Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2012, 16:53   #1
mdsn969

Remington .22 Golden Bullet exploded

Here is a pic of a Remington Golden Bullet, from a recent trip to the range. AR15 with Ciener 22 conversion kit. Rifle is fine, I am fine and after removing the bullet and cleaning up the barrel it shoots fine...

Fun and games...

Caliber Corner

Last edited by mdsn969; 03-13-2012 at 00:10..
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:14   #2
dkf

Probably too much powder.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 18:34   #3
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Yeah could be... ...but it is a 22 after all
Old 01-05-2012, 19:42   #4
banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I don't know about that...

The front of that bullet looks kind of "funky" to me.

I'm thinking bore obstruction.
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 21:25   #5
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I don't know about that...

The front of that bullet looks kind of "funky" to me.

I'm thinking bore obstruction.
That is where I used an aluminum cleaning rod to push it out, very gently. The bullet is lead after all, hence the tip deformation... Not really looking for a solution, it was just a bad round or maybe fired with the bolt not being completely closed, who knows. It is just an interesting aside

Last edited by mdsn969; 01-05-2012 at 21:27..
Old 01-05-2012, 23:52   #6
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsn969 View Post
Here is a pic of a Remington Golden Bullet, from a recent trip to the range. AR15 with Ciener 22 conversion kit. Rifle is fine, I am fine and after removing the bullet and cleaning up the barrel it shoots fine...

Fun and games...

Caliber Corner
To me, it looks like the round was not fully chambered when it was fired. The tolerances on some conversion kits, combined with the tolerances of certain AR-style rifles, will sometimes allow the hammer to strike the firing pin and the firing pin to hit the rim of the cartridge with enough force to fire a round, even if the bolt is not fully closed and the cartridge's rim is not resting on the edge of the chamber. You can see the firing pin mark on (what's left of) the case head, and you can see the front part of the case looks normal (where it was supported by the chamber walls). The part of the case that blew up was unsupported by the chamber because the bolt wasn't fully closed.

We used to see this fairly regularly with the USAF M16 conversion kits used in the mid-1980s. If the bolt was open 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch, and the round was jammed securely in place by being deformed or damaged during mag loading, then the round would sometimes fire out-of-battery and burst when the heavy M16/AR hammer smashed against the rear of the bolt and the firing pin. It usually resulted in a cloud of blue smoke around the affected weapon, and loud/creative language from next firing point to the right who got peppered with hot brass fragments.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 23:56   #7
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
To me, it looks like the round was not fully chambered when it was fired. The tolerances on some conversion kits, combined with the tolerances of certain AR-style rifles, will sometimes allow the hammer to strike the firing pin and the firing pin to hit the rim of the cartridge with enough force to fire a round, even if the bolt is not fully closed and the cartridge's rim is not resting on the edge of the chamber. You can see the firing pin mark on (what's left of) the case head, and you can see the front part of the case looks normal (where it was supported by the chamber walls). The part of the case that blew up was unsupported by the chamber because the bolt wasn't fully closed.

We used to see this fairly regularly with the USAF M16 conversion kits used in the mid-1980s. If the bolt was open 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch, and the round was jammed securely in place by being deformed or damaged during mag loading, then the round would sometimes fire out-of-battery and burst when the heavy M16/AR hammer smashed against the rear of the bolt and the firing pin. It usually resulted in a cloud of blue smoke around the affected weapon, and loud/creative language from next firing point to the right who got peppered with hot brass fragments.
That pretty much sums up my line of thinking as well. Of course the creative language came from me... ...I shoot left handed
Old 01-06-2012, 21:03   #8
DJ Niner

Quote:
...I shoot left handed
Me too (long-guns, at least; cross-dominant vision). I've experienced more than a few cases of flaming-gunpowder-granules/hot-brass-shards acne over the years, and it ain't fun.

.22s can be bad, but the worst offenders were the centerfire semi-auto pistol-caliber carbines, like the Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm. I swear the casings would actively direct half their burning powder grains into my face during every extraction/ejection cycle. Darned distracting, and annoying enough that I eventually got rid of it.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 21:26   #9
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

It seems everyone is experiencing problems with Remington's 22 LR these days...Many are dissatisfied with these! Damn shame!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35   #10
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
It seems everyone is experiencing problems with Remington's 22 LR these days...Many are dissatisfied with these! Damn shame!
When this box is gone I don't plan to purchase any more golden bullets. They feed ok and eject ok but I have had an inordinate number of failures to fire, and then this little episode.

I have found that CCI's (0030 Mini Mag) run beautifully in my AR, 10/22, and Advantage Arms G17 conversion kit. I love the Stingers as well but they are not a whole lot less expensive than bulk 9mm range ammo.

And don't even get me started on WWB .22 ammo Although WWB 9mm runs fine thru my G17 and G26.

Last edited by mdsn969; 01-07-2012 at 02:45.. Reason: Because I fat finger type...
Old 01-07-2012, 01:39   #11
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
Me too (long-guns, at least; cross-dominant vision). I've experienced more than a few cases of flaming-gunpowder-granules/hot-brass-shards acne over the years, and it ain't fun.

.22s can be bad, but the worst offenders were the centerfire semi-auto pistol-caliber carbines, like the Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm. I swear the casings would actively direct half their burning powder grains into my face during every extraction/ejection cycle. Darned distracting, and annoying enough that I eventually got rid of it.
Interesting, I am cross dominate as well and can actually shoot either handed but prefer shooting lefty. I only own one left handed weapon, a Remington Model 1100 (fantastic shotgun) parts became scarce right after I bought it 30 years ago
Old 01-07-2012, 06:39   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
We have akro bins on the sides of our range for duds. They are always full of 22's. By a large margin, they are Remmington. I always shoot the duds because most of them work. The Rems almost never go off and I don't bother with them.

