SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 13:01   #426
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
picked up a pair of large bolt cutters and a siphon pump for just in case type of things. also picked up my welder this morning. now off to pich up some tips, a scrap bed frame, and enough stuff to run a 220 outlet in the garage.
Old 07-14-2012, 13:10   #427
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Sharp.

If you don't mind a couple suggestions, the first two things I'd recommend for that is a quick-acquisition short-to-medium-range optic and a lot of ammo; and most of that ammo sent downrange in the pursuit of practice & familiarity.
I don't mind at all, and you are spot on. I got about 1k rounds of ammo but I am seeking more. I will be going back to the range and I'm looking over the schedules now to see which Appleseed(s) I can make it to. (I've been to Saturday only twice with my 10/22 so far). I plan to attend two full weekends of 'seed yet this year, one each with my two (new) rifles: AR and M1.

I will also start looking up what kind of carbine class I can get into.

And I have my eye on an Aimpoint PRO.

I also may end up removing the sling swivel from beneath the front site so that I can mount the light farther forward. And I'm looking for a new grip, one that I can stow parts in and that won't tear my middle finger up so much.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 07-14-2012 at 13:12..
Old 07-14-2012, 20:32   #428
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Bought a few things for SHTF/the new adventure:
Goal Zero 19010 Guide 10 Plus Black/Silver Small Adventure Kit
Small pile of Sanyo XX Battery Powered by eneloop, 2500mAh High (this is not enough to replace everything, but enough to for my planned adventure).
Nalgene wide mouth bottles and some cap-caps

Some items to help keep me from running over anyone on the bicycle trail and keep from getting run over on the road.

Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror
Delta Airzound Bike Horn
Mirrycle Incredibell XL BLK Bicycle Bell (Black)

Then there are the items for exercizing:

ARCTIC Portable USB-Fan. This little fans is ok, but
Bike for Life: How to Ride to 100. Still waiting on this item.
Earbuds for listening to music while exercizing.
Dumbbells w/removable weights (40# total weight)

The important stuff:
Bicycle commuted to work 3 days
Worked out on weights 1 day (Still learning on this)
Old 07-14-2012, 21:00   #429
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

And I have my eye on an Aimpoint PRO.
I really like the Aimpoint Pro, it's a nice price point for a quality red dot. I prefer the AA battery in the Comp M4 and you could buy an Aimpoint Comp M4s a couple of months ago for $699 from a vendor on one of these boards, I could look it up if your interested.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 07-15-2012, 00:11   #430
M1A Shooter

after using an aimpoint and an eotech on different combat tours, i very greatly prefer the aimpoints and the PRO seems to be a great value. AA batteries would be nice but the several year lifespan of any battery in the aimpoints is great.
Old 07-15-2012, 17:54   #431
wrenrj1

Since January, I've lost 45 lbs. Ran three-miles today, walked 2.5, biked 2-miles. I can buy all the tactical crap, food, water, etc. but being healthy enough to react and survive has become my primary issue in preparedness among other things.
Old 07-15-2012, 20:01   #432
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
I really like the Aimpoint Pro, it's a nice price point for a quality red dot. I prefer the AA battery in the Comp M4 and you could buy an Aimpoint Comp M4s a couple of months ago for $699 from a vendor on one of these boards, I could look it up if your interested.
$700 is a lot more than $400. Would the M4 need a mount?

I'm not worried about battery type since they last for years.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 07-15-2012, 20:42   #433
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
$700 is a lot more than $400. Would the M4 need a mount?

I'm not worried about battery type since they last for years.
The Comp M4 comes with a mount, it does not come with flip covers and a flash hider and those will cost you about $80.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 07-15-2012, 20:51   #434
M1A Shooter

for the price of having AA batteries, you could find a deal on a used acog and have no batteries.

not sure if i posted earlier but we got some horses again. wife has done some wheeling and dealing and got a heck of a deal. got a horse as an abandoned rescue - great horse, picked up a decent trailer for a few hundred bucks but got the bearings packed and 4 new tires for moving a horse and a second load of 12 hay bales for the local tire shop owner, and our second horse was traded for a piece of antique furniture my wife refinished which we had $2 into from a local auction - also a great horse. and on top of that, we get free board on a friends small farm which is only 10 minutes away.

so now i guess you could say we have bug out vehicles also starting to network with people on smaller acerage just outside of town and they are all preppers but mostly the classic farm type prepared, not zombies

also debating growing some bamboo. friend has some on his farm that i could easily transplant. its a very tenacious plant but with proper care, it should stay under control. he has actually used some of it to build his fences around his barn, so my secondary thought of using it as contruction material as well as privacy screening should be sound. anyone here mess with it?

Last edited by M1A Shooter; 07-15-2012 at 21:00..
Old 07-15-2012, 20:57   #435
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
The Comp M4 comes with a mount, it does not come with flip covers and a flash hider and those will cost you about $80.
What advantage does it offer over the $400 Aimpoint PRO? Other than batteries, as I am not concerned with that seeing as how they last for years...without ever even having to turn it off. $780 vs $400 is a huge difference to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
for the price of having AA batteries, you could find a deal on a used acog and have no batteries.
And probably be a bit slower than a RDS when shooting up close.

An ACOG was never even a serious consideration for me. It was always either a RDS or an illuminated 1-4x scope such as a Trijicon TR24. I don't want something that doesn't have a "true 1x" available.

