Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 13:59   #451
GlockPistola

Ordered a bunch of food from Safecastle and been spending a lot of time at the range.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:21   #452
bdcochran

different reponse

A couple of weeks ago, I received the Spyderco sharpening system and did all the kitchen knives. I watched some videos on youtube on how to use the system.

I then ordered a two sided axe sharpening stone after watching a couple of youtube videos on how to sharpen axes. Finished the project this morning. Can use it on lopping shears as well.

I have a new chainsaw (Skihl) in the wrap. Made a couple of copies of the manual. Picked up a spare spark plug. The air filters were not in stock at the dealer. He is ordering some and I will pick one up in a couple of weeks. I am watching and rewatching the videos on how to use the same. I had asked two engineers if they could show me how to use it. They both lied and said that they were experienced and couldn't even figure out how to turn one on. I will watch the video repeatedly out of safety concerns.
Old 07-20-2012, 14:28   #453
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Acquired a generator for a great price -FREE.

Not much. Just a 2,500 Coleman power mate. My stepdad bought it for Y2K. It has like 2 hours on it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
Old 07-21-2012, 13:58   #454
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
bdcochran-
also dont forget at least one spare chain and the correct file and guide to resharpen it yourself. you can tell by the sawdust coming out when it needs to be resharpened. happens quicker than most think.
Old 07-21-2012, 14:44   #455
jdavionic
NRA Member

Well, this will be lame to many...paid for my daughter's books, dorm, and tuition for her first semester at college - all paid in cash (well, directly out of my account). She has been working to get money for other living expenses as well. My goal is to that between us both, she graduates with $0 in student loans and neither of us use any credit cards.

Lame prep to most...but it's been really challenging to save the money to make it happen. The tuition was paid over 18 yrs, since I started this prep when she was born by contributing every month into a prepaid college program for tuition.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 07-21-2012, 15:16   #456
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Well, this will be lame to many...paid for my daughter's books, dorm, and tuition for her first semester at college - all paid in cash (well, directly out of my account). She has been working to get money for other living expenses as well. My goal is to that between us both, she graduates with $0 in student loans and neither of us use any credit cards.

Lame prep to most...but it's been really challenging to save the money to make it happen. The tuition was paid over 18 yrs, since I started this prep when she was born by contributing every month into a prepaid college program for tuition.
Great going and I admire it. Have you been following all of these kids and politicians talking about absolving student loan debt? Just a thought, anything for a vote and all that.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 07-21-2012, 16:05   #457
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:

I believe, this is not a prep. This is a prep paying off.

Good for you and good for her.

I only have one word of advice, make her work for some of it. Whether it is by getting good grades or having a part time job for her fun money. I think it helps in growing good people.
Old 07-21-2012, 16:12   #458
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Relearning Linux
Relearning Spanish
Reading about workouts
Bicycling, Weight lifting, swimming
Old 07-21-2012, 18:12   #459
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I believe, this is not a prep. This is a prep paying off.

Good for you and good for her.

I only have one word of advice, make her work for some of it. Whether it is by getting good grades or having a part time job for her fun money. I think it helps in growing good people.
Thanks! We already put her to work. She got her certification for Lifeguard and has been working as a lifeguard, putting money away for college.

She was also told to get a job on campus by her second term. I basically told her that she needs to help pay or I won't pay at all.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 07-21-2012, 19:34   #460
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Thanks! We already put her to work. She got her certification for Lifeguard and has been working as a lifeguard, putting money away for college.

She was also told to get a job on campus by her second term. I basically told her that she needs to help pay or I won't pay at all.
You sound like a good parent.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10   #461
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Yep,but he's a Gators fan.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 07-22-2012, 15:08   #462
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPistola View Post
Ordered a bunch of food from Safecastle
That MH sale they had was pretty sweet (it's over now). Plus the $20 off. No brainer.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 07-22-2012 at 15:09..
Old 07-22-2012, 15:47   #463
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
And I'm looking for a new grip, one that I can stow parts in and that won't tear my middle finger up so much.

The Gapper is an inexpensive fix until you decide on a grip.

http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail...TOKEN=95095487

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 07-22-2012 at 15:47..
Old 07-22-2012, 16:52   #464
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I discovered the gapper not long after making that post. May try an ergo grip shortly though.

