Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 21:10   #481
quake

Bought my first kahr, a CM9. Wanted something in 9mm about as small as possible; something substantially smaller than the G26's that have been my smallest 9x19s. After a fair amount of reading & comparing specs I settled on the cm9, although there were a couple very-close contenders from other mfrs as well.

Put three boxes through it today to start function-testing it; 50 rounds each of blazer brass 115fmj, military-issue 124 fmj, and umc 115 jhp. Three malfunctions, which sounds horrible, but two were my fault and one was intentionally caused by me to see how it would react. The two 'my fault' ones were simply failures to completely seat the magazine. This gun takes a very deliberate, conscious seating, as small guns sometimes do. My fault, not the gun's.

On the one intentional one, I loaded the chamber, then removed & topped off the mag, and then intentionally nose-dived the top round downward as much as possible before re-inserting the magazine, to see if it would cause a nose-dive jam; and it did. Some guns don't like having the mag topped off & re-inserted; most times I've encountered it has been with 1911's fwiw. But on this one, it did fine with topping off of the mag except for that one time I intentionally nose-dived the rounds, trying to simulate a worst-case (probably far-fetched) situation. And it could be that once the gun's broken in, even that might not jam it up; only time will tell.

Was VERY surprised at the accuracy of the little micro-sized gun, largely due to the trigger pull. I've never used a kahr before, and the trigger is like a very-good, yet shorter-travel, revolver trigger; and I'm an unrepentant revolver guy at heart. No DA auto I've owned has had a trigger this good. First time out with it, I was getting tighter groups with this little pocket gun than with my old & familiar g26's. This thing's got me halfway considering replacing my carry glocks with carry kahr's instead.

If all kahr's are this good, I may have opened a personal pandora's box today...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-28-2012, 21:31   #482
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
If all kahr's are this good, I may have opened a personal pandora's box today...

The Kahrs that I have used have been solid performers..

Congrats!

BTW...a Kahr was a final contender in my search for a new micro-CCW...

..but I went with a Diamondback DB380EXO (EXO = lubeless nickle boron coating) instead.

Added a Crimson Trace Laser.....pictured here..

Survival/Preparedness Forum

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
Old 07-28-2012, 21:56   #483
emt1581
Curious Member

Bought 2 lower parts kits tonight.

$23 shipped from Cabelas.

...I had points, gift cards, and merchandise credits.

I'm figuring with all this talk of bans in the wake of multiple recent incidents, that the store shelves will return to 2008 levels again...so I'm building a few of my lowers up now.

-Emt1581
Old 07-28-2012, 23:12   #484
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Bought 2 lower parts kits tonight.

$23 shipped from Cabelas.

...I had points, gift cards, and merchandise credits.

I'm figuring with all this talk of bans in the wake of multiple recent incidents, that the store shelves will return to 2008 levels again...so I'm building a few of my lowers up now.

-Emt1581
Nice!

I am also building a couple of lowers..

..initially for different reasons..

..but the recent politicizing of the Aurora tragedy can be added late to the list!

Waiting on the shipping of 2 Seekins Precision stripped billet lowers.. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/inde...d=25&Itemid=48

..then will be Form 1'ing both as SBR ..

..likely will be installing Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) FCG .. http://geissele.com/supersemi-automa...-etrigger.aspx

http://geissele.com/pdfs/ssa-e-flyer.pdf

Considering PWS Enhanced Buffer Tubes..http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...ory=21#details

..either a Magpul MIAD or MOE Grip (w/ CR123 inserts)...possibly an ERGO..

..& maybe an Magpul STR http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG471/171

Last edited by LongGun1; 07-28-2012 at 23:57..
Old 07-29-2012, 06:24   #485
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
The ...a Kahr was a final contender in my search for a new micro-CCW...

..but I went with a Diamondback DB380EXO (EXO = lubeless nickle boron coating) instead...
The db9 was one of the finalists in my choice, along with the lc9 (I've been very happy with my lcp), the kimber solo, p290, keltec pf9, and even the beretta nano.