Last edited by Warp; 07-15-2012 at 20:59..
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55   #436
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
What advantage does it offer over the $400 Aimpoint PRO? Other than batteries, as I am not concerned with that seeing as how they last for years...without ever even having to turn it off. $780 vs $400 is a huge difference to me.
It's only other attribute is that they are virtually indestructable and work in any environment.

Old 07-16-2012, 21:46   #437
M1A Shooter

i personally shoot with a Millett DMS 1-4x scope on my carbine. it has a reticle similar to an eotech but can go to 4x. i find that on its brightest setting, i can shoot both eyes open on 4x like the acog is designed. i feel its only downside is the battery life.
Old 07-16-2012, 21:55   #438
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
It's only other attribute is that they are virtually indestructable and work in any environment.
Does that not apply equally to the Aimpoint PRO?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:50   #439
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Does that not apply equally to the Aimpoint PRO?
When I was making the same decision I was told no. The Comp M4 is made for the military to take to the desert or to the arctic, the PRO is made for the police/civilian market. I would have bought one except for the battery with my intended purpose being to supplement my iron sights.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:53   #440
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Since January, I've lost 45 lbs. Ran three-miles today, walked 2.5, biked 2-miles. I can buy all the tactical crap, food, water, etc. but being healthy enough to react and survive has become my primary issue in preparedness among other things.
Congrats.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26   #441
DoctaGlockta

I've been spending more time with my wife and 4 young kids. Talking to them about the real world (not that which they see on TV), life and how fortunate we are to have all the things we do.

Some might not consider this a S&P item but I do.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31   #442
bdcochran

different response

There are over 1200 types of bamboo worldwide and identification is done according to its flower.

There is a type of bamboo that is just fine for making floors.

I have bamboo planted on my hillside by a neighbor with my permission. The type of bamboo will not spread like wildfire.

When planting trees and such, check with experts.

California had a problem with Eucalypti. There are hundreds of species. Someone read that it made excellent lumber so thousands of acres were planted in crap. The wrong type was innocently planted. The investors lost their money. The hills of Berkeley had a tremendous fire about 20 years ago when the old growth went up in flames.

In my neighborhood, there is a lot of Italian Cypress planted. When lit by an accidental flame, it is like having a Roman candle.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:09   #443
BR549
Thread Killer

Bamboo - plan and prepare carefully

If you get the wrong type and/or do not put the proper barriers in place to control it....

yes, it is VERY TENACIOUS......

BUT it will NOT stay under control without MUCH CARE...

Get the right type and put the barriers in BEFORE you plant it.

Also, research the powder post beetle before using it for any structural purposes.

Other than all the negatives, bamboo is useful for many things.
Old 07-17-2012, 21:39   #444
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
When I was making the same decision I was told no. The Comp M4 is made for the military to take to the desert or to the arctic, the PRO is made for the police/civilian market. I would have bought one except for the battery with my intended purpose being to supplement my iron sights.

Who told you this? Any source/reference? I've looked into this a bit and haven't seen anything of that nature yet.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:45   #445
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Who told you this? Any source/reference? I've looked into this a bit and haven't seen anything of that nature yet.
I honestly can't remember. It's been a while but I went through all of the same things that you are doing now and that was the conclusion that I came to based on every source that I could find at the time. I liked the PRO by the way, just felt that the Comp M4 was that much better quality.

It makes good sense though since if they provided the same benifit they would cost the same amount.

Old 07-18-2012, 21:28   #446
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I honestly can't remember. It's been a while but I went through all of the same things that you are doing now and that was the conclusion that I came to based on every source that I could find at the time. I liked the PRO by the way, just felt that the Comp M4 was that much better quality.

It makes good sense though since if they provided the same benifit they would cost the same amount.
I'm mostly going off of M4carbine.net. Those guys are freely critical of anything that isn't quality and doesn't perform, near as I can tell, and have nothing but good things to say about the PRO.

Old 07-18-2012, 22:49   #447
M1A Shooter

COMP M3 is probably the closes comparison and the only differences i can see, other than the included mount as any 30mm mount will work for both, is the PRO has a 30k hour life vs a 50k hour life and the PRO is also high strength aluminum vs extruded aluminum.

no sure if 2 years of battery life over 3 years already, of continuous use, is worth the extra cost, and also not sure what the actual process is of manufacturing the tubes over extrusion...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07   #448
NBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
also debating growing some bamboo. friend has some on his farm that i could easily transplant. its a very tenacious plant but with proper care, it should stay under control. he has actually used some of it to build his fences around his barn, so my secondary thought of using it as construction material as well as privacy screening should be sound. anyone here mess with it?
I grow it...have two varieties...both clumping and not running. The pics I am providing will show the two varieties....the smaller ones will top out at 15-20 feet and make a border across the back of the yard....the other is in the corner and tops out at 45-55'. All of them have been in for 2 years. Were now looking at another variety for the two corners of our patio...this giant Bamboo...also clumping get's in excess of 55'....but in short order will provide shade over our addition. The new shoot's are also a delicacy, and can be harvested to eat.

Back Right...
Survival/Preparedness Forum

Along the fence...

These are the folks we get our bamboo from...and are great to talk to.
http://www.bamboogardens.net/

This was a pic about 8 months prior...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:28   #449
coastal4974

I got my ham license. Now to upgrade to general class and find a used rig.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01   #450
Mike2

I just purchased 10 boxes of the Winchester Military 00 buckshot. I have never used this stuff before, does anyone have input on the quality??? Got 10 boxes for 4.95 per box did I get hosed???