SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 20:40   #41
sebecman

What have I done this week?

I trapped those 2 vermin that were eating their way thru some of our dried goods that I didn't have in storages totes,

Next week I will buy more totes. We've lived here for 12 years and never once have I seen a mouse. Have always been religous about sealing everything but I cleaned up on a pasta/rice sale last summer and just got lazy.

figured I'd stack it all in the basement until I got around to using it/storing it properly...

lesson learned...!!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:26   #42
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
My last patent search involved sifting thru maybe 10 CD's of patent filings..

..not fun!
Wow!

Sounds like whoever did your search didn't want to spend the time to focus the search properly. Though for certain Art Groups large numbers are the norm.

I work for a VERY large Japanese electronics manufacturer and do 150-200 pre-filing searches per year.

A typical final search will net 100-300 results which are then screened by title and abstract. The actual number of patent that need to be closely examined (reading the full spec and claims) is usually around 10% of the total as most can be eliminated by just reviewing Title and Abstract.

Your first step is to break down the invention into it's basic components. So if your invention was a device for mounting a flashlight or laser to a firearm the two components might be:

The firearm and the light/laser.

So you start with those 2 attributes and generate your first "wide net" search which will generate a couple thousand results.

(firearm* OR "fire-arm" OR "fire-arms" OR (fire ADJ arm*) OR gun* OR rifle* OR pistol* OR weapon* OR handgun* OR revolver* OR "six-shooter" OR carbine* OR *machinegun*)

99,602 Patent Records

(flashlight* OR "flash-light" OR "flash-lights" OR (flash ADJ light*) OR torch OR torches OR laser OR lasers OR ((illumin* OR light* OR incandescent OR LED) NEAR1 (bulb OR bulbs OR device OR devices OR emitt*)) )

851,716 Patent Records

After you "And" the two data sets you end up with only 5,868 patent records.

Sounds like your prior search stopped somewhere around this stage of the search. At this point you still only have a "wide net" search, so you would want to trim it down based upon the specific of your invention.

So assuming the invention was not related to bore sighting or a bore illuminating device, and it was specifically focused on mounting a light directly onto the barrel of said firearm, you could add qualifiers such as

(firearm* OR "fire-arm" OR "fire-arms" OR (fire ADJ arm*) OR gun* OR rifle* OR pistol* OR weapon* OR handgun* OR revolver* OR "six-shooter" OR carbine* OR *machinegun*)

AND
(flashlight* OR "flash-light" OR "flash-lights" OR (flash ADJ light*) OR torch OR torches OR laser OR lasers OR ((illumin* OR light* OR incandescent OR LED) NEAR1 (bulb OR bulbs OR device OR devices OR emitt*)) )

AND
((mount* OR fix* OR affix* OR attach* OR connect* OR adhere OR couple) NEAR2 (barrel* OR tube OR tubes))

NOT ((bore) NEAR2 (sight* OR site* OR light* OR illumin*))

And you now only have only 121 well focused Patent Records to review! And again, many of these could be eliminated by just reviewing Title and Abstract.

Bill

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35   #43
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
I would guess a provisional patent application would be submitted then.
Be careful with provisionals!

A GOOD provisional takes almost as much effort to write as a regular application. A poorly written provisional can bite you in the butt later as your final application can ONLY contain subject matter that was contained in the provisional. So if you change your design you might get hosed!

You may be better off filing a real application, and then doing a continuance later once you have refined the design. The same restrictions still apply, but by doing a real application, it will force you to REALLY think out the design and get the basic element and the inventive points correctly defined.

Our on-site patent attorney says that if you file a provisional to get a quick filing, it will probably be so vague it won't provide any protection. By time you write a provisional that is detailed enough to provide proper protection, you might as well just do a normal filing.

Since this is the: 2012: What have you done this week to prepare? thread. . .

