GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 23:53   #1
BellyUpFish
Member
 
BellyUpFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 49
Want something in "point five oh."

Ok, there's a gap in my collection that I'd like to fill. Well, there are lots of gaps, but I'd like to start working on the .50 gap.

I have no real use for a .50 in either a rifle or a handgun, but I'd love to have one. Just to destroy the occasional XYZ with.

I'm leaning towards either the AA Beowulf AR or the Desert Eagle.

Anyone have any comments?
BellyUpFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21   #2
10mm Sonny
Senior Member
 
10mm Sonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,755
I thought you were asking/wishing for a .50GAP
10mm Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:32   #3
Trigger Finger
Senior Member
 
Trigger Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,078
All I can tell you is that I love my Desert Eagle in 50 AE. It's VERY powerful and accurate. Fun to shoot and destroy things with.

I also have a 44 Magnum barrel that's very easy to change over to and it is light recoiling.
__________________
Land of the Free Because of the Brave!
It is easier to be critical than correct and most people tend to take the easy way!



Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:51   #4
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,635
Black Powder percussion-fired Hawken in .50.

You get the old school, black powder and .50 itch all scratched at once.
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:51   #5
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Just get a Desert Eagle and be done with it.


General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:17   #6
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Guncrafter .50GI

General Firearms Forum


General Firearms Forum


General Firearms Forum

Last edited by glock2740; 12-27-2011 at 05:19..
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06   #7
byf43
NRA Life Member
 
byf43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 13,308
I've seen/read about .50 slide/barrel assemblies for G20/G21.

Thompson Center Hawken, or Omega or Triumph in .50. Granted, it's blackpowder, but, it's a .50!!!!!!!
__________________
G21 Gen2; G19 Gen3; G30SF; G23 Gen3; G26 Gen4. GLOCK Certified Armorer

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 12-27-2011 at 09:06..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10   #8
RYT 2BER
Senior Member
 
RYT 2BER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Just get a Desert Eagle and be done with it.


General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum


This.. this.. this...
__________________
Unfortunately, with all the advances in medical science, there still just isnt any cure for "stupid".
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:55   #9
txgunguy
Senior Member
 
txgunguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Guncrafter .50GI

General Firearms Forum


General Firearms Forum


General Firearms Forum
That is awesome. I didnt know they made that.
__________________
The Second Amendment is the reset button of the United States. -Doug McKay
txgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02   #10
BellyUpFish
Member
 
BellyUpFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Guncrafter .50GI

General Firearms Forum


General Firearms Forum


General Firearms Forum


Wow.. That's really nice, but it looks like you pay for it, too.. $3,000 is a bit much for me for a niche "toy" gun.
BellyUpFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03   #11
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
A 1911a1 in 50GI would be the most practical 50 you could probably own. It's still the same size as a 1911a1 so you can carry it just like you would any other 1911a1 and the recoil isn't suppose to be all that bad either and it WILL make a big 50 cal hole in things that you shoot with it. Of course being a Cowboy Gun junkie from way back I think a Sharps in 50/70 or heck, 50/140 would be really cool. Of course a Sharps in 50/70 or 50/90 would be easier on the shoulder but dang, that big ol' 50/140 is awesome looking.
I don't know, either the 1911a1 in 50GI or a Sharps in one of the 50cal ctgs. That's my vote.
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:05   #12
RYT 2BER
Senior Member
 
RYT 2BER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Gunshine State
Posts: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
A 1911a1 in 50GI would be the most practical 50 you could probably own. It's still the same size as a 1911a1 so you can carry it just like you would any other 1911a1 and the recoil isn't suppose to be all that bad either and it WILL make a big 50 cal hole in things that you shoot with it. Of course being a Cowboy Gun junkie from way back I think a Sharps in 50/70 or heck, 50/140 would be really cool. Of course a Sharps in 50/70 or 50/90 would be easier on the shoulder but dang, that big ol' 50/140 is awesome looking.
I don't know, either the 1911a1 in 50GI or a Sharps in one of the 50cal ctgs. That's my vote.

Yes it might be "practical".. however, from everything I have read, the 50GI isnt ballstically superior to a 45acp for example (regardless of the picture of the expanded bullet).

The 50AE and certainly 500 magnum have multiple times the kinetic energy of the 50GI....

Again, if you want something to "say" the projectile is .50 inches across, you can get the GI conversion for a Glock for a reletively cheap price... if you want a .50+ cal to blow your friggin doors off, you're left to things like the 50ae or 500...
__________________
Unfortunately, with all the advances in medical science, there still just isnt any cure for "stupid".
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 16:59   #13
Spiffums
I.C.P.
 
