SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2011, 16:16   #1
Bret
Crimping Master

Zero vs. Precision Delta

I've been reloading for years mainly using Zero bullets in 9mm and 40S&W. They're of good quality and I'm pleased with their performance. Recently they're out of some weights that I need. I don't shoot lead or plated. I noticed that Precision Delta offers the same weights, often at a significantly lower price. How does the quality of Precision Delta compare to Zero (consistency of weight, shape, length)? Are the jackets as thick? How about performance?
Old 12-23-2011, 00:44   #2
njl

I've mostly loaded MG and PD 9mm 124gr, and PD and Zero .45 230gr. In 9mm, I hate to say it, but I think the PD has been the most accurate. I had an issue with my first couple of boxes of them, finding a bunch of bullets with split jackets, and PD blew me off when I emailed them about it (including very good quality pictures). In 9mm, MG's look nicer, seem to have better QC, and are a bit more expensive. I've more or less decided that I'll have to buy some more PD bullets, as much as I'd rather not.

In .45acp, I like Zero. They were actually the best price when I bought them last (between Zero, PD, and MG), and are very accurate. I see now that my source (shooters connection) has raised the price such that they're no longer the best price...but I really like their 230gr JHP, and PD doesn't seem to even make such a bullet.
Old 12-23-2011, 13:26   #3
squirreld

I run PD in 9, 40, and 45.
NO issues.
Run great.

Every now and then I get one with a messed up jacket.
I toss it and keep rolling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 2
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 15:30   #4
BK63

If you are just punching paper at the range look at lead. A huge savings. Might want to look at an after market barrel if shooting a Glock just for safety's sake. I've been using a LW barrel for a couple years now shooting lead out of my G30 no issues and cheaper than plated.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 15:58   #5
Bret
Crimping Master

I don't reload lead. I had a very high reading about ten years ago, so I decided to avoid it. I mostly reload JHP's so the bullet base isn't made of exposed lead.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:39   #6
CCV

I've no expereince with Precision Delta bullets but Zero is excellent.

I've been loading Zero FMJ and JHP's in .45 ACP and their JHP's in 9mm. Not a single issue to report.

Good bullets.
CCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:22   #7
rpgman
SCGLOCK

I use Precision Delta on a recommendation from Ron but I would like to try zero.
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:27   #8
CVO

I load both the PD and Zero in .45, the Zero has been more consistent in diameter size.
CVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 13:26   #9
buckshotshorty

I've used both. I find that when i use my micrometer on loaded cases I get inconsistent measurements with the PD bullets. The seater die never changes, so I have to assume the shapes of the bullets are different.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!
pb
buckshotshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 14:53   #10
CVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
I've been reloading for years mainly using Zero bullets in 9mm and 40S&W. They're of good quality and I'm pleased with their performance. Recently they're out of some weights that I need. I don't shoot lead or plated. I noticed that Precision Delta offers the same weights, often at a significantly lower price. How does the quality of Precision Delta compare to Zero (consistency of weight, shape, length)? Are the jackets as thick? How about performance?

Powder Valley has the Zero's in stock.
Old 12-26-2011, 15:14   #11
Bret
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVO View Post
Powder Valley has the Zero's in stock.
You teased me! They're also out of the 9mm 124gr JHP's.
Old 12-26-2011, 15:27   #12
FLSlim

I've used both and like both. PD are a bit cheaper, and that I like, but you really can't go wrong with either brand.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 15:40   #13
CVO

Quote:
You teased me! They're also out of the 9mm 124gr JHP's.
For a dollar more, you can get the Montana Golds in 9mm JHP.

https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.html

Last edited by CVO; 12-26-2011 at 15:40..
Old 12-26-2011, 16:36   #14
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
How does the quality of Precision Delta compare to Zero (consistency of weight, shape, length)? Are the jackets as thick? How about performance?
I have shot quite a few thousands of each of these and, at least in 124gr 9mm bullets, Precision Delta wins the bout by a huge margin. Not only are PD bullets more accurate but, in addition you can find these in stock much more easily than you can find Zeros in stock.

In the past few months I have been shooting Montana Gold 124gr bullets and they are also producing better results than Zero bullets out of multiple 9mm pistols. Nonetheless, if I had to pick a clear winner for accuracy and manufacturing consistency, the winner would be Precision Delta.

Last edited by cysoto; 12-26-2011 at 19:47.. Reason: Spelling
cysoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:11   #15
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman View Post
I use Precision Delta on a recommendation from Ron but I would like to try zero.
I shot 5,000 9mm in 147gr... was very happy with them. I'm shooting Bear Creek molys right now to save some money though.

Montana Gold seems to be the most popular when they do surveys at the big national matches (IDPA and USPSA at least)... I've shot those more than anything else but they're slightly more expensive. Best thing about them is I've *never* seen them out of stock in what I shoot in 2+ years, whereas PD is out of stock on stuff quite often, at least in the heavier bullet weights.

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18   #16
nothing
Advertisement

I've shot both and prefer the PD over zero. I can't tell any difference as far as accuracy goes, but the price is better and they generally keep them in stock. If they are on backorder I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks.

I actually just bought 10k bullets from them, now I've just got to allocate some time for the reloading room.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 16:33   #17
Bret
Crimping Master

Thank you everyone for your help. It's good to know that there are several good choices out there. I decided to buy a case (3750) of the Montana Gold 124gr JHP's. I may try Precision Delta next time. I do wonder why Zero's prices seem to be about 20% higher.
Old 12-27-2011, 16:40   #18
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
I do wonder why Zero's prices seem to be about 20% higher.
Simply because they can! There was a point in time when Zero's quality control was above everyone else's but, in the past few years they have relaxed their QC practices and they have been producing an inferior product. Most shooters still remember the "good ol' days" when Zero offered the best product and, since they always find their products to be unavailable, they think that paying the extra 20% is guaranteeing them a superior product. Nothing can be further from the truth...

They have a contract to supply a large European ammunition manufacturing company. This is why they don't go after the local retail purchaser and also the reason why their products always seem to be back-ordered.
Old 12-27-2011, 16:43   #19
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
I decided to buy a case (3750) of the Montana Gold 124gr JHP's.
I should have added... The Montana Gold and Precision Delta 124gr JHP are very similar and, in my experience, they are capable of producing nearly identical results on paper.

At least out of my pistols, they seem to produce the best results when loaded at an OAL of 1.100"
Old 12-27-2011, 16:55   #20
CVO

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your help. It's good to know that there are several good choices out there. I decided to buy a case (3750) of the Montana Gold 124gr JHP's. I may try Precision Delta next time. I do wonder why Zero's prices seem to be about 20% higher.

Your mailman will love you, I tell mine its fishing weights.