I bought some long under-ware to keep in the trunk of my car during the colder months in case I ever have to hike the 18 miles from work to home!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 01-12-2012 at 12:47..
Old 01-12-2012, 14:09   #44
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
Sucessfully fired some rounds yesterday that I reloaded using the 'system' below. I don't know if this is a real S&P item but over in GTR the fellows went down the "Lowes/Zombie" reloading road for some reason.
YMMV
So the guy basically made up a Lee Loader from stuff he got at the hardware store. Looks like this would fit in with the CIA Improvised Munitions handbook pretty well.
Old 01-12-2012, 20:34   #45
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
making my final payment on credit cards tomorrow. that makes me debt free except for the house. college is getting paid for in cash for my wife and i and both of our vehicles are paid for.

planning on putting more cash in the safe for an emergency fund and then paying down the house. we are also about 3 months ahead on most of our utilities and other bills as we paid up everything before i knew i was going to start working again with the last of my savings so now that is getting replenished as well. it feels good to be working again.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04   #46
pugman

Rule #1 Cardio.

Ran my first 1500 calorie burn session yesterday on the treadmill.

105 minutes of pure h@ll

Edit: just saw someone else post this and thought I would add it. Wife lost her good paying job two weeks ago (currently working through a temp service) so she is FINALLY on board with us ditching some unnecessary expenses..pay channels on cable, data services on cell phones (which I still dont' get how people can surf for hours on a 2" screen)

Last edited by pugman; 01-23-2012 at 09:14..
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38   #47
Sgt. Rambo

Bought Trimag holder and carry pouch for .22 and 550rounds Remington, Batteries (AA), three more cases of water and some canned stuffs.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:04   #48
jdavionic
NRA Member

Somehow we managed to run up a balance on a credit card that was previously at 0 balance. It happened over the holidays. Today I just paid the remaining amount off. Back to a 0 balance.

We have 2 more cards to get paid off. I'm hoping to get the second paid off with our tax return.

It's amazing how quickly you can acquire a balance. On the one that we just paid off, I swear in a blink of an eye, we were suddenly over $1000. Now I get to smile seeing current balance at 0.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04   #49
Tom Kanik

Picked up some more .45 L/C and canned goods.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50   #50
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Somehow we managed to run up a balance on a credit card that was previously at 0 balance. It happened over the holidays. Today I just paid the remaining amount off. Back to a 0 balance.

We have 2 more cards to get paid off. I'm hoping to get the second paid off with our tax return.

It's amazing how quickly you can acquire a balance. On the one that we just paid off, I swear in a blink of an eye, we were suddenly over $1000. Now I get to smile seeing current balance at 0.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I never carry a credit card balance and I understand being debt free, but I also understand that I need to balance it out with not spending cash upfront if I am getting a good financing deal so that I can spread out the costs over time.

For example, I am currently in the process of replacing an old car which is going through its death throes with a newer (but still used) truck which has less than 1/2 the mileage and is infinitely more useful in an emergency situation, being a full sized truck, all the while spreading out the costs to less than $170/month over 4 years with zero cash out of pocket at 2.9%.

Then when the old jalopie gets sold, whatever I get, I will just leave it in the bank and let it pay for the $170 per month until it runs out so I am really not experiencing anything out of pocket at least for the duration. I could have paid for the truck outright with cash and be done with it, but why?

Say what you will about the American dollar being worthless or on the verge of collapse, but for now, if I can minimize immediate outlays in exchange for something of use, I will still prefer to have cash in the bank.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17   #51
Dirk Pitt

Rotated all my fuel (gasoline) stock. It became an expensive day as the gas cans I had -plastic ones the caps had cracked and the fuel was evaporating. I had to buy new ones also plastic but much better design and thicker plastic. I live in Ca. so my gas can choices are limited. Thanks CARB! I had to get rid of 4 cans as no longer serviceable and purchased 7 and then had to fill those. The old gas went into my truck, but paying for 35 gallons of new gas hurt a bit. But with what is going on over in the middle east I like knowing I have some spare fuel. And yes I treated it all with STABIL.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25   #52
bdcochran

Yep, I live in CA. Not much choice in gasoline containers. I fill with high octane. I keep track in the computer when the gasoline is rotated. Every 9 Keep track in the computer. High octane. No stabilizers used. Go early, early am as other drivers/smokers are quite dangerous when you have to refill some containers and carry them in your car.

