Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2011, 19:16   #1
Hal A Looyah

Resizing/Crimp problem- Help

I am at a loss on diagnosing my problem.
I have loaded thousands of cast cowboy and other pistol loads on a Dillon 550 for years. Never jacketed or plated.

I recently loaded some plated Berry's 9mm bullets into mixed brass. Some of the bullets could be pulled or twisted by hand. Increasing the crimp until the bullet held,yielded obviously over crimped rounds like the ones in the recent thread. I am using Dillon Dynamic dies. I called Dillon. He said that I had a resizing issue. He said that a seated bullet should hold, even before being crimped. This is not limited to a certain brand of brass and happens in 10 to 20 percent of loads. I can't find a measurement problem with any of the bullets or brass. What am I overlooking. For the record, some of the brass is Glock fired.

First post here. Thanks fellas.
Hal A Looyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 19:34   #2
CCV

Check your bullet diameters with a good, accurate micrometer. I have seen undersized plated bullets.

Of the rounds you're having "loose bullet" issues with, are they all the same headstamp? I had some issues years ago with WW 9mm cases. Discarded all my brass with those headstamps and the problem went away.

Is a name brand JACKETED bullet tight in those same cases?

Try resizing one of the suspect cases in a different 9mm die (maybe a friend's).

Start eliminating one variable at a time.
CCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 19:35   #3
CCV

For the record, I have not had good experience with plated bullets. The exception is Speer bullets.
Old 12-20-2011, 19:55   #4
Hal A Looyah

I just tried some XTP bullets. XTP's and Berry's would slip in and out of a case resized on my dillon dies. I then ran the brass through a lyman die on a single stage press and it resized ALOT. Brass then loaded fine on the Dillon. It does seem to be a loose brass/ not enough resize issue. Headstamps range from FC, Win, Blazer Brass and others. Is this the type issue that requires a EGW undersize die or what?
Old 12-20-2011, 20:26   #5
F106 Fan

I suppose you could have a defective sizing die. Take it apart and look at the pieces. See what is happening.

Are you sure the die goes all the way down to the shell holder? If the die doesn't go to the bottom, it may not resize properly.

There is an online manual for Dillon dies:
http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/en...s-May-2007.pdf

Richard
Old 12-20-2011, 22:15   #6
Hal A Looyah

Upon further investigation, the Lyman die measures .005 smaller than the Dillon die.
Old 12-20-2011, 23:16   #7
fredj338

Certainly check the bullets. I have seen plated run 0.354" in some 9mm brands. Some brass won't hold a bullet only 0.0005" smaller. It's never about the crimp but the neck tension. Measure the powder thru expander, just in case a bad one got by Dillon. It shouldn't be larger than 0.354".
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-20-2011 at 23:17..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22   #8
CCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Certainly check the bullets. I have seen plated run 0.354" in some 9mm brands. Some brass won't hold a bullet only 0.0005" smaller. It's never about the crimp but the neck tension. Measure the powder thru expander, just in case a bad one got by Dillon. It shouldn't be larger than 0.354".
Good advice.....................