Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:26   #441
DoctaGlockta

I've been spending more time with my wife and 4 young kids. Talking to them about the real world (not that which they see on TV), life and how fortunate we are to have all the things we do.

Some might not consider this a S&P item but I do.

- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31   #442
bdcochran

different response

There are over 1200 types of bamboo worldwide and identification is done according to its flower.

There is a type of bamboo that is just fine for making floors.

I have bamboo planted on my hillside by a neighbor with my permission. The type of bamboo will not spread like wildfire.

When planting trees and such, check with experts.

California had a problem with Eucalypti. There are hundreds of species. Someone read that it made excellent lumber so thousands of acres were planted in crap. The wrong type was innocently planted. The investors lost their money. The hills of Berkeley had a tremendous fire about 20 years ago when the old growth went up in flames.

In my neighborhood, there is a lot of Italian Cypress planted. When lit by an accidental flame, it is like having a Roman candle.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:09   #443
BR549
Thread Killer

Bamboo - plan and prepare carefully

If you get the wrong type and/or do not put the proper barriers in place to control it....

yes, it is VERY TENACIOUS......

BUT it will NOT stay under control without MUCH CARE...

Get the right type and put the barriers in BEFORE you plant it.

Also, research the powder post beetle before using it for any structural purposes.

Other than all the negatives, bamboo is useful for many things.
Old 07-17-2012, 21:39   #444
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
When I was making the same decision I was told no. The Comp M4 is made for the military to take to the desert or to the arctic, the PRO is made for the police/civilian market. I would have bought one except for the battery with my intended purpose being to supplement my iron sights.

Who told you this? Any source/reference? I've looked into this a bit and haven't seen anything of that nature yet.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45   #445
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Who told you this? Any source/reference? I've looked into this a bit and haven't seen anything of that nature yet.
I honestly can't remember. It's been a while but I went through all of the same things that you are doing now and that was the conclusion that I came to based on every source that I could find at the time. I liked the PRO by the way, just felt that the Comp M4 was that much better quality.

It makes good sense though since if they provided the same benifit they would cost the same amount.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 07-18-2012, 21:28   #446
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
I honestly can't remember. It's been a while but I went through all of the same things that you are doing now and that was the conclusion that I came to based on every source that I could find at the time. I liked the PRO by the way, just felt that the Comp M4 was that much better quality.

It makes good sense though since if they provided the same benifit they would cost the same amount.
I'm mostly going off of M4carbine.net. Those guys are freely critical of anything that isn't quality and doesn't perform, near as I can tell, and have nothing but good things to say about the PRO.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 07-18-2012, 22:49   #447
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
COMP M3 is probably the closes comparison and the only differences i can see, other than the included mount as any 30mm mount will work for both, is the PRO has a 30k hour life vs a 50k hour life and the PRO is also high strength aluminum vs extruded aluminum.

no sure if 2 years of battery life over 3 years already, of continuous use, is worth the extra cost, and also not sure what the actual process is of manufacturing the tubes over extrusion...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07   #448
NBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
also debating growing some bamboo. friend has some on his farm that i could easily transplant. its a very tenacious plant but with proper care, it should stay under control. he has actually used some of it to build his fences around his barn, so my secondary thought of using it as construction material as well as privacy screening should be sound. anyone here mess with it?
I grow it...have two varieties...both clumping and not running. The pics I am providing will show the two varieties....the smaller ones will top out at 15-20 feet and make a border across the back of the yard....the other is in the corner and tops out at 45-55'. All of them have been in for 2 years. Were now looking at another variety for the two corners of our patio...this giant Bamboo...also clumping get's in excess of 55'....but in short order will provide shade over our addition. The new shoot's are also a delicacy, and can be harvested to eat.

Back Right...
Survival/Preparedness Forum

Along the fence...