The main thing that swayed me away from the diamondback, pf9 & lc9 was simply not being confident in life-expectancy/longevity with substantial use. I don't shoot the lcp or p32 a ton, and they'll probably last a long time; but I wanted something that I was comfortable would withstand thousands of rounds put thru it. The kahr & solo were frankly my final two contenders, and the kahr won out based on being shorter, lighter, narrower; basically smaller in every dimension than most any 9mm except the db9 and the rohrbaugh.

This page has pics with dimensions, comparing a lot of "micro" 9mm guns. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...r-solo-vs.html

It's stunning to visually see how much smaller the solo is than even a j-frame snub; and the cm9 is even smaller yet, yet capacity-wise gives up only two rounds compared to the old full-size walther P38.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:20   #486
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
The db9 was one of the finalists in my choice, along with the lc9 (I've been very happy with my lcp), the kimber solo, p290, keltec pf9, and even the beretta nano.

If long-term durability was a (or the) major factor in your decision making process..

..you did right by choosing the Kahr.....IMHO

..& I believe the Kahr will do right by you!

From my research...the DB9 still has serious issues in that area..

(especially with the hotter loads )

..as did the DB380 until the more recent mods/revisions were implemented.

My criteria was basically very lightweight/compact, reliable & maintenance free as possible.
Long term durability with a high round count was low on my list...as I plan to shoot it just enough to be proficient & verify reliability.

The lubeless EXO coating was a major selling point for me..
..as I have found on my deep CCW the essential lubrication mixes with clothes fibers to form a nasty tacky gunk that is to the detriment of reliability..(unless cleaned & lubed frequently)..and the sweat produced in the Deep South in summer is real tough on lesser finishes (again...unless cleaned & lubed frequently)

Very nice comparison chart!

We need to do lunch & compare notes!

Last edited by LongGun1; 07-29-2012 at 07:28..
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44   #487
racerford

I went with the Rohrbaugh. Just change the recoil springs as directed. Actually, mine went about twice that before failure (practice, I wanted to see how long it would go to failure). It is the biggest drawback of the gun. A price for the small size.

It is not a gun you want shoot 200 rounds through at a sitting.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:55   #488
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Nice!

I am also building a couple of lowers..

..initially for different reasons..

..but the recent politicizing of the Aurora tragedy can be added late to the list!

Waiting on the shipping of 2 Seekins Precision stripped billet lowers.. http://www.seekinsprecision.com/inde...d=25&Itemid=48

..then will be Form 1'ing both as SBR ..

..likely will be installing Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) FCG .. http://geissele.com/supersemi-automa...-etrigger.aspx

http://geissele.com/pdfs/ssa-e-flyer.pdf

Considering PWS Enhanced Buffer Tubes..http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...ory=21#details

..either a Magpul MIAD or MOE Grip (w/ CR123 inserts)...possibly an ERGO..

..& maybe an Magpul STR http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG471/171
You will have VERY nice rifles when you are done! That trigger seems like pure silk!

Me? I'm just trying to build them so they shoot straight and reliably. I figure if an unfortunate situation occurs that I "need" them....I'll have them. And if they are banned, the value on them will skyrocket.... no matter which market we're talking about here (fish, produce, farmer, stock, etc. ).

I'm thinking for the third build, with this batch of stripped lowers I have, I will go the 7.5" or more likely 10.5" pistol route. I just hesitate because I know AR's can be finicky with the pistol uppers.

I could kick myself for not buying all 5 LPK's when I had the chance to cheaply late last year. I think they were either DPMS or Spikes.

Anyway, next on the list will be the uppers. Definitely 2 rifle. I'll probably get the $299 specials. Then I'll get the BCG/CH and I'll worry about the buffer/tube/spring/stock/castle nut last.

-Emt1581
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48   #489
Dexters

Quote:

..but I went with a Diamondback DB380EXO (EXO = lubeless nickle boron coating) instead.
LG1,

I'm a bit surprised at that purchase, to say the least. You are not the type to buy a 'ify' gun.

All the negative reports on the net scared me away from it. My local gun dealer even stopped selling them.

