SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:45   #1
Fox
Varmit Control

I just finished building my reloading bench

I just finished building a reloading bench for my new apartment. I have to get some 3/8" or 1/4" bolts for mounting the presses, so they will be set up this evening. I also need a rubber mat to cover the carpeting. I don't want static electricity to spark when I am handling gunpowder, especially the blackpowder.

http://youtu.be/xTkwmadrW-8

Anyway, check out the video. I will be posing more reloading and shooting videos in the near future.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:49   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Carpet is not going to effect your loading in any way and NMLRA has done countless tests and has never been able to ignite black powder with static electricity.

That doesn't negate the need to use a powder measure with brass mechanicals however if you're going to load BP with that instead of dippers.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:10   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I just finished building a reloading bench for my new apartment. I have to get some 3/8" or 1/4" bolts for mounting the presses, so they will be set up this evening. I also need a rubber mat to cover the carpeting. I don't want static electricity to spark when I am handling gunpowder, especially the blackpowder.

http://youtu.be/xTkwmadrW-8

Anyway, check out the video. I will be posing more reloading and shooting videos in the near future.
Next size up from 1/4" is 5/16". 3/8" is pretty dang big.

I just installed the Dillon strong mount for my 650 the other night. It came with 1/4" hardware, I thought that was too puny so drilled out the mount hole to a 5/16" and bought appropriate length bolts. That is plenty sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 14:06   #4
shotgunred
reloading nut

Just make sure you attach you bench to the wall.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 14:41   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
Just make sure you attach you bench to the wall.
And the floor too if at all possible.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:53   #6
Fox
Varmit Control

I am only renting this place, so I don't want to drive any lag bolts into the floor. I could get a 1x4 strip screwed to the studs in the wall and attach the bench to that with straps or something.

I will post a photo when it's all set up.

Last edited by Fox; 12-30-2011 at 10:54.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2011, 11:08   #7
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Carpet is not going to effect your loading in any way and NMLRA has done countless tests and has never been able to ignite black powder with static electricity.

That doesn't negate the need to use a powder measure with brass mechanicals however if you're going to load BP with that instead of dippers.

Jack
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:59   #8
norton

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up!
A throw rug is a good idea under your bench if you are loading on carpet. It is much easier to clean up powder spills if all you have to do is pick up the throw rug and take it outside. I once spilled a full hopper of powder on the floor. I was thankful I had the throw rug to get rid of the evidence before Mrs. Norton could see it.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
A throw rug is a good idea under your bench if you are loading on carpet. It is much easier to clean up powder spills if all you have to do is pick up the throw rug and take it outside. I once spilled a full hopper of powder on the floor. I was thankful I had the throw rug to get rid of the evidence before Mrs. Norton could see it.

Jack

Old 12-30-2011, 12:07   #10
ca survivor

looks good
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 14:16   #11
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
I am only renting this place, so I don't want to drive any lag bolts into the floor. I could get a 1x4 strip screwed to the studs in the wall and attach the bench to that with straps or something.

I will post a photo when it's all set up.
If you shoot sheetrock screws like you are toenailing the legs to the floor, they will go right through the carpet and not damage it. The wall should be good enough though if your are being cautious. I made the back of my bench flush like a "nailer" on kitchen cabinets and just shot right into the studs with sheetrock screws. It will leave nothing a little spackle won't fix.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 14:36   #12
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Just watched your video, (didn't notice it was there when I read your original post).

When you run out of your musket caps switch to number 11 percussion caps. If your nipple is too tight just relieve it with a few swipes of a file. You'll save money, get exactly the same reliable ignition and avoid cutting your fingers on the sharp wings.

You probably already know that you should give that Pyrodex crap to some liberals and tell them it's black pepper... that's the best use for it.

If you haven't tried FFFG Goex in your guns you might want to give it a shot. Much less fouling, (less swabbing between shots), more consistent ignition and pressure which equates to tighter target groups.

FFG ig great for shotgun, (trap and skeet), little less recoil with the same load and accuracy isn't a problem. If you're on you can break 'em loadin' baby powder and pebbles.

(How come you had that creepy looking, criminal type hosting your video? )

Jack

Old 12-30-2011, 22:06   #13
shotgunred
reloading nut

We can't all look like Tom Selleck.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 23:14   #14
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

No antlers or hot chick calendar... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:35   #15
BK63

Must have some hot Dillon women posters on the wall and all will be complete.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26   #16
njl

Am I the only one worried about primers on a hung shelf? Sure, they probably couldn't go off if the shelf and all the primers fell...but why even risk it?

I keep my primers in a locked cabinet...keeps 'em secure, and they can't fall anywhere unless the house falls down first.

I keep all my powders locked up too...and only ever have one can/jug out at a time...and leave out the one that's in the press while I'm loading (and never leave powder in it when I'm done). That reduces the chances of pouring a hopper of Universal Clays into a jug of H110.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:44   #17
jmorris

If the shipping process didn't set them off, I bet they are safe on the shelf.
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 13:19   #18
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
If the shipping process didn't set them off, I bet they are safe on the shelf.
Seriously, although I am sure the UPS guys handle the stuff marked explosive a lot nicer than the rest.
Glad to see another newb reloader enter the fold. DOn't cut the legs of that bench, you may find like many of us, that you prefer to reload standing so you can see. As to carpet, the onlt issue for me is getting crap stuck in the carpet. There will always be a primer go wild, dead or live, & hit the flooor. Spilled powder, etc, so a big piece of indoor/outdoor carpet under the bench will help keep things cleaner.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 17:36   #19
jmorris

Quote:
Seriously, although I am sure the UPS guys handle the stuff marked explosive a lot nicer than the rest.
I was being serious, I have crushed live primers in a vise without them going off, back when I couldn't see how you could blow up one inserting it into a primer pocket.

After that I was at a friends house when hit lit up a tube, still don't know exactly what he did but am quite certain that it can happen.

On a shelf in a box...do you keep your loaded ammo at ground level at all times?
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 17:52   #20
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
I was being serious, I have crushed live primers in a vise without them going off, back when I couldn't see how you could blow up one inserting it into a primer pocket.

After that I was at a friends house when hit lit up a tube, still don't know exactly what he did but am quite certain that it can happen.

On a shelf in a box...do you keep your loaded ammo at ground level at all times?
Yep I have set off a single primer a couple of times myself. And a friend of mine has set off the whole tube 3 or 4 times.
GSSF Life Member
Old 12-31-2011, 18:05   #21
Bello
America/Italia

looks kind of like mine!

Reloading
Old 12-31-2011, 18:11   #22
njl

I'm not saying it's likely to be a problem...I just wouldn't want to be around (or have it be my house) if a shelf full of powder and primers fell down.

Actually, with the housing market the way it is, having the house blow up / burn down might not be the worst thing that could happen.
Old 12-31-2011, 21:16   #23
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Yep I have set off a single primer a couple of times myself. And a friend of mine has set off the whole tube 3 or 4 times.
Having loaded maybe 250K rounds in my short life, I can't imagine how one does such things. It has just never happened to me loading on a ss stage or progressive.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 12-31-2011, 21:18   #24
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
I'm not saying it's likely to be a problem...I just wouldn't want to be around (or have it be my house) if a shelf full of powder and primers fell down.

Actually, with the housing market the way it is, having the house blow up / burn down might not be the worst thing that could happen.
I understand your concern, but people should worry more about their cleaning & paint supplies in the garage. Reloading stuff is pretty stable unless there is a fire. Old paint thinner rags stored improperly can self combust, primers & powder are pretty inert on their own.