Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:11   #1
Hawkeye shooter

Glock smiles with Underwood??

I took my 20SF out to the range for a little fun yesterday. I fired three different rounds. Privi Partisan 180 HP's, Underwood 135 Noslers, and Underwood 165 grn HP's. All shot well, (PPU's are weak!) but I had one jam with the 165 Underwood's. I also noticed the famous Glock Smile on the 165's. My question is, can the cases with the smiles be safely reloaded? I don't have reloading equipment yet, but I'm saving all of my brass for the future. I also noticed on Underwood's business card that he will reload customer supplied brass. Might have to give that a try...
Hawkeye shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42   #2
rcd567

Yeah, your going to experience a few smilies with Underwood. His 165 gr. loads are the real deal. And no, they don't reload worth a crap. I ended up getting a Lone Wolf barrel so I can reload my stuff...and in case of a zombie uprising.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:07   #3
MightyTygart

I've never had a glock smile/ However, I'm confused as to why they wouldn't reload after being resized. Can the glock smile not be pushed out?
MightyTygart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:28   #4
blk69stang

Glock smile *physically* can be removed and reloaded, but it is not worth the risk. That "smile" you see is the manifestation of microscopic shearing of the brass, and it is severely weakened in that area. I suppose you could use it for some very light target loads, but for the cost of brass I say just scrap 'em.

Also, the PPU loads ARE weak. I chrono'd them, and was only getting in the low 900 fps range with them. Weaker than .40 S&W.
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:58   #5
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Blk69stang wrote:
Quote:
That "smile" you see is the manifestation of microscopic shearing of the brass, and it is severely weakened in that area.
I have to agree, brass will stretch to a point, if the brass has a true "smile" distinct line, I would toss it! If it is a soft rounded belly you would probably be OK.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 23:20   #6
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Glocksmiled brass is DANGEROUS, and trash. Throw it away. I know it hurts, but do it. It doesn't hurt as bad as the likely KB that will happen when you push that brass again.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 23:32   #7
inspectorjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
Glocksmiled brass is DANGEROUS, and trash. Throw it away. I know it hurts, but do it. It doesn't hurt as bad as the likely KB that will happen when you push that brass again.
I have to agree with my pal 21Carrier. I don't reload, but, I always shoot hot loads to the point of bulges and smiles most of the time. People don't even chase my brass around the range anymore. I don't shoot a whole lot so when I do, I make it count. If I did reload, I wouldn't keep my brass that I obtained from Underwood. I like having both my hands and my good lookin' mug.
Old 12-28-2011, 00:29   #8
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

I should add that BULGES are ok, and will iron out with no problem. Only SMILES will ruin the brass. Every round I've ever fired through my G29 has bulged the brass. That's no problem. Here are some pictures for clarification:

These first two show bulged brass (kind of hard to see) that was from factory American Eagle 180gr FMJ. This is ok:
The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

These next two show actual Glock smiles, that are RUINED brass.
This first picture shows two pieces of smiled brass (on the sides), with two marked rounds in the middle (ignore the middle rounds, the marks on them are from a marker and needle:
The 10 Ring

The piece on the right was DANGEROUSLY close to causing a KB. This was from a load that had tested safe in my G29's stock 3.78" barrel (135gr Nosler JHP @ 1575fps). When I tested it in my 6" LWD G20LS barrel, I got the following. I thought the "full support" would keep smiles from occurring. It appears my barrel lacks full support. This is proof that a load that's safe with a short barrel is not always safe in a long barrel. These 135gr Nosler JHPs averaged 1800fps flat:
The 10 Ring

ALL OF THE ABOVE PICTURES WERE EITHER MY HAND LOADS OR FACTORY AMERICAN EAGLE. NONE OF THE ABOVE CAME FROM UNDERWOOD.

Last edited by 21Carrier; 12-28-2011 at 00:36..
Old 12-28-2011, 00:31   #9
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
I should add that BULGES are ok, and will iron out with no problem. Only SMILES will ruin the brass. Every round I've ever fired through my G29 has bulged the brass. That's no problem. Here are some pictures for clarification:

These first two show bulged brass (kind of hard to see) that was from factory American Eagle 180gr FMJ. This is ok:
The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

These next two show actual Glock smiles, that are RUINED brass.
This first picture shows two pieces of smiled brass (on the sides), with two marked rounds in the middle (ignore the middle rounds, the marks on them are from a marker and needle:
The 10 Ring

