Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 21:34   #1
SeriouslySig
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 74
Double Star Headstamp: Which Manufacturer

I have some S&W .40 cal ammo which has what appears to be a double star (with a curved line in between the two stars head stamp. Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer was for this ammo?

If memory serves me right, this ammo was supposed to be designed for protection against medium sized game (black bear?).

Thanks!
__________________
It's not my hand that is shaking and obscuring my sight picture; it must be the damn target!
SeriouslySig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 21:40   #2
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,581
Starline brass. Some of the best available. Reloaders and manufacturers like Corbon and Buffalo Bore use Starline.

Last edited by dkf; 12-23-2011 at 21:44..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 22:09   #3
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,794
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Starline brass. Some of the best available. Reloaders and manufacturers like Corbon and Buffalo Bore use Starline.
True, I have always wondered why Corbon or BB doesn't pay for headstamped brass made by Starline. For 50K pieces & a setup fee, they used to offer this.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 22:17   #4
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
True, I have always wondered why Corbon or BB doesn't pay for headstamped brass made by Starline. For 50K pieces & a setup fee, they used to offer this.
Don't know my friend. Maybe they figure there are more than enough headstamps already and are sparing us.

Have any idea what brass Double Tap uses? I thought they are marketing their own brass which I take is probably made by Starline. I don't really have experience with DT myself.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:11   #5
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
True, I have always wondered why Corbon or BB doesn't pay for headstamped brass made by Starline. For 50K pieces & a setup fee, they used to offer this.
Corbon does use their own headstamp on some of their ammo.

As for other companies not using proper headstamped cases, a lot of it has to do with the cost of making bunters to be placed into the machinery that actually makes the headstamp impression.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:22   #6
SeriouslySig
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 74
I figured it out, it is Corbon DPX ammo.

Thanks everyone, have a merry Christmas!
__________________
It's not my hand that is shaking and obscuring my sight picture; it must be the damn target!
SeriouslySig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:47   #7
MedicOni
Senior Member
 
MedicOni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central NM
Posts: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Don't know my friend. Maybe they figure there are more than enough headstamps already and are sparing us.

Have any idea what brass Double Tap uses? I thought they are marketing their own brass which I take is probably made by Starline. I don't really have experience with DT myself.
The DT rounds I've shot were Starline brass
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NR-P, NM EMT-P, TX, EMT-P, FP-C
MedicOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08   #8
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,794
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
Corbon does use their own headstamp on some of their ammo.

As for other companies not using proper headstamped cases, a lot of it has to do with the cost of making bunters to be placed into the machinery that actually makes the headstamp impression.
That's what mean. Starline used to offer but you needed 50K min order. I would think Corbon could handle that, same for DT, but it is for one caliber only.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-24-2011 at 10:08..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:11   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
A custom headstamp can't be that big of a deal. I have some "Jordan" 357 brass that Midway marketed years ago. They had "Kieth" 44Mag brass at the same time. It was a limited availability thing and it wasn't that expensive or I wouldn't have bought it. I believe it is Winchester brass based purely on a rumor that was going around at the time. I'm sure Cor-Bon sells much more 40SW ammo than Midway did with that one-time deal of novelty brass.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 17:48   #10
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,393
Here's a link to an article that Talks about cartridge draw sets and headstamp bunters.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...brass-is-made/
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:03   #11
AquaHull
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West MI
Posts: 194
I have some nickel plate brass from Fiocchi , with the 9mm 124 gr FTX bullet , that have the double star with the semicircle between them.

I wonder if Fiocchi even made the primer or powder?
AquaHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:40   #12
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
I have some nickel plate brass from Fiocchi , with the 9mm 124 gr FTX bullet , that have the double star with the semicircle between them.

I wonder if Fiocchi even made the primer or powder?
To the very best of my knowledge, Fiocchi has never used Starline nickel plated brass with the Starline headstamp. It should be stamped either G.F.L. or FIOCCHI USA.

Also, Fiocchi doesn't load the "FTX" bullet (which is made by Hornady in which the HP cavity of the bullet is plugged up by a red colored plug of rubber). But they do load Hornady's "XTP" jacketed HP bullet in many different calibers under their Extrema line of handgun ammo.

Are you sure the ammo you have came from Fiocchi? Was it in a Fiocchi box? Are all the headstamps the same?
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 14:18   #13
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
To the very best of my knowledge, Fiocchi has never used Starline nickel plated brass with the Starline headstamp. It should be stamped either G.F.L. or FIOCCHI USA.

Also, Fiocchi doesn't load the "FTX" bullet (which is made by Hornady in which the HP cavity of the bullet is plugged up by a red colored plug of rubber). But they do load Hornady's "XTP" jacketed HP bullet in many different calibers under their Extrema line of handgun ammo.

Are you sure the ammo you have came from Fiocchi? Was it in a Fiocchi box? Are all the headstamps the same?
I don't remember where I saw it, but I have seen references to Fiocchi using Starline brass for it's "Extrema" XTP loads.

And thanks for that link regarding brass manufacturer, it was interesting.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:35   #14
AquaHull
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West MI
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
To the very best of my knowledge, Fiocchi has never used Starline nickel plated brass with the Starline headstamp. It should be stamped either G.F.L. or FIOCCHI USA.

Also, Fiocchi doesn't load the "FTX" bullet (which is made by Hornady in which the HP cavity of the bullet is plugged up by a red colored plug of rubber). But they do load Hornady's "XTP" jacketed HP bullet in many different calibers under their Extrema line of handgun ammo.

Are you sure the ammo you have came from Fiocchi? Was it in a Fiocchi box? Are all the headstamps the same?
I was coming back to edit and say XTP,yes it was a Fiocchi Extrema box,But it came with 35 in it with my used Glock 19 a couple of Septembers ago.
So the guy I bought it from may have switched out the ammo. He said he fired the gun 15 times , didn't like it and was getting a 40, because the 9 didn't kick enough
AquaHull is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:53.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,147
345 Members
802 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31