Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2012, 22:55   #1
GOOFA

Dan Wesson Valor 2009 used

I have a chance of picking up this used DW Valor, it seems to be in excellent condition. What would be a fair price for me to buy? Cabela's wanted $1199 for it, then $1080 for the employees sale. I'm thinking more like $900 because it is an 2009 and that particular model had a questionable finish. It come with case, papers, 2 mags and envelope with spent casing. What do you think?

1911 Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GOOFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:38   #2
GVFlyer

Questionable finish?. Here's my 2009 Valor after over 2,000 rounds of hard use.

1911 Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:46   #3
fistpoint

Since it's used, $900-$950 sounds fair. But we're talking about Cabellas...notorious for high pricing. The only chance you have at getting it for $900 though is the fact that they most likely screwed the seller when he turned it in. After tax you're still looking at almost $1k.

I believe the street pricing when that model was available was around $1200-1250.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 00:22   #4
GVFlyer

Here's a review of the 2009 Valor.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...s-valor-45acp/

Old 01-04-2012, 07:58   #5
knedrgr

Looks like it's in great shape. $1K sounds fair for it. And the big box is known to have gotten a deal in buying that Valor from the original owner, so they're going to make $ on this deal, regardless.
COTEFT #2

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:59   #6
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

I was under the impression that the black Valors were many hundreds of dollars higher priced than the stainless gun.

I disagree about Cabela's pricing. Every once in a while, there's a real bargain in there because some "employee" couldn't figure out where to place the gun in the Blue Book. I've gotten some exceptionally good deals at Cabela's.

The Dan Wesson being discussed in this thread is one of them. I would not have left the store without the gun.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27   #7
ca survivor

don't buy it's too high....now, where is this Cabela's at ?

Last edited by ca survivor; 01-04-2012 at 09:27..
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 18:47   #8
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
I was under the impression that the black Valors were many hundreds of dollars higher priced than the stainless gun.
Only the 2010 and newer Valors.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 18:48   #9
CaptCave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post

I disagree about Cabela's pricing. Every once in a while, there's a real bargain in there because some "employee" couldn't figure out where to place the gun in the Blue Book. I've gotten some exceptionally good deals at Cabela's.

The Dan Wesson being discussed in this thread is one of them. I would not have left the store without the gun.

DW changed the parts and finish in 10'. The 09 isn't the same gun. Still a good one.
CaptCave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:27   #10
awpk03s

09 and earlier Valors had Cerakote finishes, which while not as good as the melonite that comes today - is still pretty nice.
awpk03s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 21:12   #11
extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOFA View Post
I have a chance of picking up this used DW Valor, it seems to be in excellent condition. What would be a fair price for me to buy? Cabela's wanted $1199 for it, then $1080 for the employees sale. I'm thinking more like $900 because it is an 2009 and that particular model had a questionable finish. It come with case, papers, 2 mags and envelope with spent casing. What do you think?
I would have walked out with it. My 2009 Valor is one of my favorite 1911s and it has a slight finish blemish on it - but it is a shooter and the finish has held up better than my Les Baer TRS's original finish did

James
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 22:51   #12
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCave View Post
DW changed the parts and finish in 10'. The 09 isn't the same gun. Still a good one.
After reading all the hype when the 2010 Valor came out, I called Keith in Kansas City and asked him to give me a quote to upgrade my 2009 to 2010 specs. He replied, "I'd be happy to help you waste your money, but if it was mine, I'd leave it alone. There's not enough difference in the two guns to justify the cost".

Old 01-05-2012, 09:45   #13
nolt
DONT PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremist View Post
the finish has held up better than my Les Baer TRS's original finish did

James
the TRS is BLUED cmon
nolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49   #14
nolt
DONT PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
After reading all the hype when the 2010 Valor came out, I called Keith in Kansas City and asked him to give me a quote to upgrade my 2009 to 2010 specs. He replied, "I'd be happy to help you waste your money, but if it was mine, I'd leave it alone. There's not enough difference in the two guns to justify the cost".
One should note that the cost of REPLACING the parts in your gun with the new parts would be greater than the new-gun difference between the two guns. Hence the difference in justification.
nolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 22:00   #15
extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolt View Post
the TRS is BLUED cmon
Yes, and the TRS cost $500 more than the 2009 Valor. What is your point ?

James
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 22:45   #16
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolt View Post
One should note that the cost of REPLACING the parts in your gun with the new parts would be greater than the new-gun difference between the two guns. Hence the difference in justification.
Not hardly.