Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2011, 16:35   #1
thinktwice

Brass Hitting Shooter?

As some of you know I had a little problem with my Springfield Micro Compact feeding rounds normally, and brass hitting me in the face. Well I removed the extractor after checking it which it seemed to be a little too tight. So I tuned the extractor just a little so it would not be as tight. The pistol functions as it should now with zero malfunctions after 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 230 gr FMJ. However the brass is still hitting me in the head/face. Can anyone tell me what is causing this problem? Do I need to loosen or tighten the extractor or is it something else? On a side note when my son shoots it he is not hit with brass, which leads me to believe it could be something I am doing. If so I don't know what it could be, because I shoot it the same as my other 1911's
Old 12-30-2011, 17:57   #2
Rinspeed
JAFO

As a general rule it's not so much the tension of the extractor but the profile, and if it's not that it might be the length and/or the profile of the ejector.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 19:36   #3
knedrgr

I would also like to add these other areas to check for:
1) ejector profile. You can change the profile w/ a slight bevel to help angle the case's ejection patch.
2) loose or poorly fitting firing pin stop on the slide. This will cause the extractor to clock inside the slide, thus causing erratic hold on the empty case.
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 22:11   #4
thinktwice

Both of you guys have very good points for me to check, as I really do think the extractor is pretty much tuned right. I had thought about the ejector, but really don't what to look for. Also I failed to check my firing pin stop completely, didn't even think of that. I am sure I can work it out if I keep getting good advise from you guys. I did notice one thing tonight, but don't see how it could be relevant to my problem, I noticed the grips on both sides were pretty loose. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by thinktwice; 12-30-2011 at 22:17.. Reason: additional info.
thinktwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:52   #5
knedrgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktwice View Post
Both of you guys have very good points for me to check, as I really do think the extractor is pretty much tuned right. I had thought about the ejector, but really don't what to look for. Also I failed to check my firing pin stop completely, didn't even think of that. I am sure I can work it out if I keep getting good advise from you guys. I did notice one thing tonight, but don't see how it could be relevant to my problem, I noticed the grips on both sides were pretty loose. Thanks a lot.
Here's a picture for reference.
Add a 35-45 degree bevel on the side of the ejector that's on the ejection port. This will help to roll the empty case sideway, as it leaves the ejection port.

1911 Forums
COTEFT #2

Last edited by knedrgr; 12-31-2011 at 03:53..
Old 12-31-2011, 06:00   #6
limbkiller

See if the gun is twisting a little in your hand. Hurt my hand once and when I shot it twisted just enough to cause the brass to hit me sometimes. Worth a try since the brass doesn't hit your son.
limbkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06   #7
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

My Regent in GI configuration was throwing the brass right back at my head. I tried tuning the extractor but it didn't help. Replaced the GI ejector with an extended type and it was GTG.

TOS seems to be saying the same thing. 1911 Forums

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 12-31-2011 at 12:09..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 23:05   #8
thinktwice

Thanks for all the help guys. I beveled the ejector just a bit, and now no more brass to the face, and the pistol functions perfect. Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:34   #9
knedrgr

Sweet! Glad it worked out.
COTEFT #2