Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:07   #1
BKG-22

Finally Part of the 10mm Family!

The wife bought me a 20SF for Christmas. Blue Label with 3 mags (which is odd in itself since I am not a LEO). I kinda of helped her, but ultimately she did it on her own without my knowledge. She has been good to me! She could only put the wrapped tupperware box under the tree and I will go fill out the paperwork and pick it up tomorrow.

QUESTIONS: I frequent this gun shop, so I know he just recently got it in stock (probably in the last 6 weeks). However, the box looks a little rough and when I pulled the test fired shell casing envelope, says it was fired on Feb 25, 2010.

He is selling it as a new handgun. However, should I be a little suspicious or should I ask any specific questions regarding the origin of the gun?

Have there been any mods to the G20SF's since early 2010 that would persuade me to push for a new production Glock?

Other than the presence of the copper lube, any tell-tale signs I should look for to determine if it is indeed new vs "gently used"? I am not opposed to "used" - but it is being sold as new so I would expect new. The production/test fire dates concern me. I will ask him where has this thing been for the last 22 months - but wondered if anyone knows of a common scenario that would explain this.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 12:56   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Congrats on the new Glock. Tell-tale signs of firing would a bit of wear on the outside of the barrel where the finish is lightening a bit. Otherwise, no need to be concerned about the production date.
Old 12-25-2011, 13:13   #3
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Do something VERY nice for mama. She deserves it.

If not brand new, it could have been bought by one of those 9mm guys, who couldn't find ammo for months, and finally acquired some, and figured out after half a mag, they couldn't hack it.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 12-25-2011 at 13:15..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 13:51   #4
blastfact

There might have been a reason it was on the self six weeks. Check it out very closely. Check the mag followers out for feeding marks. Look at the feed ramp to see if there are any faint chatter marks. Check the barrel to see if there is any smear of jacket or lead. Check the pins to see if somebody might have beat them out with a small Phillips screw driver. <<<< Happens more than you think. Shine flash light up the mag well looking for brass shavings and or excessive powder fowling and dirt. Copper antiseisze should clean and evenly applied. The tupperware box should clean and not beat up with all sorts of useless fufu paper work.

Around here 10mm anything is gone as soon as it comes in if priced anywhere close to right.

Last edited by blastfact; 12-25-2011 at 14:03..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 20:35   #5
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Any Glock fired more than just a factory test will show faint (or even obvious) wear on the front if the barrel hood, where it locks up with the top of your slide. A new gun will be black up there. A used one will show two thin rectangular shiny marks, probably silver in color.

A light shined up the mag well will show debris stuck on the back wall in the shape of the witness holes in your magazine. You can usually brush this out but someone may have forgotten to clean here, or it may have been fired so much that it's impossible to erase. Look for nice, shiny mag well walls on a new gun.

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 12-25-2011 at 20:35..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 21:32   #6
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Congrats!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:52   #7
4949shooter

Old 12-26-2011, 08:13   #8
BKG-22

Thanks for the input. I'll bring a small flashlight with me to get a good look up in the mag well.

I will head out later this morning to check it out, get his story, and if all seems to be legit will run 100 rounds or so through it before I walk out (he has an indoor range on premise).

I hate to sound cynical, but my experience with a few of the other local gun shop owners have proven them to be less than honest over their claimed knowledge and business ethic. I have never purchased anything from these guys yet but I am a little cautious. A few bad apples tend to make me skeptical of the whole bushel. Sad, but true.

I'll give an update tonight.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12   #9
Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new G20SF! I'm sure that you'll find that it works just fine.

Regarding the validity of the S/N, I'm sure that a call to Glock can verify that for you. Good luck with the new 10mm!

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23   #10
oceanbob

Even though we all love Glock 10MMs it is not unusual for an area to have slow G20 or G29 sales. I know of several that sat on the shelf for more than a year. Sometimes GLOCK has them in storage and lets them out to dealers when demand increases.

In my travels on business around the country I sometimes visit local gun stores on my free time to check out pricing and availability of whatever I am interested in. There have several occasions where the gun store employees have NEVER HEARD of 10MM... or even seen a GLOCK 20. etc.

They stock 9MM and .40.

Good luck and enjoy your new GLOCK 20SF.

Bob
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:42   #11
ModGlock17

Keep the Wife and keep her happy. More Glocks may be on their way to you. Congrats on a great Wife.

A Glock has got so much life in it (many tens of thousand rounds) that even a little use won't amount to much. Post a picture of the barrel hood front, near where the "10mm" imprinted and we can tell.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 12-26-2011 at 12:50..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 16:05   #12
BKG-22

Well, the deed has been done and am pleased to say I am 100% confident it is a new, unfired Glock. The mag well and internals were spotless clean, the barrel and barrel hood had no scratches - solid black. Consistent black finish on exterior with no wear marks or scratches All serials match.

I asked where thing has been for the last 22 months and he had no excuses or stories. He said that is what the distributor shipped them - period. Nothing more need be said.

Was running short on time with other errands to run. Went down stairs to the range and pushed out 50 rounds of Georgia Arms 180g JHP. I know it is not a hot round, but it ran flawless. My son was with me and he also shot a couple of mags through it too. Both grinning from ear to ear!

Last edited by BKG-22; 12-26-2011 at 18:45..
BKG-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 20:33   #13
4949shooter

Congrats! I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-26-2011, 21:16   #14
bac1023

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 21:34   #15
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Congratulations BKG-22. I am glad it worked out favorably. All of us here know of the smile about which you described!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:43   #16
robert91922

22 months on shelf is not so much for 10mm gun, even in USA.
In my hometown there's a local gunshop w. Glock 29 on shelf for more than 4 years, but he wouldn't lower the price although he even doesn't have any 10mm ammo in stock.
So I rather bought Glock 20 elsewhere - and I'm thankful for that. Now all my 10mm loads are too hot for less supported G29 barrel anyway, so I don't care about it.

Last edited by robert91922; 12-29-2011 at 05:52..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54   #17
arushus
Biggest Member

Congrats! Glad to hear everything worked out well! Just wait and see what kind of smile you have when you touch off some 180gr fmj's going 1325fps!
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote