Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:22   #1
CAcop

That's how many miles my ride for the day has. So far I had to adjust the mirrors by hand. Get in car. Look. Get out of car. Adjust. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Hooooooooooooopty!
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:33   #2
vanilla_gorilla

My ride squeals and moans so bad that the hoodies call me Deebo when I ride through.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:43   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

Going on 4 years in my ride. I am gonna turn the 100k mark today actually. I expect it turn over some time after lunch. And yes she is a pos. Air doesn't blow from the vents and have to hook up a battery charger to her at night.

Atleast she's mine, some of the guys are driving a different car every day.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:54   #4
Kahr_Glockman

When I worked for the county that I started with, my first ride had 140k when I got it. It had 189k when I got assigned my "new" car. That car went to the fleet and got used as a back up car.

It didnt get retired until it had over 230k on it.

My "new" car that I mentioned? It had 125k on it.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17   #5
rookie1

I don't feel so bad when ours get yanked out of service at 70K to never be seen again.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:54   #6
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahr_Glockman View Post
When I worked for the county that I started with, my first ride had 140k when I got it. It had 189k when I got assigned my "new" car. That car went to the fleet and got used as a back up car.

It didnt get retired until it had over 230k on it.

My "new" car that I mentioned? It had 125k on it.
city driving rough on em.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:01   #7
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
city driving rough on em.
It is a rare car that makes it to 80K without at least two trannys.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 12-21-2011, 12:02   #8
CAcop

Just found the wood screws holding on part of the door panel.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:04   #9
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

My last high-mileage squad car was an 06 Charger Hemi. Finally the town sold it at sealed bid with 169,000 miles. Wish they kept it. That car just wouldn't quit.

My "take home" ride I drove until leaving another department was a POS Wimpala 9C1 with 96k on it. Right headlight wouldn't work, coolant light always on, leaked oil, had a horrible vibration above 50 mph, and the wiring was a rat's nest.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06   #10
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I have 127,000 miles on my POS.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
It is a rare car that makes it to 80K without at least two trannys.
They just aren't made for city driving, period. The troopers in my state can get 280k out of one, where we get 100k.

Two things that really help is not slamming it into drive when you're still rolling backwards, and not spinning the tires in the grass and then hitting the asphalt stopping the tires quickly.

I have been in mine since brand new and am on the original transmission, but I drive like a grandpa unless absolutely necessary otherwise.

Its my fault, I was offered a new car and held out till next year to hopefully get one of the new Caprices.

Damn Crown Vic's, I hate em.
Old 12-21-2011, 14:38   #12
CAcop

New discovery. It shakes like a jonesin junkie at 60 mph.
Old 12-21-2011, 14:56   #13
Eyescream
hates you

Quote:
New discovery. It shakes like a jonesin junkie at 60 mph.
Tape a methadone tab to each of the shocks.
Old 12-21-2011, 15:18   #14
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
That's how many miles my ride for the day has. So far I had to adjust the mirrors by hand. Get in car. Look. Get out of car. Adjust. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Hooooooooooooopty!
WTF! My CVPI has 128,500, and in the last year am only about 500 shy of 25k miles this year, and mowed down a yearling doe (brush guards are awesome).

I have had two cruisers with more than 160k before being taken out of service. Your's is a baby... course pretty soon your ABS sensor will go out, and maybe time for a new alternator if your lightbar isn't LED...

I have noticed that when running priority, if you are in the city, taking it out of overdrive saves a lot of wear and tear on the tranny. Of the five cruisers I have been issued, only one had something go wrong with the tranny, and that car had been issued to two other Deputies before me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 12-21-2011 at 15:21..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 15:41   #15
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:

Hooooooooooooopty!
Mine has 154K. And, actually runs pretty good. It's a Chevy Impala.
Old 12-21-2011, 17:18   #16
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Mine has 154K. And, actually runs pretty good. It's a Chevy Impala.
We just deadlined one of our Impalas. The other got converted to an unmarked unit for our volunteers. Apparently our grease monkeys got tired of fixing them.
Old 12-21-2011, 17:28   #17
rookie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post

I have noticed that when running priority, if you are in the city, taking it out of overdrive saves a lot of wear and tear on the tranny. Of the five cruisers I have been issued, only one had something go wrong with the tranny, and that car had been issued to two other Deputies before me.
Is that why some of the officers that have a few years on drive around with "O/D OFF" light on. Never understood why some people turn it off and some don't. I don't touch things unless im certain I know what they do.
Old 12-21-2011, 19:30   #18
dano1427

Our cars are assigned by patrol sectors, i have had the same cvpi ince it was new...It's 4 years old, 60k, and currently down for tranny number 3....
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 22:04   #19
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1 View Post
Is that why some of the officers that have a few years on drive around with "O/D OFF" light on. Never understood why some people turn it off and some don't. I don't touch things unless im certain I know what they do.
The "Overdrive" is just to get the best MPG at freeway speeds. When running priority, turning it off just locks out that gear when it isn't necessary.

One of my Sgt's who teaches pursuit termination techniques at OPOTA told me that keeping the OD turned off won't do any damage until you hit a 100, but I don't test it. I treat my cruiser as if it is my personally owned car, and equipment. I even power wash the engine compartment once in a while.

Try it for a shift. You will probably notice how much smoother the motor and shifting between gears sounds, and certainly more responsive. If you work exclusively in town, your ride may never even use the gear until you add a lot of engine RPM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 12-21-2011 at 22:11..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 22:06   #20
JBaird22

OD off when cruising around the city will help keep the transmission from getting so hot. Thus adding a little bit of life.

So here's a funny story: One day, I am driving code 3 when as I am driving I feel a bump. Nothing serious but a bump and look in the rear view mirror to see some water spraying up behind me. I thought how odd because it hasn't rained in some time. Seems I ejected the block warmer from whatever freeze plug it replaces. I didn't even know we had block warmers but apparently some genius at Ford decided plastic was the best material for the job.

That car was one of the fastest I have ever driven. She was named the rocket.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote