Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2012, 22:20   #1
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Gentlemen, I have strayed. I bought a 9 minimeter!

Well, my G29 has been my carry gun since April, and I've loved it. However, I needed something a little smaller for carrying at work. I am allowed to carry at work (well, not prohibited), but I worry that most of my coworkers would **** a brick if they happened to see my gun. That has prompted me to carry my G29 in "deep cover" while at work. That means in my boot (in the holster). I got used to it, and it's really not bad. However, the draw would be a nightmare, and it meant that I HAD to wear my boots every day. So, I bought this:

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

I just got it two days ago, and I still haven't shot it (I will Saturday). Anyway, if it shoots worth a damn, I'll REALLY like it. This thing is the PERFECT size for carrying. It is JUST small enough to be a viable pocket carry gun, but really shines IWB. I carried it one day at work just to see how it was. I carried it half the day in my pocket, then the other half IWB in front (appendix). It absolutely disappears when carried IWB in front. The G29 is too big to do that. Anyway, so far I'm very happy. I can't wait to shoot it. I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

By the way, don't worry. It will never replace the G29. Even if it passes the carry reliability test, it will only see duty while at work. The G29 goes back on as soon as I leave work. But for situations where something smaller is necessary, it's great. Here are some more pics comparing it to the G29. It doesn't LOOK much smaller, but trust me, the difference is HUGE:

Ruger LC9 on top of G29:
The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02   #2
arushus
Biggest Member

That gun is awesome! Ive been afraid to admit it but Ive been looking real seriously at one. Not sure if you knew this or not, but th LC9 is the Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence Handgun of the Year, not sure what that means, but it must be pretty good to beat out all the other selections out there!
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:40   #3
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Thanks for the report, 21.... Let us know where you're gonna post the review so we can tune in. I'm trying to decide on a Ruger LC9 or a Kahr CM9. Both would be fine but the Ruger is cheaper, which greatly appeals to me.

Good lookin pistol!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:27   #4
attrapereves

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between my Glock 19 and 29/30. Heck, there is even a difference between my Kahr CW9 and Glock 19.

The only guns I can comfortably carry concealed are my 9mms. Now that it's winter, I can carry everything in a Serpa with a jacket covering it.
attrapereves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52   #5
Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new LC9. Good to hear an objective review of your 9X19. I've been breaking-in a Kimber Solo here recently, and there's been a lot of bashing on the other sites.

Let us know how you like it after carrying for a while.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:52   #6
Crosseyed Shooter

I recently purchased a Sig 290 for my "small carry" gun. The size is great and it shoots awesome. It came with night sights, a laser, and 2 mags for $499 new at my LGS. I keep the Sig in my pocket and my G29 is always close by.
Crosseyed Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:05   #7
10-acious
A Perfect 10

I bought one of those for my father to replace his usual carry, a S&W 36. We took it to the range and put 300 rounds thru it without a hiccup. Amazing little piece. Congratulations on yours, you will love it.
10-acious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06   #8
Jitterbug

Congratulations 21.

Now I know you'll be doing some ammo testing with that so I'll be looking forward to it. The Speer 147 grain Gold Dot's I carry have gotten to pricey for my wallet and I need to work on some reloads for pocket nines.

A small gun is better then no gun, so I don't think you've "strayed". The side by side illustration makes the point, concealed hip carry isn't always an option due to dress or whatever. And as you've found out carrying in your boot has some serious limitations...however still better then no gun.

I've carried a Kahr PM9 in my right front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis since 2003, it goes everywhere. And though this type of carry has limitations, the draw isn't too bad with some practice and the right pants. Tight pockets don't work well...

I also have an OWB holster for it and again it works great too and the wife borrows that one occasionally for her EDC PM9.

I have the small 9mm issue settled and haven't bothered to replace the PM9's they work and do the job very well. The only upgrades are night sights and Crimson Trace lasers, loaded up with 147 grain Gold Dot's they should do the job more effectively then a .38 Special in a Smith 442/642. Another nice pocket pistol choice, but with a steep learning curve, heavy recoil and lack of capacity and quick reload capability...but still not a bad choice if one has the motivation to master the little beast. Loaded with 135 grain +P Gold Dot's it should work. I consider this to be the least effective and smallest CCW I'd consider carrying. Although I do have a NAA .22 derringer that I've had for many years and refuse to part with...talk about tiny gun.

I'm not that familiar with the Ruger, but have heard/read good things about it, I think it's just slightly larger then the Kahr PM9/CM9.

Looks like a good choice, I guess we'll have to review and discuss loads in another forum?

Last edited by Jitterbug; 01-06-2012 at 09:10..
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48   #9
MinervaDoe

I think you'll like your LC9. I've had mine for a couple of months and I think it is a very well put together firearm. Here is a seven yard group from my second trip to the range. The gun handles amazingly well for such a little pistol.

Be sure that you read the section of the manual that states that +P+ rounds are forbidden and +P rounds will accelerate the wear of the gun.

The 10 Ring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:23   #10
THE PUNISHER

not me, I went to the smaller ruger the LCP .380.....nice pistol, front pocket, rear pocket, neck holster....
Old 01-06-2012, 10:24   #11
rcd567

Dang I'm old. My past, present, and future "Get Off Me" gun is a 3" barreled S&W model 66. For you fledglings...it's a revolver. Only carries 6 rounds in this rotating cylinder. It's all steel, and has wood grips.

I know, I know...I'm a dinosaur.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47   #12
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed Shooter View Post
I recently purchased a Sig 290 for my "small carry" gun. The size is great and it shoots awesome. It came with night sights, a laser, and 2 mags for $499 new at my LGS. I keep the Sig in my pocket and my G29 is always close by.
Dang, you got a STEAL on that P290! That was my favorite of the single stack 9s, but it was usually around $700. I went with the Ruger because it was half that price, and I think it's a little slimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
Congratulations 21.