Recently ordered an Aimpoint PRO.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 07-22-2012, 19:51   #465
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

got one of the Sawyer water filter systems...filter g'teed for 1,000,000 gallons, great system.

"demography is destiny"
Old 07-22-2012, 21:34   #466
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
And I'm looking for a new grip, one that I can stow parts in and that won't tear my middle finger up so much.
I like my Magpul grip. Then again, I don't have an issue with the standard grip. I just wanted to the correct things in the different AR grips.
Old 07-23-2012, 21:55   #467
GlockPistola

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
That MH sale they had was pretty sweet (it's over now). Plus the $20 off. No brainer.
Yeap, that was a sweet deal, that's why I took advantage of it. The sale was nice, plus I got a free membership, plus the $20 off, plus a $30 gift certificate for my next purchase, which I made right away.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18   #468
DoctaGlockta

Finally bought my first deep cycle marine battery on the weekend. Now I need to test it out with my inverter.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 07-24-2012, 20:21   #469
bdcochran

Located my marine transceiver and a couple of 220 radios. Downloaded the manuals into my computer and printed out copies that were put in zip lock bags. The radios then went into a snap-on clear plastic container.

This is part of the on-going project of downloading manuals and printing out protected copies. This option did not exist only a few years ago.
Old 07-24-2012, 20:32   #470
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Got called by a long time friend who read up on Katrina and other disasters. He wanted to get together to talk about preps and plans. I told him some of what I have done and he told me what he has done but he wants more info and more specifics. I trust him with my life so I have no problem telling him about my situation. He is going to come by next week so we can work it out in detail and I can show him some of my gear. I consider that part of this topic since I am helping others prep who are of the same mindset and who I can count on for support if we need to band together. At least we are already on the same page.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:05   #471
Mike2

Bought 10 more boxes of the winchester (didn't get hosed) Military grade OO buckshot along with another brick of 22's. Also recvd my new Hawke Hellion, can't wait to test it out, heading to the smokies in August to give it a go, chompin at the bits to get in the woods...

Last edited by Mike2; 07-25-2012 at 06:11.. Reason: brain malfunction
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53   #472
Carry16

If "bought my first" is an indicator that you may buy more, I feel compelled to point out that in the emergency backup world marine batteries are not considered deep cycle OR long life. For the most economical batteries you should look at golf cart batteries. Beyond that the cost goes up to staggering levels.

That said, I too bought a 12v marine battery and connected it to a charge controller and a 1kw inverter and an array of three 15 watt solar panel. I have it all mounted (not the panels) on a homemade handtruck type thing that I can drag around and use it to power a drill, sawzall, etc. More for experimentation than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
Finally bought my first deep cycle marine battery on the weekend. Now I need to test it out with my inverter.

Last edited by Carry16; 07-25-2012 at 09:54..
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54   #473
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry16 View Post
If "bought my first" is an indicator that you may buy more, I feel compelled to point out that in the emergency backup world marine batteries are not considered deep cycle OR long life. For the most economical batteries you should look at golf cart batteries. Beyond that the cost goes up to staggering levels.

That said, I too bought a 12v marine battery and connected it to a charge controller and a 1kw inverter and an array of three 15 watt solar panel. I have it all mounted (not the panels) on a homemade handtruck type thing that I can drag around and use it to power a drill, sawzall, etc. More for experimentation than anything else.
We all got to start somewhere. Thanks for the info. How has your set up been working?

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 07-25-2012, 13:54   #474
Carry16

It seems to work fine. I have a Morningstar ProStar 30 Amp Solar Charge Controller ( http://www.solar-electric.com/ps-30m.html ) connected to the battery and solar panels. It's a little overkill, but if I ever go beyong my 45 watts of solar it will get to show it's stuff. I have taken the battery/inverter out in the yard and run power tools for 2+ hours and haven't noticed any loss of power. And that's continuous use.

My original thoughts were to do a DIY of this thing: http://www.altestore.com/store/Porta...FcVgTAodzUgAjg

I have a good generator for emergencies, but I thought I would tinker with the solar/inverter stuff just for grins. I'm retired and I need something to occupy my mind during the week ;-) If I were starting again I would look for one of the newer type MPPT charge controllers.

If nothing else, the marine battery may come in handy if I need to jump something during the winter.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:52   #475
The Shadow

Bought another 500 round case of ammo for my evil black rifle. Think I'll keep it in a "bucket."

Terry