Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:47   #1
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Holt AL OIS (near Tuscaloosa)

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2011/1...tml#incart_hbx

Officer hit in leg, robber hit in chest, LEO spokesman gives timeline and recap of the incident.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:59   #2
trdvet

LEO fine, dirtbag dead.......indeed a Merry Christmas.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:25   #3
ClydeG19

The article is lacking a few important facts. Was the deputy conducting a high risk stop? The distance the article referenced seems to indicate otherwise. Maybe the deputy could have saved himself a hole in the leg. Granted, I wasn't there, but this seems a situation that would warrant high risk stop procedures.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:56   #4
merlynusn

It sounds like the Deputy did a good job. If the Deputy is shouting at the vehicle to show their hands, I'd imagine it was a high risk stop. Even though it was conducted by himself, he was 215 yards away from the store that was robbed. I imagine he had units there within seconds.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:57   #5
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Prayers for a swift recovery for the deputy!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:19   #6
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Prayers for a swift recovery for the deputy!
Indeed!
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:42   #7
Ajon412

Goes to show just how fast things can go "sideways"....and things don't always go as planned..There is only one person to blame for this outcome and it's the dead perp.....Good riddance...

...Prayers sent for a speedy recovery
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 13:39   #8
OLY-M4gery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeG19 View Post
The article is lacking a few important facts. Was the deputy conducting a high risk stop? The distance the article referenced seems to indicate otherwise. Maybe the deputy could have saved himself a hole in the leg. Granted, I wasn't there, but this seems a situation that would warrant high risk stop procedures.
Seriously? Do you think a handgun's range is 2 car lenghts? But somehow the bullets won't go 4 car lenghts?

What prevents a suspect from getting out of the car and shooting at the cops during a high risk traffic stop?
OLY-M4gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 14:09   #9
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLY-M4gery View Post
Seriously? Do you think a handgun's range is 2 car lenghts? But somehow the bullets won't go 4 car lenghts?

What prevents a suspect from getting out of the car and shooting at the cops during a high risk traffic stop?
This was my point as well...All the planning goes out the window in a situation where the BG decides what direction the encounter is going to go...HE chose to exit the vehicle with a gun in hand, HE chose not to listen to LE commands, HE chose to shoot it out with the Police, HE chose to get shot and HE died as a result of HIS actions...It's really that simple...
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 14:39   #10
ClydeG19

I did put in my original post "granted, I wasn't there..." I know things can go sideways and there isn't always time to use proper tactics in a given scenario. But yeah, Oly, if the deputy was tucked into his car as taught in a proper high risk stop, a bullet to the leg is pretty unlikely. It has nothing to do with the range.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 14:50   #11
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 15:54   #12
packsaddle

a near perfect outcome.

prayers for the leo, family, and friends.
packsaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 17:05   #13
alba666
WWJGD

The location in question is about 1 mi north of the April 27th tornado track at the east end of the 4 lane Jack Warner parkway that runs from downtown Tuscaloosa. The area is a lower income area about 1 mile outside the city limits. It is economically depressed from the tornado's impact.

I am not surprised by the short response time since all departments with tornado track jurisdiction have increased presence to stem property crime.

I am also not shocked by the outcome. Sheriff Ted Sexton runs a tight ship and invests in training and equipment. It helps that he was the with DHS during the W's administration. While I don't agree with his pistol permit policies, in general he is a good guy.

Also, the Sheriff is running for Probate Judge. Here, the Probate judge is the County Executive (think like Mayor of a city). So, good PR spin is important to election politics.

Real women have real bodies with lotsa curves so I can hug'em really tight and not get bruises!
Old 12-25-2011, 19:35   #14
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba666 View Post
Also, the Sheriff is running for Probate Judge. Here, the Probate judge is the County Executive (think like Mayor of a city). So, good PR spin is important to election politics.
While I don't know anything about the sheriff, his political agendas, the community or any of the backstory, I'd guess from reading the article that the paper supports him. That was definitely a very, very positive spin (how relevant to the story is how quickly the first 2 cars got to the store?!?) on how well his guys did (and thus a reflection on the sheriff himself).

Just saying.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 19:36   #15
Patchman
Florist

Prayers to the deputy for a quick and full recovery.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 21:44   #16
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Prayers for the Deputy. Great job!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 00:43   #17
glockurai

Prayers for the officer. Let's hope we don't lose anymore this year. December has been a bad month. Still wearing my mourning band.
Old 12-26-2011, 00:58   #18
OLY-M4gery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeG19 View Post
I did put in my original post "granted, I wasn't there..." I know things can go sideways and there isn't always time to use proper tactics in a given scenario. But yeah, Oly, if the deputy was tucked into his car as taught in a proper high risk stop, a bullet to the leg is pretty unlikely. It has nothing to do with the range.
From the news report.

There was a robbery, and a suspect was id'ed.

The deputy went to the suspect's house, and saw a vehicle leaving.

The deputy initiated a traffic stop on the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------

Did the deputy know exactly who was in the car?
How many other people live at that house?
Was it the suspect's vehicle?

I'm not sure what the cars you are driving are made out of, but most around here are mostly sheetmetal. They are NOT cover. The one main exception being the engine block, which is actually pretty small compared to the rest of the car.

Also, if the suspect got out, and the deputy was having trouble "tracking" him, it would be a good time to get out to engage the armed suspect.

Staying tucked behind cover is a good idea, unless it interferes with your ability to engage a target that needs immediate attention.
OLY-M4gery is offline   Reply With Quote