Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2012, 22:17   #1
stevenm2

New guy...new gun... g20 sf

Hello I am new here and thought I should find the 10mm guys and check in.
Right before Christmas I traded off my beretta 92 and went to a Glock 20 sf. It is not here yet but the gun is paid for. 100% deposit I guess.
I reload with a dillon 550 I also Have single stage set up.
I have also ordered 500 rounds of Starline brass and 500 nosler 180 gr. hp, 3 extra mags, holster,mag carrier, 20# recoil spring, trigger parts and a partridge in a pear tree.
I carry ccw but the main purpose of the g-20 is for a hunting back-up gun.
If I find the right holster and get a load I like I may carry it as well.
My dealer is an old friend and I trust him but the wait is killin me. It should get here soon.I am chomping at the bit.

I intend on putting a fiber optic front and adj. rear sights. Any Suggestions on sights?
I have a glock tactical light (from a previously owned G22) Comes in Handy when packing meat at night (or any other less pleasant nightime outdoor activity)
so I don't think I am in real need of night sites... thoughts?

Anybody got a 180 nosler load at 1275-1300 fps they would be willing to share?

I walk my dogs daily and we run into Nutria regularly... I am anxious to see how they react to the 10mm vs. the ones I have shot with a 9mm and .40 s&w.
I am sold on the versatility of this round and look forward to learning more about it.
Thanks
stevenm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:46   #2
arushus
Biggest Member

Congrats! Sounds like you got it pretty well figured out! Check out the 10mm reloading forum for load data. There is data for loads from every powder that is used for the 10mm. Lots of good guys willing to share recipes and answer questions also.

I know 9.5 gr of longshot or 11.0gr of bluedot will get that 180gr moving close to 1300! But those are Lee max book loads, so dont start there, it is hot and I dont personally reload, yet. Just done a ton of research into it!

Oh and the OAL is 1.26" and 1.25" respectiveiy.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!

Last edited by arushus; 01-02-2012 at 23:50..
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:57   #3
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Howdy and Welcome
For load data go to the reloading forum and check out load data at the web site for the powder you are using.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08   #4
Beanie-Bean

Congrats, and welcome, stevenm2!

Looks like you've already done your homework there. I've got the same reloading setup you do (RL550B, and a single-stage.)

I've got some XS Big Dot sights on my G20SF--I'm not trying to hit anything 230 yds away with it. I like how fast the front sight picks up, too.

I'll let you know what I come up with for some 180 loads. I just received my box of 500 Hornady HAP bullets from Midway, and am eager to get those loads developed and going. I'll probably use mainly Longshot and Blue Dot, but will also try to work up some Power Pistol loads, too, as I'm wanting to do some other calibers as well.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27   #5
JimIsland

Congrats on the G20!! As for sights, I installed XS Big Dot sights on my G20 about 3 weeks ago. let me preface this by saying I'm not a great shot by any means. However, yesterday at my buddies farm I was able to hit 9 out of 10 shots on the "splatter stickers" @ 25 yards. That's a loooong ways for me! All I really did was lay that Big Dot center mass and squeezed. Very quick aquisition and great for older eyes

My son has TFO's on his G30 and likes them a lot as well.
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35   #6
arushus
Biggest Member

They arent fiber optic or adjustable, but I have the XS big dots on my G20sf as well, and I recommend them to everyone. Other sights that are similar to the two-dot, dot-the-i type night sights that Im interested in trying, and several other people here recommend also, are the heinie straight eights and ameriglo i-dot pro's.
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06   #7
stevenm2

Thanks for the welcome and the tips on sights. I do need the big dot for old eyes.
I will look into them.
Bean Keep me posted on Your successes and lessons learned on you 180 haps project and I will do the same with the Noslers.
Thanks again fellas.
Old 01-03-2012, 14:55   #8
JimIsland

Give them a try, I think you'll really like them. I know my 46 year old eyes love em!!
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:25   #9
alwaysshootin

Hey Steve, welcome, and congrats, on picking the greatest firearm, and caliber, since sliced bread!

Just want to throw a couple things I've discovered in my adventures with 10MM, and sights for Glocks.

The XS Big Dot is a fabulous choice for any carry weapon. Acquisition, is second to none. That being said, because of the front sights bulbous size, does not make it ideal for fine target shooting. The front sight covers a 12" target @ 25 yards. Something you may want to consider it target shooting, or hunting with your 20 is in the future.

