Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:02   #1
HexHead

Thinking about getting a Lee Pro Auto-Disk powder measure...

I'm currently loading on a RCBS Rock Chucker using Lee dies, so I have the powder through die. I plan on getting a Dillon 550BL. Anyone using the Lee Pro on these presses? I'm tired of manually dumping the powder into a funnel.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:35   #2
coachg

I use the Lee Powder drop with the spring instead of the chain on my LNL and it works very well.
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 13:24   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

I love the measure on my Pro1000.

ETA:Get the deluxe version as it doesn't leak and is much easier to change cavities and powders.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 12-22-2011 at 13:24..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 17:46   #4
Bello
America/Italia

I also use the pro version i use it on my ss press it 95% of the time gives accurate measures i only use it to work up loads btw
Old 12-22-2011, 20:27   #5
blastfact

I have three auto disk pro's and need at least two more. I load a lot on my Lee Classic Turret. Once I work up a good solid near max load on my single stage press's I pick a disc or charge bar setting and leave the powder measure on that turret head.

For my max and above loads throw them with a Lee perfect powder and trickle them up and check each load on two scales.

Also if you buy multiple Pro powder measures you end up with enough disk to stack them for larger charges and you dont have to buy a double disk kit. Just go to local hardware store and purchase longer screw and thumb screws if you wish on the cheap.

The charge bar is not good for light drops. Say your doing fast powder drops from 3 to 5 grains. Above that your gold. They also have a micro disk for smaller drops that works well. The disk can some times lock yu into a drop you really don't want. A tad light or a tad heavy. If your stuck on a drop you really have to have you can open up a disk hole with a file or other cutting device of your choice and dial in the drop.

So the measure can be very versatile if used right. Mine always drop within +/- 1 tenth with Clays, TightGroup, Herco, Blue Dot, 2400 and H-110. There can be a static problem with them when they are new. One can wipe it down with a fresh dryer sheet. Then fill the hopper about a quarter full with powder. Make sure the hopper is off and the lid is on and shake the unit around, a lot. Then run a fare amount of powder through it. The static issue will go away. If one feels they need a baffle. One can be made of any light weight alum or steel with a pair of cheap-o shears.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 21:08   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Pretty good advice so far. It's accurate with discs. Not with the adjustble charge bar at low volume charges. Besides that it works perfectly. It would be great on a BL and if you use bulky powders in pistol work good with the adjustable charge bar as well.
Old 12-23-2011, 19:09   #7
Clemsum

I have a 550 that I bought used without a powder measure and I use a Lee Auto Disc on it with great results. I added the Riser part to get it above the other dies.

Works Great!!
Clemsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00   #8
Clemsum

Powder measure on 550. Note the riser and swivel, both help with positioning on the tool head. With the measure positioned like this I can see the powder when it drops from the Disc.
Attached Thumbnails
Reloading - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Clemsum; 12-24-2011 at 11:03..
Clemsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 15:34   #9
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsum View Post
I have a 550 that I bought used without a powder measure and I use a Lee Auto Disc on it with great results. I added the Riser part to get it above the other dies.

Works Great!!
Thanks guys. That's what I needed to know.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote