Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-25-2011, 18:44   #1
thinktwice

Springfield Micro Compact Troubles

I have a Springfield Micro Compact Loaded. I bought it new about a year ago, and haven't shot it in about 9 months. Been shooting my 5" 1911's. So last week I thought I might shoot the little Springfield some. Well with the very first magazine (the one that came with the gun) about the third round would not move forward into the chamber. I am not having trouble with it ejecting the fired round, it's just the fresh round won't chamber, and the slide is all the way back. I tried tapping and even pushing the slide but it wouldn't budge. So I have to drop the mag. then "slingshot" the slide and it will chamber. It did this several times out of the 50 rounds fired. When it does work it works just fine, feeds and ejects normally. I don't think the slide is locking back, I didn't think to check that. It surprised me because the last time I shot the pistol it ran great. I probably have maybe 200 rounds through the pistol since I bought it. I also tried a Wilson mag and it did the same thing. Also every now and then brass would come back and it me in the forehead. I did the extractor test with the slide off, and it seemed ok. It held the brass in the extractor hook when I shook it and turned it around. I was using Federal 230GR R/N, and I tried one magazine of that Walmart TULAMMO with the same results. I am not a 1911 expert, but I have heard with the brass hitting you in the head/face it would most likely be the extractor. Is it possible the extractor is too tight. I know how to tell if it's too loose, but not if it's too tight. I am asking you guys because I really don't want to send it back to Springfield, but I might have to. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-25-2011, 19:53   #2
ca survivor

some time I accidentally push the slide release from the right side and have your same problem, make sure the slide release is siting all the way in, hope this helps
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 20:30   #3
thinktwice

I don't think I am doing that, but I sure will check to make sure. Would be nice to find out that was my problem, however I am not sure that would cause the brass to hit me in the head. The funny thing about the brass hitting me, is I had another pistol that did that, but when I let my son's shoot the same pistol they were not hit with brass. So I guess that part could be "shooter error" which would be me. Could be the way I am holding the pistol. On the other hand I have other 1911's and other type pistols, and they don't hit me. I hold this Micro the same way I shoot all the others, but maybe because it's so small I am doing something wrong. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2011, 21:03   #4
knedrgr

Does the feed ramp look polished or are there machine marks on there?
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 23:28   #5
thinktwice

Yes the feed ramp is polished, Springfield did a good job on that as well as a great trigger job. Now if I can just get it to run again I'll be ok. Just would rather not send it to Springfield due to the last time I sent it in it took 2 months to get it back. The first time I sent it in was because it was shooting about a foot low. Seems they had put the wrong sights on the pistol when they shipped it out. That's how I got the excellent trigger job free of charge.Like I said when it runs it's runs great the trigger feels like about a 3 lb pull and very very smooth.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:35   #6
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
Yes the feed ramp is polished, Springfield did a good job on that as well as a great trigger job. Now if I can just get it to run again I'll be ok. Just would rather not send it to Springfield due to the last time I sent it in it took 2 months to get it back. The first time I sent it in was because it was shooting about a foot low. Seems they had put the wrong sights on the pistol when they shipped it out. That's how I got the excellent trigger job free of charge.Like I said when it runs it's runs great the trigger feels like about a 3 lb pull and very very smooth.
I do it with the Defender more than the goverment or commander, funny the slide release it's in the same place???? it's something you can check at home, with a empty pistol
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 23:41   #7
thinktwice

Thanks for all the help guys, but I think I have found, and corrected the problem. Seems like the extractor was a bit too tight, so I adjusted it just a little. Only shot 50 rounds today but without any malfunctions. It was either the extractor or the pistol doesn't like Federal or the Tu Ammo. Anyway it appears to be fixed for now. Will shoot some more rounds this week, and see if it keeps running as good as it did today. Thanks Again.
Old 12-29-2011, 15:00   #8
glockarmor

Copied from another forum but it may apply here.. As simple as it sounds I've found this formula works for me..
If it ran for you before and with nothing but passing time it doesn't run now I would skip to the second step.

Firearms Troubleshooting

S. A. A. M.
S: Shooter (start here)
A: Ammunition (second)
M: Maintenance (third)
M: Mechanical (final check)

Last edited by glockarmor; 12-29-2011 at 15:01..
glockarmor is offline   Reply With Quote