Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 21:27   #526
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I tried watching that... don't get it. What's the point? Is there some hidden stuff?
Same here. I was hoping for at least some skin. All it is is a bunch of people sitting around gossiping. It's like the real world but worse.

Kinda like someone just installed a bunch of cameras in a house and pushed record but they left out the good parts of what might go on with a house full of people in their 20's.

-Emt1581
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48   #527
Restless28

Picked up a new Magpul MOE FDE Colt LE6920 along with an Aimpoint PRO, VTAC padded sling, extra PMags and boolits.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:33   #528
Slackinoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Picked up a new Magpul MOE FDE Colt LE6920 along with an Aimpoint PRO, VTAC padded sling, extra PMags and boolits.
Nice purchase. A picture would be nice?

I have started the process of consolidating my pistols to 9mm. I sold the g23 and the 1911 last week. I also purchased a gen4 g19. My plan is to get some official training and shoot more/competitions.
I just want to be better prepared/trained/ready for handling bad situations to protect myself and others.

Last edited by Slackinoff; 08-04-2012 at 11:34..
Old 08-04-2012, 19:29   #529
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Since there is a possibility that I will not be able to move tomorrow.....

Rode bicycle 42.6 miles into the wind.
Old 08-04-2012, 23:02   #530
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Since there is a possibility that I will not be able to move tomorrow.....

Rode bicycle 42.6 miles into the wind.
I feel you. After a 3 month layoff I went back to weight training a couple of days ago. It hurts to walk, and stairs are a *****

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47   #531
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I feel you. After a 3 month layoff I went back to weight training a couple of days ago. It hurts to walk, and stairs are a *****
It is not as bad as I expected. I have a few aches and pains, but for increasing my mileage by 25% and going into the wind, it isn't that bad.
Old 08-05-2012, 13:46   #532
quake

Chronographed some handgun loads for the first time in a while, with a couple surprises.

In the little 450C (.45lc snub with a 2 3/4" ported barrel), the most powerful load was actually a handload that I've always consdered no more than 'moderate'; a 200 flatpoint on top of 7.3 grains of bullseye. It really wasn't that that load is hot, it's that the two factory loads I compared it to seemed so weak. Blazer 200 JHP averaged just 712 fps for 225 ft/lbs, and even Hornady's 185 FTX defense-oriented load averaged 261 ft/lbs. Granted, the little gun is kind of worst-case for velocity with a snubnose & porting both, but it was good to actually see what different loads put out in it.

In 9mm, I tried an interesting new-to-me load; the corbon pow'rball. It's on the light side at 100 grains, but it shows good penetration and expansion both in gel tests I've found, and had by far the most muzzle energy of any factory load I've clocked. From a g19 it averaged 1463 fps or 475 ft/lbs; more than 150 fps faster than my old long-term favorite, federal's +P+ 9bple load. From the little kahr cm9, it ran 1292 fps, again more than 150 fps faster than the +P+ federal load and 250-260 fps faster than than standard-pressure loads. Even though it outpaced the great old +P+ federal load I've used for so long, the pow'rball does it at +P level, not +P+; so I can use it with impunity in any 9mm I own. (At least as much as I can afford to anyway; that stuff runs a dollar a round. ) I figure once I run enough of it to trust it, I may keep it as my primary load for the kahr, since the glocks run fine with the much-cheaper federal load and are rated for it, while the pow'rball makes such a substantial difference in the little cm9 compared to other loads.

That's assuming it continues to like them; only time will tell.

If anyone has a sub-$1-a-round source for pow'rball 9mm, I'd love to hear about it.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
Old 08-05-2012, 17:10   #533
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I got off the keyboard and worked a gun rights/carry rights booth most of the weekend. Certainly not the first time, nor the last. It's always nice to get the face to face conversation with random, regular people you won't reach on a gun forum.

Working to get more on our side, one by one.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 08-05-2012 at 17:11..
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13   #534
Slackinoff

Quote:
I got off the keyboard and worked a gun rights/carry rights booth most of the weekend. Certainly not the first time, nor the last. It's always nice to get the face to face conversation with random, regular people you won't reach on a gun forum.

very cool warp,
Old 08-11-2012, 07:54   #535
quake

Did some more chrono testing of loads in 9mm & .380acp, bought some more 9mm powerball rounds to test and ordered a couple more holsters & some extra magazines for the new kahr compact 9mm.

Focusing more on intentional aerobic exercising instead of weightlifting alone. I've been doing so for a while, but frankly am now leaning even more strongly toward aerobics/cardio than before.

Got invited to sing at the arkansas state baptist convention this october. (OK, not a prep thing I confess, but I was kind of psyched at the invitation. Not sure yet if it's to be a quartet, ensemble, full choir or what.)

Old 08-11-2012, 09:23   #536
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Did some more chrono testing of loads in 9mm & .380acp, bought some more 9mm powerball rounds to test and ordered a couple more holsters & some extra magazines for the new kahr compact 9mm.

Is any of the 9mm testing with subs?

BTW...the 9mm subs (147 gr PRVI & Silver Bear 145 gr) I mentioned I was having a problem with in the G19..

..functioned just fine in the CZ75 P07 Duty Threaded.

Checked with other suppressed users....mixed results on whether their G19 would function with both loads..

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
Old 08-11-2012, 09:24   #537
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:

Old 08-11-2012, 11:39   #538
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
Is any of the 9mm testing with subs?

BTW...the 9mm subs (147 gr PRVI & Silver Bear 145 gr) I mentioned I was having a problem with in the G19..

..functioned just fine in the CZ75 P07 Duty Threaded.