These are the folks we get our bamboo from...and are great to talk to.
http://www.bamboogardens.net/

This was a pic about 8 months prior...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:28   #449
coastal4974

I got my ham license. Now to upgrade to general class and find a used rig.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01   #450
Mike2

I just purchased 10 boxes of the Winchester Military 00 buckshot. I have never used this stuff before, does anyone have input on the quality??? Got 10 boxes for 4.95 per box did I get hosed???
Old 07-19-2012, 13:59   #451
GlockPistola

Ordered a bunch of food from Safecastle and been spending a lot of time at the range.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:21   #452
bdcochran

different reponse

A couple of weeks ago, I received the Spyderco sharpening system and did all the kitchen knives. I watched some videos on youtube on how to use the system.

I then ordered a two sided axe sharpening stone after watching a couple of youtube videos on how to sharpen axes. Finished the project this morning. Can use it on lopping shears as well.

I have a new chainsaw (Skihl) in the wrap. Made a couple of copies of the manual. Picked up a spare spark plug. The air filters were not in stock at the dealer. He is ordering some and I will pick one up in a couple of weeks. I am watching and rewatching the videos on how to use the same. I had asked two engineers if they could show me how to use it. They both lied and said that they were experienced and couldn't even figure out how to turn one on. I will watch the video repeatedly out of safety concerns.
Old 07-20-2012, 14:28   #453
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Acquired a generator for a great price -FREE.

Not much. Just a 2,500 Coleman power mate. My stepdad bought it for Y2K. It has like 2 hours on it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
Old 07-21-2012, 13:58   #454
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
bdcochran-
also dont forget at least one spare chain and the correct file and guide to resharpen it yourself. you can tell by the sawdust coming out when it needs to be resharpened. happens quicker than most think.
Old 07-21-2012, 14:44   #455
jdavionic
NRA Member

Well, this will be lame to many...paid for my daughter's books, dorm, and tuition for her first semester at college - all paid in cash (well, directly out of my account). She has been working to get money for other living expenses as well. My goal is to that between us both, she graduates with $0 in student loans and neither of us use any credit cards.

Lame prep to most...but it's been really challenging to save the money to make it happen. The tuition was paid over 18 yrs, since I started this prep when she was born by contributing every month into a prepaid college program for tuition.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 07-21-2012, 15:16   #456
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Well, this will be lame to many...paid for my daughter's books, dorm, and tuition for her first semester at college - all paid in cash (well, directly out of my account). She has been working to get money for other living expenses as well. My goal is to that between us both, she graduates with $0 in student loans and neither of us use any credit cards.

Lame prep to most...but it's been really challenging to save the money to make it happen. The tuition was paid over 18 yrs, since I started this prep when she was born by contributing every month into a prepaid college program for tuition.
Great going and I admire it. Have you been following all of these kids and politicians talking about absolving student loan debt? Just a thought, anything for a vote and all that.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 07-21-2012, 16:05   #457
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:

I believe, this is not a prep. This is a prep paying off.

Good for you and good for her.

I only have one word of advice, make her work for some of it. Whether it is by getting good grades or having a part time job for her fun money. I think it helps in growing good people.
Old 07-21-2012, 16:12   #458
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Relearning Linux
Relearning Spanish
Reading about workouts
Bicycling, Weight lifting, swimming
Old 07-21-2012, 18:12   #459
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I believe, this is not a prep. This is a prep paying off.

Good for you and good for her.

I only have one word of advice, make her work for some of it. Whether it is by getting good grades or having a part time job for her fun money. I think it helps in growing good people.
Thanks! We already put her to work. She got her certification for Lifeguard and has been working as a lifeguard, putting money away for college.

She was also told to get a job on campus by her second term. I basically told her that she needs to help pay or I won't pay at all.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 07-21-2012, 19:34   #460
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Thanks! We already put her to work. She got her certification for Lifeguard and has been working as a lifeguard, putting money away for college.

She was also told to get a job on campus by her second term. I basically told her that she needs to help pay or I won't pay at all.
You sound like a good parent.

Closed Thread