The piece on the right was DANGEROUSLY close to causing a KB. This was from a load that had tested safe in my G29's stock 3.78" barrel (135gr Nosler JHP @ 1575fps). When I tested it in my 6" LWD G20LS barrel, I got the following. I thought the "full support" would keep smiles from occurring. It appears my barrel lacks full support. These 135gr Nosler JHPs averaged 1800fps flat:
The 10 Ring
Ok - so is underwoods ammo safe if it is doing that to the rounds?
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 00:35   #10
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Ok - so is underwoods ammo safe if it is doing that to the rounds?
Those pictures were MY HAND LOADS, NOT Underwood ammo. Many people have shot Underwood ammo safely. Smiles are the first sign of overpressure. I'm not saying they are not safe, but it sounds like they are getting close to the limit. If only a few of the rounds cause smiles, I wouldn't worry about it. If ALL of them show smiles, I would consider an aftermarket barrel, or at least a heavier spring if you're gonna shoot it a lot.
Old 12-28-2011, 00:38   #11
inspectorjj

So far, I have only shot the 135gr. Noslers @ 1600 fps. I have gotten bulges but no smiles out of my Glock factory barrel. I feel very comfortable shooting these from Underwood. I can't speak for the other bullet weights.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:03   #12
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorjj View Post
So far, I have only shot the 135gr. Noslers @ 1600 fps. I have gotten bulges but no smiles out of my Glock factory barrel. I feel very comfortable shooting these from Underwood. I can't speak for the other bullet weights.
That's good to hear. I should also say that I've never shot Underwood ammo, so I was just talking about Glocksmiles in general. I have nothing worthwhile to add to the experience with Underwood ammo. I can't say one way or the other if it's safe or not. However, I'm guessing it's good-to-go. I've never heard of anyone having problems, and a LOT of people around here shoot it pretty regularly.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:16   #13
CDW4ME

Quote:

The 10 Ring
That is almost exactly how my recovered brass using the factory Hornady 155 gr. XTP and my handloads with same bullet looks.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35   #14
arushus
Biggest Member

Ive got quite a bit of brass that has smiles that are just barely visible, Ive tried taking pics with my 4mp phone camera, but you cant see them in the pics. I just wish I knew if they were safe to reload or not...nearly every round I shoot out of my stock barrel has the smile imprints on them. Even winchester and hornady factory rounds have them. I sure hope theyre ok, otherwise Im gonna have to go back through the fivehundred rounds of brass I have saved up and seperate the good from bad, that would suck.

Is there any definitive way to tell while youre reloading? Like say if theyre smiled badly enough not to reload, when you resize them they just collapse and wont go through the sizing die?
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45   #15
rcd567

Quote:

This^ He speaks the truth.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49   #16
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

arushus, the brass metal is malleable to a point, being over worked to the point of shear and the molecules are not going to pressed back into a useable position...it would have to go back to a molten state then stamped forged back to proper shape.

Annealing is a process used to soften brass that is work hardened, which is what happens if you resize it many times. This reduces the malleable properties and stress will cause it to fracture.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 16:28   #17
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
That is almost exactly how my recovered brass using the factory Hornady 155 gr. XTP and my handloads with same bullet looks.
Federal 180 on the left, Hornady 180 XTP on the right:

The 10 Ring
Old 12-28-2011, 16:37   #18
ruger rcm

Good info in this thread!
ruger rcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 17:04   #19
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Ive got quite a bit of brass that has smiles that are just barely visible, Ive tried taking pics with my 4mp phone camera, but you cant see them in the pics. I just wish I knew if they were safe to reload or not...nearly every round I shoot out of my stock barrel has the smile imprints on them. Even winchester and hornady factory rounds have them. I sure hope theyre ok, otherwise Im gonna have to go back through the fivehundred rounds of brass I have saved up and seperate the good from bad, that would suck.

Is there any definitive way to tell while youre reloading? Like say if theyre smiled badly enough not to reload, when you resize them they just collapse and wont go through the sizing die?
If the smile creates a ridge at all, no go for re-loading. I did run a couple of smiled brass through my re-sizer for the heck of it. I will do my best to explain. It looked as if someone had taken a putty knife and smooshed the bulge from smile to head. It left a really shiny bit of brass close to the head with a tiny ribbon of brass that looked like the edge of drywall plaster that wasn't smoothed to the edge. The resizer had clearly displaced material at the location of the smile and pushed it down toward the head. You could flake it off with little difficulty.

I might have an unusual G20 because smiles have been mostly non-existent. That being said, 100% of my hotter loads get a quick scan for smiles before re-sizing. I don't want to miss something that might otherwise get covered up in re-sizing.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 00:15   #20
Burien

Since we are sharing smiles...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1332131
Burien is offline   Reply With Quote