Now I know you'll be doing some ammo testing with that so I'll be looking forward to it. The Speer 147 grain Gold Dot's I carry have gotten to pricey for my wallet and I need to work on some reloads for pocket nines.

Looks like a good choice, I guess we'll have to review and discuss loads in another forum?
I'm definitely going to test some 9mm loads in my wax tubes. I am really anxious to see how 10mm compares to 9mm. It's got some 124gr +P Gold Dots in it now, so that will be the first thing I test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I think you'll like your LC9. I've had mine for a couple of months and I think it is a very well put together firearm. Here is a seven yard group from my second trip to the range. The gun handles amazingly well for such a little pistol.

Be sure that you read the section of the manual that states that +P+ rounds are forbidden and +P rounds will accelerate the wear of the gun.

The 10 Ring
Yeah, I always read the manual before I shoot a gun. I had already read that about it anyway, but thanks for the heads up. I plan to carry +P, and I'll only shoot enough through it to ensure it's reliable with them.

About your target, doesn't that just kill you when you about cut out the 10, but never hit it? I do that all the time. It drives me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PUNISHER View Post
not me, I went to the smaller ruger the LCP .380.....nice pistol, front pocket, rear pocket, neck holster....
The LCP is definitely tiny. You're not kidding, you could carry that gun anywhere. I just wouldn't feel comfortable relying on .380ACP.

Last edited by 21Carrier; 01-06-2012 at 10:51..
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42   #13
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcd567 View Post
I know, I know...I'm a dinosaur.
I keep a Tom-A-Saurus placard over my bench in the garage to remind that I'm no spring chicken.

We're not dinosaurs.
  1. We're seasoned.
  2. We know hot to utilize a gun requiring a double action pull.
My original "get off me gun" was a brand new S&W 6906. Then, later, I got my wife a tiny concealable J-Frame revolver, which became the standard against which all future concealable guns were compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
About your target, doesn't that just kill you when you about cut out the 10, but never hit it? I do that all the time. It drives me crazy.
I'm perfectly happy surrounding the bullseye with a highly concealable, self defense type gun.

My Glocks tend to like to pick a side of the bullseye and nibble at it.
G26
The 10 Ring

G20
The 10 Ring

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 01-06-2012 at 12:44..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:46   #14
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

9 minimeter...Oh man! The 10 maximeter world is crumbling!

Congrats 21! It should be a neat conceal package pistol!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:53   #15
aarolar

Only girly men and women shoot 9 minimeters...

Just kidding I have considered getting one myself but my CW40 does everything I need it to.
aarolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:46   #16
DeLo

I've thought about the Ruger a bit but can't get down with it yet. I love the sights on your 29, are they straight eights??
Old 01-06-2012, 20:32   #17
JimIsland

Congrats,Nice choice! Looking forward to a range report.
JimIsland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:45   #18
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I keep a Tom-A-Saurus placard over my bench in the garage to remind that I'm no spring chicken.

We're not dinosaurs.
  1. We're seasoned.
  2. We know hot to utilize a gun requiring a double action pull.
My original "get off me gun" was a brand new S&W 6906. Then, later, I got my wife a tiny concealable J-Frame revolver, which became the standard against which all future concealable guns were compared.

I'm perfectly happy surrounding the bullseye with a highly concealable, self defense type gun.

My Glocks tend to like to pick a side of the bullseye and nibble at it.
G26
The 10 Ring

G20
The 10 Ring
Good shooting there MinervaDoe!

Congrats carrier on the new pistol. I have heard good things. Ran two boxes through the little brother (LCP) with no trouble. After getting used to the trigger, groups tightened up. 100% function with two types of ammo. I was more impressed than I expected to be. If the larger Ruger functions as well, that will be a good deep concealment rig.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 22:35   #19
flyandscuba

I chose a DB9 as my always (right front pocket) pistol - much smaller than the LC9, with full 9mm power.

Here's the first mag full - standing, slow fire at 5 yards.

The 10 Ring

The remaining 100 rounds out of a WWB - standing, slow fire at 5 yards produced this:

The 10 Ring

A target change was made and an additional 100 rounds of WWB - standing, rapid fire at 5 yards looked like this:

The 10 Ring

All this was done straight out of the box, no cleaning, no lube - nothing...

I ran a box of Pow'Rball ammo through it to assure proper function, and that is my carry load for this "always" pistol.
Old 01-06-2012, 23:29   #20
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLo View Post
I've thought about the Ruger a bit but can't get down with it yet. I love the sights on your 29, are they straight eights??
Yep, Heinie Straight Eights. I love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
I chose a DB9 as my always (right front pocket) pistol - much smaller than the LC9, with full 9mm power.

Here's the first mag full - standing, slow fire at 5 yards.

The 10 Ring

The remaining 100 rounds out of a WWB - standing, slow fire at 5 yards produced this:

The 10 Ring

A target change was made and an additional 100 rounds of WWB - standing, rapid fire at 5 yards looked like this:

The 10 Ring

All this was done straight out of the box, no cleaning, no lube - nothing...

I ran a box of Pow'Rball ammo through it to assure proper function, and that is my carry load for this "always" pistol.
I looked at the DB9. I like that it's essentially a little Glock, but them being a new manufacturer really worried me. It's good to hear yours works well. I've heard a few bad stories, but just as many (if not more) good ones. If I end up really liking this LC9, I might try a DB9 in the future. I could see myself owning a few of these little pocket nines. They are generally really cheap (compared to other guns), and a pleasure to carry.