GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2011, 22:24   #1
GhettoSmack

Ramshot Powder: Competition ... Anyone Tried It?

I was in the local outdoor sports mega store the other day and saw some Ramshot powder. After checking out their load data on their website, the Competition and Zip powders piqued my interest.

Has anyone ever try either powder for 9mm or .45ACP? What were your results and opinion?

By the way, Ramshot has excellent load data on the website! They list MANY bullet types and weights; ~3X more than the other online guides.
GhettoSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:52   #2
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoSmack View Post
I was in the local outdoor sports mega store the other day and saw some Ramshot powder. After checking out their load data on their website, the Competition and Zip powders piqued my interest.

Has anyone ever try either powder for 9mm or .45ACP? What were your results and opinion?

By the way, Ramshot has excellent load data on the website! They list MANY bullet types and weights; ~3X more than the other online guides.
I've experimented a bit with both however, there was limited data when I did so for either powder and none for Competition. Armed with the new data from Ramshot, I'd suggest you start from there. FWIW, you'll find Ramshot Zip very similar to W-231/HP-38 in most respects. Competition is pretty quick and best suited to softer, bullseye velocity loads or at least, that was my feelings based on results and virtually no load data.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 13:43   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I've heard from a very reputable source that ZIP and WST are actually the same powder... if you look at their respective manufacturers data if virtually identical.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 13:59   #4
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I've heard from a very reputable source that ZIP and WST are actually the same powder... if you look at their respective manufacturers data if virtually identical.

I think it's actually Ramshot's Competition that is most similar to WST. I don't know whether Ramshot powders are actually the same as the Winchester powders as most, if not all, are Belgium made. Some, such as Silhouette, are for sure the previous & discontinued Winchester WAP albeit, with additional flash suppressors added but the others are mostly speculation based on similarities. In any event, Ramshot has some quality products and I've found it good stuff. Ramshot Silhouette is top notch for full power (and above) as well as accuracy in 9MM.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 14:44   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Manley View Post
I think it's actually Ramshot's Competition that is most similar to WST. I don't know whether Ramshot powders are actually the same as the Winchester powders as most, if not all, are Belgium made. Some, such as Silhouette, are for sure the previous & discontinued Winchester WAP albeit, with additional flash suppressors added but the others are mostly speculation based on similarities. In any event, Ramshot has some quality products and I've found it good stuff. Ramshot Silhouette is top notch for full power (and above) as well as accuracy in 9MM.
Freakshow10mm is pretty knowledgable regarding what powders have alternate names.

I haven't used any Ramshot powders as I'm pretty married to my Hercules come Alliant ways, but if I was just starting out, I'd probably use them based on their price.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition powder, ramshot powder, zip powder