What has been your experience with it so far?

Last edited by Dexters; 07-29-2012 at 09:48..
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50   #490
Slackinoff

This week I added some Hormel "indefinite shelf life" canned goods and canned soup for short term shtf. I eat the stuff occasionally to keep the stock rotated. I also put away a few more 1/2 gal promised land milk jugs filled with water. I love that milk! the no fat tastes like 2% and the 2% tastes like whole! Not the best to choice to have 1/2 gal water storage, but these jugs are so handy since I am buying one a week.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:12   #491
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackinoff View Post
This week I added some Hormel "indefinite shelf life" canned goods and canned soup for short term shtf. I eat the stuff occasionally to keep the stock rotated. I also put away a few more 1/2 gal promised land milk jugs filled with water. I love that milk! the no fat tastes like 2% and the 2% tastes like whole! Not the best to choice to have 1/2 gal water storage, but these jugs are so handy since I am buying one a week.
Are they made of the same material as most gallon milk cartons? If so, it is only a matter of time until they leak.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:41   #492
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Buy non-seamed vessels.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 07-29-2012, 13:10   #493
Slackinoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Are they made of the same material as most gallon milk cartons? If so, it is only a matter of time until they leak.
I think the regular milk cartons are HDPE recycle symbol #2. My Promised land jugs are thick PETE recycle symbol #1. They have a big mouth screw on lid too. Edit* added picture.

Last edited by Slackinoff; 07-29-2012 at 13:35..
Old 07-29-2012, 13:19   #494
Slackinoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Buy non-seamed vessels.'08.
Good idea, I am guessing you mean cans that require a can opener right?
Old 07-29-2012, 18:50   #495
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
LG1,

I'm a bit surprised at that purchase, to say the least. You are not the type to buy a 'ify' gun.

All the negative reports on the net scared me away from it. My local gun dealer even stopped selling them.

What has been your experience with it so far?

Last year about this time I looked closely at a relative's DB380..

..really liked the lightweight/compact size & function..

..but like you stated....the feedback was far less than stellar!

The DB9 even more so....

BTW...My primary deep carry CCW at the time was a laser sighted Keltec P32.

Since then, I have been following the product updates, revisions & user feedback online..

..and also thru conversations with knowledgeable dealers and/or knowledgeable DB owners..

..until I felt it was safe to take the plunge with the DB380EXO as a reliable CCW piece.

This is not a pistol I plan to run hundreds of rounds thru every month..

..basically a light duty but reliable CCW which is lightweight & compact enough to carry during summer in short pants without a belt..

.. & without printing or sagging.

Most times...it is real easy to forget it is there!

Especially so with the very lightweight versacarry holster... http://www.versacarry.com/

So far....so good!

BTW...My philosophy on CCW is actually having one on you if & when ever needed..

..more than once I know of those whose large CCW (1911, 629, G22, etc) was back at home or in their vehicle when needed..

.. mainly due to 'inconvenient' excessive size and/or weight.

So (& IMO)...a 'mouse gun' in hand..

.. soundly trumps the 'hand cannon' 200 yards away in the locked car!

Last edited by LongGun1; 07-29-2012 at 19:13..
Old 07-29-2012, 20:29   #496
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
You will have VERY nice rifles when you are done! That trigger seems like pure silk!
Thanks!

Quote:

Anyway, next on the list will be the uppers. Definitely 2 rifle. I'll probably get the $299 specials. Then I'll get the BCG/CH and I'll worry about the buffer/tube/spring/stock/castle nut last.

Just adopted a new caliber (.300 BLK) for SBR usage..

..and an AAC 12.5" upper to go with it..(likely an PWS MK110 in the future)

..along with 1K rd of Remington 220 gr subsonics to start.

It will be hosting the AAC 762SD (far right in this pic)

The .300 BLK suppressed with subs has been touted as MP5SD quiet...

..personally I have shot both & like the tonal quality of the .300 better..

..and the .300 BLK with subs is claimed to be even quieter hosting Silencerco's pistol caliber Osprey..