Checked with other suppressed users....mixed results on whether their G19 would function with both loads..
Some were. Win-USA 147 jhp averaged just 879fps, and the old federal hi-shok 147's averaged 874. That's thru the "sub-micro" CM9. They ran some faster from the G26 & G19, but still subsonic. Don't have those results handy; they're in a spreadsheet in my work pc which is two counties away right now. I'll dig them up when I get a chance & post them if you want.

Those two 147-grain results are a big part of why I'm not on the "heavy bullet 9mm" bandwagon. They basically replicate a .38 special, and while that's respectable, the 9mm is capable of a whole lot more. Even generic Win-USA white box 115 jhp breaks well over a thousand fps, even in the little CM9, and the +P (not +P+) corbon pow'rball runs almost 1300 fps; almost 50% more power than the 147's from the same gun.

Fwiw, in this gun's extra-short barrel, the +P+ loads I checked actually didn't exceed the +P loads. Surprised me, but good to know.

This thread has more CM9-specific chrono results with loads from 100-147 grains -
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1436912

I'll dig up the results from other guns when I get back up in that area.

Old 08-11-2012, 15:19   #539
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
I'll dig them up when I get a chance & post them if you want.
Thanks!

Quote:
Those two 147-grain results are a big part of why I'm not on the "heavy bullet 9mm" bandwagon. They basically replicate a .38 special, and while that's respectable, the 9mm is capable of a whole lot more..

My views on this parallel yours since I first started shooting 9mm ...(heavily influenced at a young age by the controversial book on "Handgun Stopping Power: The Definitive Study" by Marshall & Sanow)

..& normally I run +P or +P+ 115 gr JHP....(such as 9BPLE, Corbon, etc)

..sometimes up to 124 gr & as low as 90 grain with specialty rounds.

My more recent interest with heavier 9mm is basically running suppressed..

..main criteria being reliable (suppressed or unsuppressed), remaining subsonic while suppressed, maximum noise reduction, decent soft tissue performance, accurate, & relatively inexpensive.

Last edited by LongGun1; 08-11-2012 at 15:54..
Old 08-11-2012, 16:02   #540
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
..main criteria being reliable (suppressed or unsuppressed), remaining subsonic while suppressed, maximum noise reduction, decent soft tissue performance, accurate, & relatively inexpensive.
With the 45....velocity was key to a round being quieter. When I pushed right to the edge of super sonic, it was louder. When I reduced I could make it quieter.
Old 08-11-2012, 17:50   #541
quake

Quote:
...My more recent interest with heavier 9mm is basically running suppressed..

For suppressed use, I've pretty much settled on Fiocchi 158fmj and Federal AE 147 fmj/fp. Not the cheapest options, but cheap enough; and both have run 100% reliable in the pistols & carbine both.

Old 08-11-2012, 19:10   #542
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Appleseed with my new AR. Shot a 222 on the only scored AQT of the day. Going back tomorrow.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Old 08-11-2012, 19:25   #543
Dexters

Quote:
Appleseed with my new AR. Shot a 222 on the only scored AQT of the day. Going back tomorrow.
What rage is that? Near ATL?
Old 08-12-2012, 04:53   #544
Slackinoff

Well, P&G have not emailed me back yet....I sent them one for ivory and dawn since they make both but I guess they don't give a hoot.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42   #545
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackinoff View Post
Well, P&G have not emailed me back yet....I sent them one for ivory and dawn since they make both but I guess they don't give a hoot.
Not many companies will answer emails. Try finding a phone number for best results. Some will juggle you through a phone system that has no representatives but 99% of them will eventually get you someone if you play the game well enough.

Good luck!

-Emt1581
Old 08-12-2012, 10:15   #546
bdcochran

update

1. I never heard back from "Dawn". My grumble is that companies put up a "website", don't maintain it, and don't understand its usage as a marketing tool.

2. I know that Ivory liquid does not contain abrasives or perfumes.

3. I went to the grocery shelf and I did not find a dawn product that did not include perfume.

You can soak your toothbrushes, eye glasses, and tools in a solution and not be concerned about them being abraided or altered by perfume ingredients. Generally, there is a "sale" about twice a year. Then, I will buy a case.

Comment: Most people do not know that they need to clean the tooth brushes and eye glasses to minimize the potential of infections. I keep a shallow rectangular plastic tray with an ivory solution near the kitchen sink. This morning, the proxy brushes and removable electric tooth brush head will get a cleaning.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:45   #547
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:

Nice!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:12   #548
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
1. I never heard back from "Dawn". My grumble is that companies put up a "website", don't maintain it, and don't understand its usage as a marketing tool.

2. I know that Ivory liquid does not contain abrasives or perfumes.

3. I went to the grocery shelf and I did not find a dawn product that did not include perfume.

You can soak your toothbrushes, eye glasses, and tools in a solution and not be concerned about them being abraided or altered by perfume ingredients. Generally, there is a "sale" about twice a year. Then, I will buy a case.

Comment: Most people do not know that they need to clean the tooth brushes and eye glasses to minimize the potential of infections. I keep a shallow rectangular plastic tray with an ivory solution near the kitchen sink. This morning, the proxy brushes and removable electric tooth brush head will get a cleaning.
I'm not sure if anyone else is worried about it, but the taste of soap...that totally comes out of the bristles right?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 08-12-2012, 18:33   #549
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I didn't shoot a single round at the Appleseed today.

Instead I am now officially an Orange Hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
What rage is that? Near ATL?
Pinetucky near Augusta.

Old 08-12-2012, 18:35   #550
Dexters

Quote:
I didn't shoot a single round at the Appleseed today.

Instead I am now officially an Orange Hat.

Pinetucky near Augusta.
Thanks - your location say NE of Atlanta so I thought it was closer to Atlanta.

Last edited by Dexters; 08-12-2012 at 18:35..
Closed Thread