SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 18:51   #601
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
the ammo cans are a great way to store ammo. i keep a 30cal can for each weapon. i have 2 cans of 40, 2 9mm, 1 full of 22lr, 1 full of 5.56, and a couple full of specialty shotgun ammo, 00 buck in one, slugs in one, turkey shells in one and duck/goose loads in another. i also have a 40mm ammo can that i can store about 1k of 12ga skeet/small game loads in. i dont have one for .380 or 38/357mag yet but i also dont shoot them very much and only keep a couple hundred rounds of those on hand at any time. also need to add to my 5.56 stores.

all of it is stored in bulk, loose in the can. i reload for my 9 and 40 so those are easy to keep full
Old 08-18-2012, 15:04   #602
dissthis
Gun Fan

- 6 month dental check up and cleaning
- ordered some mags and ammo
- ordered some new boots
- have a heart scan scheduled for next Tue
-working more at 2nd job for a little extra $
Old 08-18-2012, 18:56   #603
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
the ammo cans are a great way to store ammo. i keep a 30cal can for each weapon. i have 2 cans of 40, 2 9mm, 1 full of 22lr, 1 full of 5.56, and a couple full of specialty shotgun ammo, 00 buck in one, slugs in one, turkey shells in one and duck/goose loads in another. i also have a 40mm ammo can that i can store about 1k of 12ga skeet/small game loads in. i dont have one for .380 or 38/357mag yet but i also dont shoot them very much and only keep a couple hundred rounds of those on hand at any time. also need to add to my 5.56 stores.

all of it is stored in bulk, loose in the can. i reload for my 9 and 40 so those are easy to keep full
Other than what's left of an open brick of .22lr I've never store mine loose. I know a lot of people do, but I don't.

Reason being that I like being able to grab a few boxes and head to the range, pack it in a bag, etc. Once you take it out of the box and dump it, you are pretty much committed to leaving it in the can. Sure you can grab a few hand fulls and put it in a shopping bag short term. But I'm guessing most just take the whole cans with them.

Like I said, I prefer more options and keeping it boxed gives me the most of them.

-Emt1581
Old 08-18-2012, 19:00   #604
emt1581
Curious Member

Ordered a Cold Steel Bushman which didn't cost me anything thanks to Cabela's points.

This is a decent blade that was specifically designed to allow the user to whittle a branch/pole and then secure it to the hollow handle to act as a spear. Spears may seen VERY primitive compared to a gun, but a knife does not jam or run out of bullets. Plus it has far more uses as a tool rather than just a weapon.

-Emt1581
Old 08-18-2012, 20:30   #605
Slackinoff

Enjoy the new knife Emt! I will have an arsenal refinished mosin waiting for me on Monday!

I store my ammo "loose"in the can for 9mm. It is the only caliber right now i have stored in bulk besides .22 cal. What I did was portion the 9mm out into 150 rnd ziplock bags so that they are easy to grab out of the can.

Last edited by Slackinoff; 08-18-2012 at 20:42..
Old 08-18-2012, 23:26   #606
M1A Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Other than what's left of an open brick of .22lr I've never store mine loose. I know a lot of people do, but I don't.

Reason being that I like being able to grab a few boxes and head to the range, pack it in a bag, etc. Once you take it out of the box and dump it, you are pretty much committed to leaving it in the can. Sure you can grab a few hand fulls and put it in a shopping bag short term. But I'm guessing most just take the whole cans with them.

Like I said, I prefer more options and keeping it boxed gives me the most of them.

-Emt1581
i actually find it much easier this way as i just grab the can for the guns im taking to the range. i pop open the can, shoot until im content with progress that day and then close it up and go home. i like the 30cal cans are just big enought to hold a decent amount of ammo but not so big that they are too heavy to transport.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14   #607
Stevekozak
Returning video

Been breaking in my little 900 watt generator that I picked up for 89.99 at Harbor Freight. Man, this thing just barely sips fuel! The book that came with it and the threads I saw on internet indicated that one would get about 5 hours of runtime per gallon. I have ran it a total of 14.75 hours and have still not used up the 2 gallon can of fuel I mixed!! I have been running it with an alternating load of 500-600 watts for the breakin. So far I am really impressed with the little thing for the price. Considering getting another as a backup to this backup.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04   #608
wjv

Wife took the girls (8 & 12) and two of their friend on an all girl camping trip to the coast where we keep our camper. I gave her some cheat sheets, but she had to get everything set up - water, septic, battery, fridge, hot water,and had to learn how to use the Yamaha generator. So it was a good learning experience for her.