One of my Osprey seen here (hosted by my new CZ75 P07 Duty Threaded) in a shooting session with relatives while on the Gulf Coast earlier this month...
(shot dry with fairly stout 145 gr JHP ...was noticeably quieter with the 147 gr subs)

My young cousin doing the testing....(holding an integral suppressed Ruger & wearing a IIIA mask)

For the 2nd SBR..

..planning an PWS MK114 to go along with one of the AAC SPR/M4....
(seen to the left & middle in the pic above)

..or alone here..(finally out of "jail" after 8 months )

If you are not familiar with the PWS piston designs...

..check out this thread...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2202139

Last edited by LongGun1; 07-29-2012 at 20:48..
Old 07-29-2012, 21:31   #497
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
LG1- youre making it harder to resist the suppressor bug.
Old 07-29-2012, 21:38   #498
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Just adopted a new caliber (.300 BLK) for SBR usage..

..and an AAC 12.5" upper to go with it..(likely an PWS MK110 in the future)

..along with 1K rd of Remington 220 gr subsonics to start.

It will be hosting the AAC 762SD (far right in this pic)

The .300 BLK suppressed with subs has been touted as MP5SD quiet...

..personally I have shot both & like the tonal quality of the .300 better..

..and the .300 BLK with subs is claimed to be even quieter hosting Silencerco's pistol caliber Osprey..

One of my Osprey seen here (hosted by my new CZ75 P07 Duty Threaded) in a shooting session with relatives while on the Gulf Coast earlier this month...
(shot dry with fairly stout 145 gr JHP ...was noticeably quieter with the 147 gr subs)

036.mp4 video by LG1 - Photobucket

My young cousin doing the testing....(holding an integral suppressed Ruger & wearing a IIIA mask)

For the 2nd SBR..

..planning an PWS MK114 to go along with one of the AAC SPR/M4....
(seen to the left & middle in the pic above)

..or alone here..(finally out of "jail" after 8 months )

If you are not familiar with the PWS piston designs...

..check out this thread...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2202139

That is some expensive equipment there LG1!!

Not to discount it but that mask... what do you think of it?

I've seen them before but never gave them much thought. Penetration or not a 9mm or .45acp to the face is going to take you out of the fight no?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Old 07-29-2012, 23:33   #499
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
LG1- youre making it harder to resist the suppressor bug.

I try!

Keep in mind....figure 8 months from the time you fill out the Form 4..

..to receiving the approved paperwork back.

Longer if not in dealer stock..(figure up to 4 months)

..even longer if not in distributor or manufacturer stock (maybe another 4 months or so).

In summation...

..if you want one in your hands a year from now..

..you may be 4 months behind already today..

..so times-a-wastin!

Lots of people are going to be behind the curve..

..if another "Hughes Amendment" were sneak by sometime in the future!

Old 07-29-2012, 23:49   #500
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
That is some expensive equipment there LG1!!
Time more so than money!

Quote:
Not to discount it but that mask... what do you think of it?

I've seen them before but never gave them much thought. Penetration or not a 9mm or .45acp to the face is going to take you out of the fight no?

Thanks

-Emt1581

I would say no...

The fairly substantial mass of the mask combined with the shock absorbing padding on the inside of the mask is going to absorb energy.

Besides...would much rather receive a solid thump than facial reconstructive surgery...or worse!

There are drawbacks to the IIIA mask..

..such as reduced situational awareness..

..but if ever in a dangerous situation where a mask is needed or required..

(i.e.....Undercover DEA Agent in an Dynamic Entry Team, etc)

..why not one that has ballistic resistant qualities!

BTW...keep in mind one of my "hats" now worn is that of Director of Research & Development of an CII Mfg..

..getting to test cool new toys are some of the tasks I am "burdened" with!

The mask has really made the rounds this summer...

..not me (with the integral Ruger)

..not me (with Shrike upper & registered lower)

..& not me (with SIG 522 SBR with Genesis Micro)

Last edited by LongGun1; 07-30-2012 at 00:51..

Closed Thread