It may sound funny to shoot the 22 duds, but there are so many of them that I can shoot my 22's for free. My Marlin 39 will set off a lot of 22's that other guns apparently won't.

That said, between Rem'c crappy RF ammo, and a ceiner product, my money isn't on the Rem product being the cause in this case.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17   #13
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
We have akro bins on the sides of our range for duds. They are always full of 22's. By a large margin, they are Remmington. I always shoot the duds because most of them work. The Rems almost never go off and I don't bother with them.

It may sound funny to shoot the 22 duds, but there are so many of them that I can shoot my 22's for free. My Marlin 39 will set off a lot of 22's that other guns apparently won't.

That said, between Rem'c crappy RF ammo, and a ceiner product, my money isn't on the Rem product being the cause in this case.
Hahahaha, I have been known to run duds back thru again as well (THAT WAS NOT THE CASE THIS TIME) and they usually fire, but more often than not the remingtons don't fire. When one of the remingtons fails to fire first time I throw it out.

I hear ya on the Ceiner conversion (I am not sad he was arrested), but and a big but, I completely disassembled the bolt and deburred, fitted, and polished all of the components. Then properly fitted the mags (they were dragging). It will now run just about any .22 ammo, even Centurion. The only ammo that still gives me any problems is Remington Golden Bullet. I am by and far the happiest with CCI.

PS. I love aluminum casing Blazers for my 9mm as well, I watch for sales here and usually get them for about 9 bucks for a box of 50... Of course CCI and Blazer are both owned by ATK.

Last edited by mdsn969; 01-08-2012 at 20:45..
Old 01-10-2012, 00:04   #14
mdsn969

Went to the range today trying to shoot up the box of golden bullets. Out of 120 or so rounds thru an Advantage Arms kit in a G17 there were 3 misfires, I ran all of them back thru two fired one was a dud. Not horrible for 22's...
Old 01-10-2012, 15:41   #15
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Just curious, but were these packaged in 50, 525, or 550 round boxes?

I used to shoot the Golden Bullets all the time in my rimfires and never had a problem with them. This was back when a 550 round box was less than $9.

However, I recall my friends having some of the 525 round and 50 round boxes of them, and I remember seeing some of the ejected shells having split cases, although the weapons function was never effected. However, there were more failures to fire. The ammo also looked dirty. So I just concluded that the 550 round boxes were the better variety.

Now with that being said, DJ Niner spoke my thoughts exactly. The way the case exploded was a dead giveaway.
Old 01-10-2012, 20:12   #16
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
Just curious, but were these packaged in 50, 525, or 550 round boxes?

I used to shoot the Golden Bullets all the time in my rimfires and never had a problem with them. This was back when a 550 round box was less than $9.

However, I recall my friends having some of the 525 round and 50 round boxes of them, and I remember seeing some of the ejected shells having split cases, although the weapons function was never effected. However, there were more failures to fire. The ammo also looked dirty. So I just concluded that the 550 round boxes were the better variety.

Now with that being said, DJ Niner spoke my thoughts exactly. The way the case exploded was a dead giveaway.
DJ Niner is spot on... It was the 550 box, about 100 left to shoot then CCI's only.

Well also have a couple hundred cheap Centurion's to shoot and then CCI's only. The Centurions are flawless and dirt cheap, but they are lead, not copper coated...

Last edited by mdsn969; 01-10-2012 at 20:13..
Old 03-12-2012, 21:12   #17
firedog03

A buddy of mine has a Browning camper model, he was shooting the remington golden bullets. one exploded, severly damaging the gun. I will try to post of picture when i can. he said he had already contacted both Browning and Remington. Browning has said they will replace the firearm. Remington said send the ammo back, or the remainder of the box.
firedog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 00:38   #18
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog03 View Post
A buddy of mine has a Browning camper model, he was shooting the remington golden bullets. one exploded, severly damaging the gun. I will try to post of picture when i can. he said he had already contacted both Browning and Remington. Browning has said they will replace the firearm. Remington said send the ammo back, or the remainder of the box.
In my case the weapon was fine. I shot up the remaining rounds and will just never buy Remington Golden Bullets again. The exploding bullets were on thing but the failures to fire were just maddening...

I am happy with CCI Mini Mags, they shoot flawlessly.
Old 03-13-2012, 00:56   #19
cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsn969 View Post
Here is a pic of a Remington Golden Bullet, from a recent trip to the range. AR15 with Ciener 22 conversion kit. Rifle is fine, I am fine and after removing the bullet and cleaning up the barrel it shoots fine... Fun and games...
Yep, I've had a few Rem Golds blow. IMO, the ammo is cheap and cheap. And, accuracy is mediocre for me. But, it works mostly, so I still use it when the price is right.
- When I was strong they came for the weak but I did nothing. Now I am weak and they come for me.
cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31   #20
MinnesnowtaWild

Remington ammo is GARBAGE! The worst is their rimfire ammo...I wouldn't buy it if it was dirt cheap. If you want cheap, quality .22 LR ammo order some bricks of CCI Blazers.

Even their centerfire ammo has been terrible for me.
MinnesnowtaWild is offline   Reply With Quote