Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2012, 22:52   #21
carbuncle
is not cool.

I just finished the actual review, well done, Deadduck357. Great detail pics, that really helped answer some questions for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 22:56   #22
LawScholar

The Ruger "copycat!" folks are always good for a laugh. In almost all cases, Ruger improves the other design. The LCP and LC9 are much better-finished and better-functioning guns than the Kel-Tec versions in my opinion.

You know that there are only a certain number of plots in the entirety of literature, right? Depending on the scholastic theory you follow, it's usually between 7 and 20 plots. Everything for the last thousand years has essentially been a derivation of one of those same plots.

Guns are similar. It's a tool that shoots fast pieces of metal. There are only so many crazy new innovations that can happen. Gonna hate on every non-Colt company making a 1911?

I, for one, am interested. I always was interested in the P22, but the cheap slide and less-than-ideal functioning turned me off.

Last edited by LawScholar; 01-03-2012 at 22:57..
LawScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:07   #23
Deadduck357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
Do you need at least 3 hands to break it down?
Not at all, very easy to disassemble. Much easier than the P22.
Deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:13   #24
Deadduck357

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post

I, for one, am interested. I always was interested in the P22, but the cheap slide and less-than-ideal functioning turned me off.
Then your gonna like this pistol. The aluminum slide give it a solid feel. So far I have just run a little over a hundred through it without any malfunctions, so far so good.
Old 01-03-2012, 23:22   #25
carbuncle
is not cool.

Quote:

Bingo!
Old 01-04-2012, 00:13   #26
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
It looks like a Taurus.
That's because of the roll marks!
Old 01-04-2012, 00:23   #27
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadduck357 View Post
Then your gonna like this pistol. The aluminum slide give it a solid feel. So far I have just run a little over a hundred through it without any malfunctions, so far so good.
Even Ruger's most diehard critics will usually begrudgingly admit that they produce tough weapons. Not a lot of problems with long-term durability. I'm very interested in this gun! Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2012, 00:55   #28
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
The Ruger "copycat!" folks are always good for a laugh. In almost all cases, Ruger improves the other design. The LCP and LC9 are much better-finished and better-functioning guns than the Kel-Tec versions in my opinion.

You know that there are only a certain number of plots in the entirety of literature, right? Depending on the scholastic theory you follow, it's usually between 7 and 20 plots. Everything for the last thousand years has essentially been a derivation of one of those same plots.

Guns are similar. It's a tool that shoots fast pieces of metal. There are only so many crazy new innovations that can happen. Gonna hate on every non-Colt company making a 1911?

Guns will have similar features and many of the parts will function similarly to other parts in other guns but Ruger is making pistols that are either straight up look a likes with enough slight changes to be a little different and/or are so similar that the parts can interchange with the original. Nobody is asking for some crazy new innovation, just a little originality.

When it comes to the 1911, all of the models from various companies can have the same aftermarket parts installed. All of the manufactures also call their version, a 1911. Nobody is claiming THEIR 1911 was made from scratch with no outside influence. Like I said, I like the many Ruger products I own but even after taking apart my P3AT and my Dad's LCP, seeing all the copy cat design and even having my P3AT magazines feed rounds into the LCP, I let it go and waited for some Ruger innovation. Now I see this and wonder if they're just looking at top selling guns from other manufactures and thinking of a way they can get in on the action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 01-04-2012 at 01:07..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49   #29
CMG

Not unlike when S&W copied Ruger's LCR?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:54   #30
Chonny

Im completely interested in this pistol. I like change. If it sucks Ill punt it.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05   #31
dreis454

Looks like a freakin' LORCIN.
Colt stainless Commander XSE w/VZ grips
S&W M&P Shield 9mm carry
Lee Enfield mkIV no2 .303 British/Remy 870
dreis454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05   #32
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post
Not unlike when S&W copied Ruger's LCR?
The Bodyguard still looks like a S&W though. Their Governor is a blatant Taurus rip-off and you can tell they did it because S&W fans would be more inclined to check one out, just like Ruger fans would be more inclined to check out the LCP/9 over Kel-Tec's offerings. My Dad had no interest in my P3AT and bought the Ruger because he's always liked their firearms. When I showed him the internals, he was surprised at how identical they are but still liked the badge of Ruger on his LCP. People have always associated Ruger with strong,overbuilt firearms but that era has passed (as far as new designs go, especially the semi-autos) yet people will still think that if it says Ruger, it must be "built like a tank."

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 01-04-2012 at 08:15..
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15   #33
40 0'Glock

I'll stick with this Ruger .22.