Spiffums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,097
The DE is like racking the slide on a shotgun........ preps pee their pants and the event is over....... after EMS comes out for the Heart Attack the prep had if he saw it.
__________________
Internet Celebrity Personality
Spiffums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 17:14   #14
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 27,542
If I had to have a .50, I'd got with a Guncrafter 1911 type pistol.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 17:40   #15
bustedknee
Curmudgeon
 
bustedknee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wythe County, VA
Posts: 4,203
Its in the works but very hush hush.

The G50 will be a 12mm Gap.

The term "50 caliber" is a much hated term in California (as well as other places) so that term is to be avoided.
__________________
"I am old, sick, and tired of living. If you feel the need to mess with me, go right ahead." My Uncle, with his hand on his pistol, talking to a troublemaker. 2-13-1935 -- 2-1-2013
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 18:03   #16
DGreno
Silver Membership
FF/Paramedic
 
DGreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 1,125
http://www.impactguns.com/barrett-m8...-m82a1kit.aspx

Makes the Guncrafter cheap though...
__________________
Next to creating a life, the finest thing a man can do is save one. - Abraham Lincoln
DGreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 19:58   #17
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
Its in the works but very hush hush.

The G50 will be a 12mm Gap.

The term "50 caliber" is a much hated term in California (as well as other places) so that term is to be avoided.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 20:08   #18
unsigned
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 231
I've got a DE .50, fun toy. Not really practical in any way, but you appear to know that already. Be prepared for big boy ammo prices too, ~$1/per gets expensive decently quick. Nothing like bringing it out at the indoor range and hearing everyone else swear at the noise.
__________________
Glocks: 27,31, 20
Favorite combat tupperware? My SW99 in .40
unsigned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 21:34   #19
DoubleWide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
The DE is like racking the slide on a shotgun........ preps pee their pants and the event is over....... after EMS comes out for the Heart Attack the prep had if he saw it.
Damn preppies will piss their pants over anything.
DoubleWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 21:37   #20
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWide View Post
Damn preppies will piss their pants over anything.
Apparently so. Try popping off a .460S&W at an indoor range. That'll call for a cleanup on aisle 3.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14   #21
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Apparently so. Try popping off a .460S&W at an indoor range. That'll call for a cleanup on aisle 3.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05   #22
BellyUpFish
Member
 
BellyUpFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsigned View Post
I've got a DE .50, fun toy. Not really practical in any way, but you appear to know that already. Be prepared for big boy ammo prices too, ~$1/per gets expensive decently quick. Nothing like bringing it out at the indoor range and hearing everyone else swear at the noise.
Well it's looking more and more like I'll be picking up a Beowulf AR upper.. Seems to be the cheapest route initially.

I don't have an indoor range and my outdoor range is my backyard.
BellyUpFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 14:10   #23
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter
 
TN.Frank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Posts: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
Well it's looking more and more like I'll be picking up a Beowulf AR upper.. Seems to be the cheapest route initially.

I don't have an indoor range and my outdoor range is my backyard.
That would be a good choice. If you're into handloading ammo wouldn't be much more expensive then anything else. Although with an AR you'll need a Jacketed bullet so you'll have to buy those, with a Sharps or Remington Rolling Block copy in 50/70 or 50/90 you could cast your own bullets and load up for real cheap. You can even find a Winchester lever gun in one of the old 50 cal rounds and have a multi shot gun that'd take home cast lead bullets.
I guess it all depends on what you like. I love the old Cowboy style guns so I don't have any problems going to one for just about any situation. Some folks only like the new Black/Tactical stuff so a nice ol' lever gun wouldn't make em' happy no matter what.
__________________
*Glock G19 Gen3, RTF2*
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 14:18   #24
txpitdog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 509
S&W 500, accept no substitute. I have shot mine at an indoor range. Blew a chunk of ceiling tile down. I was kind enough to warn the other shooters, and after roaring off a cylinder of 350gr JHP @ 1700fps, a line of people interested in shooting it quickly formed.

Here's a couple pics of my buds and I shooting it at dusk.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 14:31   #25
AA#5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
Ok, there's a gap in my collection that I'd like to fill. Well, there are lots of gaps, but I'd like to start working on the .50 gap.

I have no real use for a .50 in either a rifle or a handgun, but I'd love to have one. Just to destroy the occasional XYZ with.

I'm leaning towards either the AA Beowulf AR or the Desert Eagle.

Anyone have any comments?
Well, I've been playing with the S&W 500 for four years now. It's fun on steel.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 691
179 Members
512 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42