While they were gone I redid the water supply at home, refilled the 75 gallons of aquatainers with fresh water and re-organized the cases of bottled water. Bought 1 dozen new cases (24 bottles each) and moved the older water to the top of the stack so we would use it first. We go through a case or more a month. So now I'm back up to 36 cases of water. (864 500ml bottles) and some gallon bottles. Which, if rationed is about a 100 day supply of drinking water for us.

Also drained some silt out of the bottom of the water heater. Which is something i haven't done for a year. So we now have 120 gal of bottled water for drinking; 75 gallons in aquatainers for cooking/washing/flushing and another 60 gallons in the hot water tank.

This is in addition to having 3 different high quality water filters.

I also refreshed the TP supply and some of the food supply.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
Old 08-20-2012, 21:10   #609
emt1581
Curious Member

I taught myself to do oil changes and change the brakes/rotors on our cars. I already could do pads on my bike.

I figure I'll change my dad's brake pads on his Harley just to be nice.

Next step is to order a few sets of pads/rotars and filters/oil for every vehicle.

The reason why I learned these things is because they are by FAR the most common costs to us aside from inspections, tires and the odd/random part that just goes.

As a side note, boy am I pissed at myself for not doing this sooner....pads/rotors are in the $50 range for TWO sets!!! I was paying something like $85-$100 PER wheel just for the pads! Not sure if that included labor though. Either way I'm saving a pretty penny and I'm THAT much more self-reliant.

-Emt1581
Old 08-20-2012, 21:52   #610
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I taught myself to do oil changes and change the brakes/rotors on our cars. I already could do pads on my bike.

I figure I'll change my dad's brake pads on his Harley just to be nice.

Next step is to order a few sets of pads/rotars and filters/oil for every vehicle.

The reason why I learned these things is because they are by FAR the most common costs to us aside from inspections, tires and the odd/random part that just goes.

As a side note, boy am I pissed at myself for not doing this sooner....pads/rotors are in the $50 range for TWO sets!!! I was paying something like $85-$100 PER wheel just for the pads! Not sure if that included labor though. Either way I'm saving a pretty penny and I'm THAT much more self-reliant.

-Emt1581
You hadn't changed oil/filters before? Really?

Buy a serpentine belt for each vehicle. Put the new belt on. Leave the old belt + all necessary tool(s) in the vehicle.

Other things you should consider having in vehicles: Spare fuses, duct tape, water, antifreeze, radiator/heater hose repair kits, a GOOD set of jumper cables and, if you can swing it, a good portable jump starter. Check the spare tire and air it up, if necessary.

Oil, filter, brake pads, etc, are regular maintenance items. They aren't broken down on the side of the road repairs kind of items.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 08-20-2012 at 21:53..
Old 08-22-2012, 19:16   #611
M1A Shooter

also see if someone can show you how to plug your own tire to limit trips to the shop for screws or nails. had a guy show me to do it on a construction site and didnt even really lose that much air. was easily able to drive to the local gas station and top it off.

on that note, i have also thought about adding a co2 cylinder tool to my roadside kit. they are marketed for bikes or motorcycles but use co2 cartridges for pellet guns or similar and will air up a tire with them.
Old 08-22-2012, 20:00   #612
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
also see if someone can show you how to plug your own tire to limit trips to the shop for screws or nails. had a guy show me to do it on a construction site and didnt even really lose that much air. was easily able to drive to the local gas station and top it off.

on that note, i have also thought about adding a co2 cylinder tool to my roadside kit. they are marketed for bikes or motorcycles but use co2 cartridges for pellet guns or similar and will air up a tire with them.
I actually learned to plug a tire back in high school when my dad showed me.

I also carry one of those kits you're talking about in my tail bag on my bike. It's got enough to plug a bunch of times and 3 or 4 of those CO2 cartridges. Thankfully I have yet to use it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Emt1581
Old 08-22-2012, 20:57   #613
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
I actually learned to plug a tire back in high school when my dad showed me.