General Firearms Forum
40 0'Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 18:14   #34
Deadduck357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonny View Post
Im completely interested in this pistol. I like change. If it sucks Ill punt it.
Doubt you will. I wasn't really interested in a little duty type .22 but after handling and shooting it I'm gonna keep it.
Old 01-04-2012, 18:25   #35
Deadduck357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
The Bodyguard still looks like a S&W though. Their Governor is a blatant Taurus rip-off and you can tell they did it because S&W fans would be more inclined to check one out, just like Ruger fans would be more inclined to check out the LCP/9 over Kel-Tec's offerings. My Dad had no interest in my P3AT and bought the Ruger because he's always liked their firearms. When I showed him the internals, he was surprised at how identical they are but still liked the badge of Ruger on his LCP. People have always associated Ruger with strong,overbuilt firearms but that era has passed (as far as new designs go, especially the semi-autos) yet people will still think that if it says Ruger, it must be "built like a tank."
Most of Ruger's firearms are over-built. As far as Ruger vs Others or S&W vs others, before the LCP the kel-tec was not popular and the LCP blew the market open for little pocket 380's. I for one don't like firearms with a lot of bolts. The Judge was pretty much the only firearm of its type and was selling good and if another company wants a piece of the pie then so be it. Competition and options are good for the industry and good for us.
Old 01-04-2012, 19:23   #36
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadduck357 View Post
Most of Ruger's firearms are over-built. As far as Ruger vs Others or S&W vs others, before the LCP the kel-tec was not popular and the LCP blew the market open for little pocket 380's. I for one don't like firearms with a lot of bolts. The Judge was pretty much the only firearm of its type and was selling good and if another company wants a piece of the pie then so be it. Competition and options are good for the industry and good for us.
Understood. The original P3AT had an extractor set up just like the LCP, just a tad longer. The one and only bolt on the P3AT and PF9 holds the extractor down and acts as a firing pin stop.

Yes, the LCP did start a pocket pistol phenomenom but if you looked inside and out at a P3AT and LCP side by side, there is little to no difference. The LCP is basically a P3AT with a more refined, smooth grip.

Cometition is always a good thing but why can't they go along the lines of other companies and come up with something that has an original look and makes you think of the company when you look at it? First second I saw the SR22 I thought of Walther, not Ruger.

Companies like Sig made the P238 which is basically a Colt Mustang. Colt however stopped making the Mustang and allowed Sig to produce their own version. The Walther P22, P3AT and PF9 are still in production so it's not like they're picking up the slack of a well liked firearm.

Any company can make what they want, but I see a pattern with certain companies. All of this is observation and I'm sure the SR22 will sell well with Ruger stamped on the side.

We'll see what "new" models come up this year at SHOT.

Old 01-04-2012, 19:49   #37
dhoomonyou

not for me

I had two P22's POS's

THEY spent more time back at SW service than with me at the range.

AFTER the third trip back for each I was told that they would no longer be serviced under warranty.

Sold at a LOSS

live and learn.
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 23:55   #38
Deadduck357

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoomonyou View Post
not for me

I had two P22's POS's

THEY spent more time back at SW service than with me at the range.

AFTER the third trip back for each I was told that they would no longer be serviced under warranty.

Sold at a LOSS

live and learn.
I can assure you this SR22P is no P22
Old 01-05-2012, 18:34   #39
Deadduck357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Understood. The original P3AT had an extractor set up just like the LCP, just a tad longer. The one and only bolt on the P3AT and PF9 holds the extractor down and acts as a firing pin stop.

Yes, the LCP did start a pocket pistol phenomenom but if you looked inside and out at a P3AT and LCP side by side, there is little to no difference. The LCP is basically a P3AT with a more refined, smooth grip.

Cometition is always a good thing but why can't they go along the lines of other companies and come up with something that has an original look and makes you think of the company when you look at it? First second I saw the SR22 I thought of Walther, not Ruger.

Companies like Sig made the P238 which is basically a Colt Mustang. Colt however stopped making the Mustang and allowed Sig to produce their own version. The Walther P22, P3AT and PF9 are still in production so it's not like they're picking up the slack of a well liked firearm.

Any company can make what they want, but I see a pattern with certain companies. All of this is observation and I'm sure the SR22 will sell well with Ruger stamped on the side.

We'll see what "new" models come up this year at SHOT.
I agree. I have have nothing against Kel-Tec and would like to test their PMR-30 and KSG. Those were the models that make me a little leery, because of all the bolts used.
Old 01-05-2012, 19:42   #40
Grabbrass

Thanks for the review. I've got a MkIII Hunter w/ a Millet SP1 mounted and a few VQ bits here and there. out of my small collection it's the gun I enjoy (and can afford) shooting the most, but I've been hoping that someone would come along with a rimfire "service pistol simulator" that wasn't built like a Lorcin. I'm almost certainly going to buy one of these this year, though I'd like it even more if they offered a DAO model with about a 5lb pull. Ruger's actually pretty good about meeting customer demand, so resident Ruger mole if you're reading this ...
Grabbrass is offline   Reply With Quote