When I built my longslide, for hunting, I also wanted the fiber optic, adjustable sights. Back then, not sure where I read it, and cannot confirm, but read somewhere, that the fiber optic, was less than stellar, in the durable department, with high recoiling firearms. Because of that alone, I chose to go with adjustable target sight. Wish I wouldn't have been so cheap, and just spent the extra money on adjustable night sights, but I don't hunt at night.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your 20, as most of us do. Also, is it only me, that thinks, 10MM popularity, is on the rise? Seems like everyday, 2 or 3 new people join the 10MM band wagon!
Old 01-03-2012, 20:23   #10
bac1023

and congrats

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:54   #11
MightyTygart

I am about to order a set of Fiber-optic sights from dawson precision. Take a look at them. Have fun and be safe.
MightyTygart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:26   #12
stevenm2

I have an STI Spartan 9mm with a Dawson Precision fiber optics sight on the front.
I love the sight. Thanks for the tip I will look into it.
Old 01-05-2012, 23:01   #13
stevenm2

Well I got the call the gun has arrived. My buddy called from the gun store.
" I am here... fondling your new 10... Damnnnn!"
I told him if he rubbed it too much it may go off in his hand... he understood.
I have to wait until tomorrow.
Meanwhile the boxes from Midway and Natchez have arrived with brass and bullets. I will be making noise by Sunday for sure.
It should be a fun weekend.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:52   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm2 View Post
Hello I am new here and thought I should find the 10mm guys and check in.
Right before Christmas I traded off my beretta 92 and went to a Glock 20 sf. It is not here yet but the gun is paid for. 100% deposit I guess.
I reload with a dillon 550 I also Have single stage set up.
I have also ordered 500 rounds of Starline brass and 500 nosler 180 gr. hp, 3 extra mags, holster,mag carrier, 20# recoil spring, trigger parts and a partridge in a pear tree.
I carry ccw but the main purpose of the g-20 is for a hunting back-up gun.
If I find the right holster and get a load I like I may carry it as well.
My dealer is an old friend and I trust him but the wait is killin me. It should get here soon.I am chomping at the bit.

I intend on putting a fiber optic front and adj. rear sights. Any Suggestions on sights?
I have a glock tactical light (from a previously owned G22) Comes in Handy when packing meat at night (or any other less pleasant nightime outdoor activity)
so I don't think I am in real need of night sites... thoughts?

Anybody got a 180 nosler load at 1275-1300 fps they would be willing to share?

I walk my dogs daily and we run into Nutria regularly... I am anxious to see how they react to the 10mm vs. the ones I have shot with a 9mm and .40 s&w.
I am sold on the versatility of this round and look forward to learning more about it.
Thanks
Nice, buddy! Good choice!! (on ALL of the items)

My suggestion, if you want adjustable rear and FO front, would be Dawson Precision....no doubt about it.

Let us know how that puppy shoots this weekend! I'll be in my stand bowhunting.... (Glock 20SF in my shoulder holster to keep me company)

As far as loads, I'd start at the 10mm Reloading Forum here on GT. There are many ways to get a 180gr bullet running at 1250-1300fps... not too hard with the 10, although its a nice hot load. All of these are over book max, IIRC. Use at your own risk and do your own workups. I'd honestly say that Longshot would be your best bet on getting your 180's to 1300 (or close) with 180's. Here are a few loads I've actually chrono'd with a few other powders.

9.0gr 800X makes 1294fps (avg) from a 6" Fusion
10.0gr 800X makes 1380fps (avg) from a 6" Fusion
8.8gr Power Pistol makes 1275fps (avg) from a 6" Fusion

I also recommend Accurate #7, Accurate #9, and Blue Dot.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/index.html
Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 00:36   #15
stevenm2

Thanks for the tips on loads. I am going to start with blue dot.
I was able to shoot the gun this evening when I picked it up. I ran 60 rounds through it half way through changing the recoil spring to the 20# wolff and stainless guide rod. I will need to do some trigger work to get it where I want it but it is no so bad as is. I ran only 2 rounds outside of the man sized target at 25 yards . Honestly I was shooting fast and really not paying that much attention to the target but rather evaluating the trigger on the gun. It shoots great as is but I will get the trigger working the way I like.
I had them install a hi-viz fiber optic front for now until I can get to Dawson Precision to get the right stuff.
So far I love it and as a bonus I have enough holsters (left over from my G22) that will work with a little stretching.
Loading starts tomorrow and Hopefully I can cap a Nutria in the morning. I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again for the kind welcome and load tips.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:43   #16
4949shooter

The 20SF is a great gun. Congrats!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48   #17
blastfact

Enjoy your 10mm journey.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote