SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2012, 17:20   #1
Lord270
Lord270

Query for 9mm powder

Hey everybody I have been reloading for about 1 and 1/2 years but I have only been reloading for rifles and I am starting to get ready to reload 9mm I reload using a RCBS Rock Chucker My main question and query is I am looking at using Alliant Power Pistol for my powder. Does anyone have any experience with this powder the other powder I looked at was Tightgroup but I have heard bad reviews about it for starters and I can get PP cheaper than TG and the range is closer as well the bullets I am looking at are Raniers

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Lord270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:26   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Federal law mandates that all 9mm rounds be loaded with UNIQUE.

Obama finally did something right.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:28   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord270 View Post
Hey everybody I have been reloading for about 1 and 1/2 years but I have only been reloading for rifles and I am starting to get ready to reload 9mm I reload using a RCBS Rock Chucker My main question and query is I am looking at using Alliant Power Pistol for my powder. Does anyone have any experience with this powder the other powder I looked at was Tightgroup but I have heard bad reviews about it for starters and I can get PP cheaper than TG and the range is closer as well the bullets I am looking at are Raniers

So you mention TG which is great for Bunny Fart type loads and Power Pistol which is great for Factory Style Full Power Loads. What do you want to make?
Old 01-05-2012, 17:29   #4
Lord270
Lord270

Self Defense / competition loads

Old 01-05-2012, 17:37   #5
Roughedgekid
Old Fart

I have used PP in 40 cal's with good results but I agree with Jack that Unique is the best all around powder for most pistol loads.
Old 01-05-2012, 17:45   #6
bigleaf

The fellow I reload with uses PP in his .38 Spl and .40 S&W loads. He likes it. He likes Bullseye, too.

I've had my best results with Titegroup, in 124s and 147s. Bullseye worked nicely. Not as nice as the TG, but I'd certainly use it in a pinch.

Buy one pound of the PP and give it a try across the range of loads. Borrow something else from a friend and make twenty-five or fifty rounds to try. Try and try again. You'll end up with something you really like.
That's all that tyranny is: it's not in a personality; it's a set of circumstances. It's being trapped with your enemy in a limited space– a country or a family– where the balance of power between you is unequal and the weaker one has no recourse.
bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:48   #7
glockaviator

I recommend you use a powder that fills more than 1/2 the case. Impossible to double charge that way. (this isnt a problem with rifle rounds)
Old 01-05-2012, 17:51   #8
WvHiker

I use PP for 9mm. I get quite a bit of fire even though I'm well under max loadings, but it's accurate, fun to shoot and doesn't seem to recoil any more than NATO White Box I get at the local store. I think one of my manuals list PP as a top choice for 9mm.
WvHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:54   #9
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord270 View Post
Self Defense / competition loads

Those are two different things. Self defense loads will be blazing fast with no concern for recoil. The will probably be jacketed hollow points and will certainly not be lead or plated bullets.

Competition loads will barely make the required power factor and controlling recoil is everything. They might as well be lead bullets because plated bullets cost just as much as FMJ. Unless range rules prevent the use of lead bullets.

In fact, if you want to pay the price for plated bullets, why not look at FMJ for which there is a ton of published load data. Zero or Precision Delta might look attractive.

The Zero 115 gr FMJ is about $100/1000:
http://shootersconnectionstore.com/Z...lets-C153.aspx

Precision Delta 115 gr FMJ is $76/1000 free shipping.
http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail...ku=B-9-115-FMJ

The Rainier plated bullet equivalent is about $85/1000 and load data has to be worked up.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0932&src=tpMfg

Berry's plated are about $83/1000 free shipping but load data has to be worked up.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14..._115gr_RN.aspx

If you actually need a total jacket (for range rules), you can try Montana Gold 115 gr CMJ for < $80/1000 in 4000 round cases.
https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist.html

There isn't any published data for any plated bullets. Rainier says use lead loading data, Berry's says use mid-range jacketed data but it doesn't appear that either of them have done any testing that they are willing to publish. Personally, I'll just pass on plated bullets.

Rainier also says that it is possible to use mid-range jacketed bullet load data if lead data isn't available. But Alliant still doesn't provide a range of loads.

You should probably buy a copy of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 8th Edition. Most LGS's have it as does Midway.

Richard
Old 01-05-2012, 18:06   #10
Skytow

Unique... Jack says.

+ it will fill the case and you can load it up or down as you need (mid range to pretty hot anyway)

JD
Skytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 18:20   #11
D. Manley

Power Pistol is actually a very good 9MM powder especially, at full power loadings. The only down side is that it's a bit loud and has a significant muzzle flash...although, some folks like that sort of thing. If you want to explore alternatives, for 115 & 124 grain bullets, I prefer N-330, Silhouette and WSF...all produce very accurate, safe, loads.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 19:23   #12
Colorado4Wheel

PP is a great powder for SD loads that will be shot outside.
Old 01-05-2012, 21:13   #13
fredj338

TG, you're kidding right? Like C4W notes, good bunnyfart load but not even on the radar for full power ammo IMO. PP is quite accurate but I am not a fan of the blast, especially in shorter bbls. Unique is a great midrange to full power choice, some complain about metering. WSF is a better metering Unique, Universal is right there too.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 21:44   #14
akroguy

I've been using WW231 or HP38 (same stuff, really) for years in both .45ACP and 9mm with great results. Power Pistol does seem like great stuff too, but since I bought 16 pounds of HP38 last year, I'm set for a while!
akroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 23:00   #15
TX expat

I load a lot of 9mm and all my .40 rounds with Power Pistol. I think it's a pretty good powder and would be a good choice based on your needs. It will provide a little more audio/visual entertainment than some other choices. My wife doesn't care for those rounds for that reason, so I load her 9mm practice rounds with W231 and I've been happy with that as well.

***guess I should add that I don't do any competitive shooting, so my rounds are practice rounds only.

Last edited by TX expat; 01-06-2012 at 08:32..
TX expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58   #16
kcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughedgekid View Post
I have used PP in 40 cal's with good results but I agree with Jack that Unique is the best all around powder for most pistol loads.
Except I thought that Unique didn't meter worth spit in progressive powder measures (Dillon's and Lee's, in particular. Might be fine in RCBS/Hornady). That makes it not so good for high-volume pistol shooters for anything other than rapid fire range fodder...

I use Silhouette myself, but even the maximum loads don't get you as much recoil as self-defense loads or even standard-pressure factory rounds (for 124 grain 9mm, or 180 grain .40 S&W). AA#5 seems to be better for that in 9mm (haven't tried it for .40, and probably won't). Silhouette might be just the thing if you want to push things a bit. People are using it with a lot of success to make major power factor in 9mm, but they're loading long. Might be okay to go a couple of tenths above max charge with it in a standard OAL in 9mm, might not (they try to keep pressures below standard SAAMI max, but +P/NATO and +P+ are higher than that).

Last edited by kcbrown; 01-06-2012 at 03:21..
kcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:06   #17
kcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
The Rainier plated bullet equivalent is about $85/1000 and load data has to be worked up.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0932&src=tpMfg

Berry's plated are about $83/1000 free shipping but load data has to be worked up.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14..._115gr_RN.aspx
To be fair, the load is going to have to be worked up regardless, if one has even a modest amount of sense.

Quote:
There isn't any published data for any plated bullets. Rainier says use lead loading data, Berry's says use mid-range jacketed data but it doesn't appear that either of them have done any testing that they are willing to publish. Personally, I'll just pass on plated bullets.
Yep. Another disadvantage is that they're very sensitive to crimp. Overcrimp even a little and you'll damage the plating and accuracy will go in the toilet.
kcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12   #18
shotgunred
reloading nut

Power pistol is a great choice for your full power loads. I have used it in IDPA loads as well. But you put yourself at a competitive disadvantage because of the extra recoil. But if your goal is to practice with full power loads it is a good choice. Just don't expect to win while using it.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:00   #19
creophus
Born Again

I've used both for 9mm, in 115gr and 147gr bullets. Either will do what you want. PP is notorious for muzzle flash, so keep that in mind if you load SD rounds.

What's up with all the Titegroup haters?

#448 .40S&W, 1911, Rimfire , Kalishnikov, & Black Rifle club
creophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14   #20
Lord270
Lord270

Ok. So the PP is a good powder all in all except for the recoil factor, the recoil doesn't matter to me, I am used to dealing with recoil. I am quite a big stout man.

I mean the whole flashy/loud factor doesn't bother me, the reloads I do for my 270 (which I use in F-class open competition) are loud, send a long flame out my barrel, kick like a mule, and everybody says sounds like a d@*n cannon don't bother me cause I also use them for deer hunting as well, and I hunt out of a open lean to stand.

The competition I am going into is GSSF and they don't require a large amount of rounds for every competition, I think I remember somebody said around 50-60 each division. My reloads will mostly be HD rounds

Last edited by Lord270; 01-06-2012 at 09:16..