GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25   #1
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Mini-14 barrel stabilizers

Does anybody know if there is any difference in functionality (or preformance) between the Har-Bar Mini-14 Accurizer and the True Shot Technologies Barrel Stabilizer?


Har-Bar Mini-14 Accurizer
Review: http://www.gunblast.com/JessHardin-Mini14.htm
http://www.rogco.biz/whatistheharbar.html
$159.00

True Shot Technologies Barrel Stabilizer for the Ruger Mini-14/Mini-30 Rifles
Review: http://www.gunblast.com/TrueShot.htm
http://trueshottechnologies.com/RUGER_MINI_14_30.html
$83.00
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 01-06-2012 at 11:25..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:51   #2
TX expat
Senior Member
 
TX expat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: KC MO
Posts: 376
Since they basically all do the same thing, I doubt there is any accuracy difference between designs. I don't really see any reason to spend almost double for one vs another. Accu-strut and Mo-Rod also make pretty much the same thing and they all sell around the $90 price range.

Sorry I can't offer any specific help. I have an Accu-strut on mine and I believe it does help when the barrel is hot. I'm sure any of the others would do the same.
TX expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58   #3
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
Since they basically all do the same thing, I doubt there is any accuracy difference between designs. I don't really see any reason to spend almost double for one vs another. Accu-strut and Mo-Rod also make pretty much the same thing and they all sell around the $90 price range.

Sorry I can't offer any specific help. I have an Accu-strut on mine and I believe it does help when the barrel is hot. I'm sure any of the others would do the same.
That's sort of the way I have it figured; just checking.

Now, I've got two more leads.
http://www.mo-rod.com/

This link seemed to have problems http://accu-strut.com/
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 01-06-2012 at 12:03..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:27   #4
TX expat
Senior Member
 
TX expat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: KC MO
Posts: 376
I think the older Mini's with the thin barrel will probably see more benefit, but I like how it looks so one went on my new tapered barrel. I figured the extra support could only help it regardless, and it looks good!
TX expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:38   #5
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
I think the older Mini's with the thin barrel will probably see more benefit, but I like how it looks so one went on my new tapered barrel. I figured the extra support could only help it regardless, and it looks good!
Mine is old. S/N 183-xxxxx.
It's my desert plinker from my college days.
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:06   #6
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 31,574
Hey MD -- if you go with one of these stabilizers, please keep us posted on how it performs for you... Ruger Club


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:05   #7
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Hey MD -- if you go with one of these stabilizers, please keep us posted on how it performs for you... Ruger Club
Sure thing. My Mini-14 is sort of like my poor man's black rifle. I've got to do something to keep up with the Jones'es.
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11   #8
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Sure thing. My Mini-14 is sort of like my poor man's black rifle. I've got to do something to keep up with the Jones'es.

It's funny -- I know that the black rifles (and AR's in particular) are the Cat's Meow, the greatest thing since sliced bread and air-conditioning, and will beat back biker hordes one-handed while making one's morning coffee -- but I just, for whatever reason, can't seem to get behind them.

I guess I've always been a bit of a contrarian that way...Anyway, am always interested in hearing about other mouse-traps... Ruger Club


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31   #9
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
It's funny -- I know that the black rifles (and AR's in particular) are the Cat's Meow, the greatest thing since sliced bread and air-conditioning, and will beat back biker hordes one-handed while making one's morning coffee -- but I just, for whatever reason, can't seem to get behind them..
I agree. There are two big reasons for me.
1) They are expensive.
2) California's draconian gun laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
I guess I've always been a bit of a contrarian that way...Anyway, am always interested in hearing about other mouse-traps... Ruger Club.
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47   #10
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I agree. There are two big reasons for me.
1) They are expensive.
2) California's draconian gun laws.

Oh, yeah -- I keep forgetting that you're in the Demokratic Republic...

Honestly -- I have a ton of family in Cali, and visit it at least once a year -- but those gun laws alone are enough to keep me from ever moving back to that state...It's truly a shame!


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05   #11
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Oh, yeah -- I keep forgetting that you're in the Demokratic Republic...

Honestly -- I have a ton of family in Cali, and visit it at least once a year -- but those gun laws alone are enough to keep me from ever moving back to that state...It's truly a shame! .
Yup, I live with a bunch of brain washed Zombies who think the nannie state can fix everything.
Anyhow, the TrueShot technologies product is probably the one that I'll go for. The Mini-14s are reliable and accuarate enough to hit a can at 100 yards. That's good enough for me.

True Shot Technologies Barrel Stabilizer for the Ruger Mini-14/Mini-30 Rifles
Review: http://www.gunblast.com/TrueShot.htm
http://trueshottechnologies.com/RUGER_MINI_14_30.html
$83.00
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08   #12
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
One of these times when Big 5 has the Savage Axis/Edge in .223 on sale for $349.00, I'm probably going to snag one. That'll be my accurate 5.56.
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10   #13
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
One of these times when Big 5 has the Savage Axis/Edge in .223 on sale for $349.00, I'm probably going to snag one. That'll be my accurate 5.56.

You go, guy! Ruger Club



.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:21   #14
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
You go, guy! Ruger Club
Savage, the ultimate plinker.
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29   #15
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Savage, the ultimate plinker.

Sad to say, we don't have a Big 5 around here (okay, okay -- Cali tops us there!!! )...But we have Dick's, which often has sales (especially during hunting season). I feel strongly that there's a Savage .223 or .243 bolt gun in my future as a long-range "plinker"...


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:48   #16
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
I feel strongly that there's a Savage .223 or .243 bolt gun in my future as a long-range "plinker"... .
My gunsmith likes Savage. He thinks that they are the best gun right out of the box right now.
He says he watches SWAT guys dump thousands of dollars into Remingtons.
I'm really glad that I bought my 10FP back before they doubled in price.
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:51   #17
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 31,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
My gunsmith likes Savage. He thinks that they are the best gun right out of the box right now.
He says he watches SWAT guys dump thousands of dollars into Remingtons.
I'm really glad that I bought my 10FP back before they doubled in price.

Who am I to argue with your gunsmith?


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 19:29   #18
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
I put in my order for a True Shot Technologies Barrel Stabilizer. I'm not sure how good my range test data will be. Every time I think of shooting my Mini-14, I can't resist hauling it to the can range.
It's a plinker.
Now, which forum would be the best to start a thread on finding the best prices on surplus 5.56 ammo?
I'm really hoping that ammunition prices take a nose dive now that we pulled out of Iraq.
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 20:35   #19
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 31,574
I shall reiterate my request for a range report...! Ruger Club

For ammo at a per/box price, I really haven't been able to beat my local Wally World (when one factors in shipping) -- but for bulk-buying, I really can't say...


.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 21:47   #20
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 6,874
Blog Entries: 5
I took a crack at it.
Quote:
Looking for sales on 5.56 X 45 & 7.62 X 51

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...9#post18419379
__________________
http://www.chronosscifi.com/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 957
309 Members
648 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42