Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:50   #1
DISCO SON

Retired LEO's

As an active duty officer I've always carried off duty with a knife and cuffs. I will be retiring this summer and just wondering what the rest of you carry now that you're retired such as weapon, knife, cuffs, extra mag?

Not sure if I'm going to like retirement, looking forward to traveling, hobby's and just relaxing always worked side jobs! But I know I will miss the guy's I worked with!

Thanks in advance,

Disco Son
DISCO SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:29   #2
SpoiledBySig

I retired in August 2004. I seem to remember carrying my duty weapon (Sig P-226 9mm) in my car and under my jacket during cooler weather. I carried a S&W .38 Airweight snubbie in my ankle holster.

I sure hope your retirement works out for you. I thought for many years of how I would love to be retired and when I finally retired, I became very bored. So now I'm working on a 2nd pension. I think I was just too young (45) when I first retired. Perhaps when I'm 55 my attitude will change.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:35   #3
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

I retired in 1999 but stayed on in a non law enforcement position for two more years taking full retirement in 2001. It was the best thing I ever did and I'm sure you will enjoy retirement as much as I do. My carry weapon is a Kel Tec PF9 but sometimes I'll switch off with an S&W, J frame (638) with a 2 1/2 in bl.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40   #4
PawDog
NRA Member

I retired 07/2009, and never carry anything other than my carry pistol, (either my 6906, Colt Compact, KT380, or SP101), a Gerber pocket knife, and my retirement creds. I have no need or desire to ever use cuffs again, but they remain in my closet if needed.

I did go back to work after six months, doing part-time contract BI's for the feds, just to stay active and earn some 'play money.'
PawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:27   #5
L-1

I've been retired for six years now. I live in Southern California where being armed is probably a wise move. I used to carry my 2" Chief's Special until we changed qualification drills and I came to realize that trying to quickly reload after five shots in a real life situation is just no good. I now carry a Baby Glock.
L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:32   #6
ron8903

I retired in 2009,
I carry a j-frame .38 spc.
ron8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:47   #7
blueiron

Retire for cause - because you have to, because you want to, because you are fed up with the admin/agency/BS/etc. AND because you can financially do it. If you have doubts, don't. I know too many folks who retired and didn't plan for the cost of health insurance, didn't pay off credit cards, can't stop the wife or themselves from buying non-essentials.

I retired back in '07 and have enjoyed getting away from all the nonsense. I don't carry firearms [most of the time], credentials, or anything more than a pocket knife. My university doesn't allow guns on campus and I spend most of my time there, so I don't carry. I never carry a retirement card unless I am armed.

Credentials are for the cops - after one retires in my State, one no longer has powers of arrest or color of authority, so if I elect to carry a firearm - it is on my CCW permit / Constitutional carry in State or I'll bring my retired card when I travel out of State. A retired badge makes about as much sense as a CWP badge - it has zero authority behind it and is little more than a challenge coin. Under these conditions, handcuffs are pointless as well.

Some guys love retirement and some regret it. Retire for the right reasons and be happy with the decision.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:21   #8
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Retired guys can carry a lot more gear....just put it all in your basket.

Cop Talk

Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:15   #9
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky7 View Post
Retired guys can carry a lot more gear....just put it all in your basket.

Cop Talk

Keep it up and I'll buy a Hoveround on your tax dollars. It's free to me!

Last edited by blueiron; 01-02-2012 at 16:16..
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 19:06   #10
ChiefWPD

I retired after 41 years (two depts). Remember, you are retired! The gun is to protect your life or the life of someone near and dear to you.

OK, end lecture mode; I carry either a S&W 342 (ultra lightweight J frame .38), Ruger LCR or, more recently, a Ruger LCP (little .380). Don't even carry reloads where I can get to them readily.

