2...ing-adjustment