Now, I belong to Costco and it opens at 6 am. Will now be cheaper and quicker.
Old 01-25-2012, 23:57   #53
thejellster05

Send a message via Yahoo to thejellster05
Organized ammo storage with fresh labels on the ammo cans. Traded my Rock Island 1911 which while I liked it, it didn't have a real philosophy of use for my preps. I traded for a Ruger SR22 which is my first .22 handgun which means I can shoot cheaper and more importantly teach my kids with in the future.
Now I just gotta stock up on 22!

The gun I traded is in my avatar btw

Last edited by thejellster05; 01-25-2012 at 23:58.. Reason: pic
Old 01-26-2012, 00:35   #54
Carry16

Unless it's illegal to own these in California, I would consider ordering these - they are the best cans for the money today IMHO. I use a jiggle siphon to transfer the fuel from them to my vehicle or other containers when I need it. I'll never own another CARP (deliberate mispell) plastic piece of garbage again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270803366465...84.m1423.l2649
Old 01-26-2012, 06:08   #55
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry16 View Post
Unless it's illegal to own these in California, I would consider ordering these - they are the best cans for the money today IMHO. I use a jiggle siphon to transfer the fuel from them to my vehicle or other containers when I need it. I'll never own another CARP (deliberate mispell) plastic piece of garbage again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270803366465...84.m1423.l2649
I never heard of a jiggle siphon until your post. I just remember being a kid and having to "enjoy" the taste of gas. Thanks...I just purchased a couple of them. Should make fuel transfer much less aggravating.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 01-26-2012, 15:43   #56
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
another idea ive seen for fuel transfer is to use an electric inline fuel pump and wire the leads to battery clips. couple lengths of rubber fuel line for inlet and outlet and you can get decent flow.

also works out as a possible spare part for your BOV if you get one that will work for it as well.

Last edited by M1A Shooter; 01-26-2012 at 15:44..
Old 01-26-2012, 16:18   #57
quake

Spent the last few weeks stumbling around noob-like in the molle world, piecing my revised ghb pack together on the new platform. Learned a lot and coming to actually like molle after years of avoiding it, but it's taken a while to find pieces that are "really" what I want, rather than what's most-often encountered.

Actually have found three different carriers that work well for 15-round M1 carbine magazines, which was a happy ending to the most time-intensive aspect of the search. Two of them were originally intended for other purposes, and one specifically made for them.

Also tried & tested a new small integral solar charger & battery pack, with disappointing results.

Other than that, just more of the same.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-26-2012, 18:45   #58
emt1581
Curious Member

Finalized my order for a Busse Boss Jack, bought a Sharpmaker, bought a MICH Helmet, and now I'm shopping for medical supplies on tacmedsolutions.com

-Emt1581
Old 01-26-2012, 18:55   #59
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Finalized my order for a Busse Boss Jack, bought a Sharpmaker, bought a MICH Helmet, and now I'm shopping for medical supplies on tacmedsolutions.com

-Emt1581
I don't have any MICH helmets... but I have 2 PASGT's painted black to be stealthy and tactical when the world ends. Hate to have the zombies see my shiny head of hair and come get me when I can hide it under a helmet, right?
Old 01-26-2012, 19:13   #60
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I don't have any MICH helmets... but I have 2 PASGT's painted black to be stealthy and tactical when the world ends. Hate to have the zombies see my shiny head of hair and come get me when I can hide it under a helmet, right?
I initially was going to go PASGT but I heard they were less comfy, unbalanced, and the visor got in the way. SUPER cheap though and just as good protection-wise.

-Emt1581

Closed Thread