I also carry one of those kits you're talking about in my tail bag on my bike. It's got enough to plug a bunch of times and 3 or 4 of those CO2 cartridges. Thankfully I have yet to use it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

-Emt1581
Yeah, I am buying one of those kits for my bike too... and probably for my car that doesn't have a spare.
Old 08-22-2012, 21:43   #614
bobby_w
Platinum Membership
Alienigena

I carry the little, Mini Slime Compressors and the plug kits on my Goldwings. I would have to carry a dozen CO2 cartridges to fill my rear tire.
Old 08-23-2012, 13:44   #615
bdcochran

reponse

1. I had delivery of the co2 kit/refills for the bicycle.

2. I am going to pick up a skil chainsaw filter today. The following is for all of you who think that spare parts are abundant now before shtf. The filter was not available locally at the chainsaw shops. It was not available on line. The factory declined to sell one and referred me back to any dealer (shades of bs). Finally, after 6 weeks, one dealer has the filter come in. I have also picked up a replacement chain, guide, file and have other chainsaw tools on order.

3. I have an electronic bug zapper in the form of a tennis racket (running on batteries) coming in that is supposed to zap mosquitoes and flies. Good luck to all the people on the forum who think that their 1. wall powered mosquito light; 2. deet; 3. pantry moth cards, and 4. citronella candles will work and last long enough when shtf (and I own all of these already!)

4. I am continuing to empty the premium gasoline cans that are stored while gas prices are still up because of a refinery fire. In about a week, I will be in a position to refill all of them. I recycle the gasoline at least once a year and avoid putting in stabilizers.
Old 09-02-2012, 19:41   #616
jarubla
Dos Pistolas

Swapped some paperback books @ the used bookstore. Nice to have some reading material around when the power goes out.

-Jay
Old 09-02-2012, 21:51   #617
M1A Shooter

hit up a sale at walgreens and got another year's worth of TP and paper towels. not too many paper towels as we are trying to use less of them all the time but some things are just easier to clean up and throw away.
Old 09-03-2012, 16:14   #618
Slackinoff

Quote:
..... not too many paper towels as we are trying to use less of them all the time but some things are just easier to clean up and throw away.
Tough habit to break, especially since I feel more sanitary using them vs towels. I added some more 9mm to the pile, and some canned soup. I wanted to buy some of those 7 gal aqua tainers but they were sold out. Saw them at REI in Austin for $35....our walmart has them for $12.99.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17   #619
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Don't buy water containers that have seems,they will leak.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:50   #620
BR549
Thread Killer

...or seams...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33   #621
Slackinoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Don't buy water containers that have seems,they will leak.'08.
You don't like seams is seems
Didn't you say that about canned goods too? I meant to ask you what you considered a seamed can...do you mean a seam running down the side or do you mean those "no can opener required" cans?

Thanks Kirgi08,
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57   #622
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackinoff View Post
You don't like seams is seems
Didn't you say that about canned goods too? I meant to ask you what you considered a seamed can...do you mean a seam running down the side or do you mean those "no can opener required" cans?

Thanks Kirgi08,
I prefer 1pc injection molded containers in all facets of preps.As ta the cans,I found out the hard way about pop top cans.I lost a bunch of food by weight of the stacks they were stored in.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 09-08-2012, 23:00   #623
Slackinoff

Just thought I would pass along a tip I discovered today while opening a bottle of wine. I was at a friends house this afternoon and we were trying to think of the best way to open a bottle of wine without a wine bottle opener. We actually didn't have a corkscrew so it was indeed a shtf kind of moment. I am sure some of you can relate . Anyway, after looking around I found some screws under his kitchen sink. We threaded the screw in and yanked the cork out with a pair of pliers.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:54   #624
quake

Bought a couple 375-gallon tanks for a rain-catchment system for a family-member's shop building. Not primarily for drinking water, but for garden use. Currently using their well water (which means running their well pump) to water their garden, and after years of talking about it with him, this summer's drought was finally enough to get him 'off the pot' so to speak.

His shop is 40x60, and I've for years suggested putting a gutter on just one side, which would give him a 20x60-ft collection/runoff area. I've helped him replace his well-pump once already, and now after drumming the "an inch of rain is 748 gallons" into his head for several years, it finally seems to have sunk in.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:51   #625
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Bought a couple 375-gallon tanks for a rain-catchment system for a family-member's shop building. Not primarily for drinking water, but for garden use. Currently using their well water (which means running their well pump) to water their garden, and after years of talking about it with him, this summer's drought was finally enough to get him 'off the pot' so to speak.

His shop is 40x60, and I've for years suggested putting a gutter on just one side, which would give him a 20x60-ft collection/runoff area. I've helped him replace his well-pump once already, and now after drumming the "an inch of rain is 748 gallons" into his head for several years, it finally seems to have sunk in.
Something I've always been curios about...can well-users have a hand pump installed as a backup?

I still need to get a collection system in place to!

-Emt1581
Closed Thread