Call me names, but when you are out of the game then you look to avoid problems not run in their direction.
Old 01-02-2012, 19:45   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

Jframe is perfect after retirement.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:35   #12
Patchman
Florist

As I get a older and older, I'm starting to suspect that a daily carry of my G19 would become a little cumbersome by the time I hit 68 or 70.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 22:43   #13
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Well, working for the feds in LE I am forced into retirement at age 57, unless they raise the age; which they have been talking about for some time now.

My plans are to carry a pistol that fits my life style. If I am living in Kansas at the time I will probably attempt qualifications on both types of firearms each year, (I like shooting). I do have a CCL, but the LEOSA is for going places where the CCL will not, unless they redo laws on that in the future.

If I am out in the country for a long length of time around here carrying a large calibre weapon is almost a necessity, but now I carry for urban areas, in that is where I am normally at; with nearby country primarily having the tamer animals, (deer, fox, coyotes, all the smaller stuff). I did see a cougar once, so I don't kno about 9mm for that one, LOL.

Also, in early retirement I will probably do some contract security or something that requires a side arm, so carrying will still be part of my on the job life. Or, maybe go back to work for Missouri, if it is the right thing to do.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 00:11   #14
mikegun

Ret several yrs from Cali SO, i always seem to return to carrying my Glock 23, no mags, no cuffs....i tried carrying my bu smith 38, but as crime gets worse, i feel the more slugs in the gun the better. no matter the weight.
Old 01-03-2012, 00:34   #15
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

Been toting either my LC9 or my 27. Recently the LC9 has become "always" gun after issues with the back and carry position.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:00   #16
Chuck54

Kahr PM9 ............ almost always. It is to protect my wife and myself. I have finally got used to using situational awareness skills to avoid potential problems instead of investigating them. I'm now just a witness. I can call 911
Chuck54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19   #17
Denied
NRA Member

Kahr PM9 100% of the time, retired in 1997 and have downgraded carry weapon several time trying to lighten the load, next may be a pocket of rocks .
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21   #18
federali

"J" Frames

I'm retired 16 years. For those of you who think you are served with a J frame, google up "Sgt. James O'Sullivan + Radio Shack + Manhattan + robbery."

In Brief: a retiree, takes on armed robber with 5 shot revolver, apparently does not realize he's up against a three-four person team rather than a single robber, fires all his rounds, all misses, then is executed.

If you want small and convenient, go to the Kahr Arms P-9. Easier to carry than a J frame wheel gun and carrying three more rounds. Easier to reload with magazines than with individual rounds into a cylinder.

Once retired, besides no longer having color of authority, you are also governed by CCW laws applicable to private citizens in most instances. That means no guns in federal buildings and in establishments that advertise "no guns" in CCW states.

Once in plainclothes, retired or not, you run a great risk of being mistaken for a perp should you have to draw. (See the current John Capano thread).
Think twice before acting. Never draw in presence of responding uniformed officers.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true: Abraham Lincoln
federali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34   #19
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck54 View Post
Kahr PM9 ............ almost always. It is to protect my wife and myself. I have finally got used to using situational awareness skills to avoid potential problems instead of investigating them. I'm now just a witness. I can call 911

Same here . . . although I carry a Kel Tec PF9 and sometimes a G26. However, I carry to protect me and mine. Otherwise, observe and report but only when and if safe to do so.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:17   #20
jhooten
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali View Post

In Brief: a retiree, takes on armed robber with 5 shot revolver, apparently does not realize he's up against a three-four person team rather than a single robber, fires all his rounds, all misses, then is executed.
There is a lot of fail in that summary. I am retired as in no longer on active duty, a PFC. This is what the cell phone is for. The J-frame is for a last resort for a direct threat to me, not to go responding to incidents. Call it in, be a good witness as needed, but let the young guys do their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali View Post
If you want small and convenient, go to the Kahr Arms P-9. Easier to carry than a J frame wheel gun and carrying three more rounds. Easier to reload with magazines than with individual rounds into a cylinder.
I have a small 9 and would carry it if I wanted too. I trust my J.
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote