GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2012, 20:12   #1
Thumpernator

Anyone near Sharpsburg, GA, with Hornady or Dillon Progressive?

I'd really love to see your setup and bend your ear about your system. Seems that none of the local gunshops have anything in stock to see the actual thing.
Thumpernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:10   #2
snowwdog
snowwdog

im in marietta ga. if it helps.
snowwdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:19   #3
thorn137
Walther

If you ever make it to the Tallahassee area, drop me a line.

thorn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
thorn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:25   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

I don't live anywhere near Georgia... see how lucky your New Year is starting out.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:38   #5
sdelam

I drove through Georgia once....
Old 01-08-2012, 14:46   #6
jbrown13

I'm in Perry (30 mi S of Macon) and have a LnL w/ case feeder. I'm about 75% satisfied with it as it came out of the box, and will entertain your questions, etc.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 21:52   #7
Hal A Looyah

I'm in Locust Grove. I have 2 550's set up. Come on over. 404-384-1597
Hal A Looyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 22:11   #8
ron59
Bustin Caps

Save yourself a trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrb...eature=related
5 videos, 10 minutes each, for almost an hour of in-depth info on the 550.
From setting it up, piece by piece, installing dies, and how to load. He shows it all. From there, the 650 is pretty much the same except for how the actual primer feed mechanism works, and there's a casefeeder.

The LNL is the same, except the design is slightly different. Between those 3 presses (550/650/LNL AP).... if you see and understand how one works, the other two are basically the same, only slightly different.

I have a 550 and a 650, love 'em.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45   #9
Colorado4Wheel

I will make it easy for you. If you want the highest chance of success with the least amount of frustration, GET A DILLON. If you want good advice on what to get read

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

Only thing I disagree with is he says to NOT start with a 650. It's just not that hard to use a 650. He is being ultra conservative. Besides that its the best advice anywhere.

As to the LnL. Some people have good luck with it others don't. You could be the person on either side of that fence. It's not about the user, it's just the press is not as good in some areas. Particularly priming and casefeeder. ALL you need to do to prove this is read the threads on this forum active right now. CCI primers and another thread specifically about the LnL and getting a 650.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16   #10
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I will make it easy for you. If you want the highest chance of success with the least amount of frustration, GET A DILLON. If you want good advice on what to get read

Only thing I disagree with is he says to NOT start with a 650. It's just not that hard to use a 650. He is being ultra conservative. Besides that its the best advice anywhere.
I agree. Kind've wish I had gotten a 650 originally instead of the 550. However, at that time money was a bit on an issue, and I wasn't sure if reloading was for me. I had a hard time justifying the 550 to myself, but once I got it.... am glad I did (over a Classic Turret or something else). Now that I'm 2.5 years into reloading, I had no problems at all justifying the 650. I'll probably keep the 550 for another year or two and then sell it for another 650... one in each primer size.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36   #11
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:

and, that's the reason I purchased an xl650 over the 550 for my second press.
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 18:32   #12
Hawker Man

I started with a XL650 with a case feeder, also every thing for 38/357, 9mm and 45. No problems, take it slow, watch everything, and take it slow.
Hawker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 19:37   #13
Thumpernator

Thanks for all the info and offers, guys. My son set me up with a local guy who has a Dillon to check out.

I've watched a few of the videos. Problem is, I have HughesNet satellite internet and it's not very fast and they limit you on the amount you can download. DSL an Cable are not available at my house.

I 'was' favoring the LnL because it appeared it was much easier/faster to change calibers. It also appeared that it's much cheaper to add another caliber to the arsenal. I hadn't even thought about the 650 because Brian's page recommended against it for the new reloader. Guess it's time for a second look and more reading. I do a LOT more reading than posting. It's like my Dad said years ago, "If your lips are moving,,,, you aren't learning anything."

No hurry in getting anything real soon. My son and I have been collecting our brass, though.
Thumpernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 20:40   #14
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpernator View Post
Thanks for all the info and offers, guys. My son set me up with a local guy who has a Dillon to check out.

I've watched a few of the videos. Problem is, I have HughesNet satellite internet and it's not very fast and they limit you on the amount you can download. DSL an Cable are not available at my house.

I 'was' favoring the LnL because it appeared it was much easier/faster to change calibers. It also appeared that it's much cheaper to add another caliber to the arsenal. I hadn't even thought about the 650 because Brian's page recommended against it for the new reloader. Guess it's time for a second look and more reading. I do a LOT more reading than posting. It's like my Dad said years ago, "If your lips are moving,,,, you aren't learning anything."

No hurry in getting anything real soon. My son and I have been collecting our brass, though.

So I knew to some degree you were going to say that. Faster conversion, cheaper conversions. Cost is cost. It is what it is. Dillon isn't going to apologize for it either. Conversion speed is a little deceiving. The LnL has a PITA powder measure to adjust for flare. It's not as bad if you flare in a separate step. But I hated adjusting that powder measure on the LnL. Dillon holds it's adjustment when you move powder measure from one to the next. LnL is cheaper for a micrometer. Yep, it cost less. Dillon is not hard to convert. Keep in mind all the things that people are going to list as pros and cons of each press are "features". In the end the purpose of a press is loading ammo. In that regard the Dillon beats the LnL because it works. LnL is hit or miss in the regard.
Old 01-09-2012, 23:09   #15
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
So I knew to some degree you were going to say that. Faster conversion, cheaper conversions. Cost is cost. It is what it is. Dillon isn't going to apologize for it either. Conversion speed is a little deceiving.
I think Steve has a very succinct way of saying very accurate things.

Yes, don't be "fooled" because a caliber conversion is faster or a little cheaper. If the press doesn't work as reliably as a whole, then what do you have... an inferior product.

I was impressed with my buddy's LNL when I got to use it... but it's no 650.

Quote:
Old 01-10-2012, 19:18   #16
mizer67

If you NEVER, EVER, plan on getting a case feeder, the LNL is more attractive to me than the 550, if you get one that will seat primers 100% of the time, which is a big caveat as mine wouldn't do so.

Everything on the LNL feeds from the left, you get auto-indexing, cases are right under your nose to inspect, the machine is dirt simple with few parts to break, costs less, caliber conversions are cheaper and faster, it indexes smoother and spills less powder and you get a better, easier to adjust and convert (IMO) powder measure. You're going to basically lose a station as you'll want to bell in a separate step, but it's not a big deal unless you have plans to use a powder check or bullet feeder. Of course, the biggest differentiator between a 550 and an LNL is auto-indexing to me. I can't see buying a progressive press without it.

A case fed LNL does not compare well to a case fed XL650. The XL650 is designed for a case feeder, and it shows. The LNL's was an afterthought, and it shows also. The XL650 also has much more primer seating leverage, and will seat them below flush, 100% of the time, which makes use with striker fired guns much more pleasing.

Last edited by mizer67; 01-10-2012 at 19:23..
mizer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 19:38   #17
Colorado4Wheel

I hate doing it all from the left. I much prefer the 550 in that regard. To each their own.
Old 01-10-2012, 20:15   #18
mizer67

Quote:
I hate doing it all from the left. I much prefer the 550 in that regard. To each their own.
Well, I am left handed.

I have my most dextrous hand doing the tasks that require fine motor function. It works for me.
mizer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 20:20   #19
Colorado4Wheel

I think it's just a matter of what you start with and get used to.
Old 01-10-2012, 21:02   #20
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
If you NEVER, EVER, plan on getting a case feeder, the LNL is more attractive to me than the 550, if you get one that will seat primers 100% of the time, which is a big caveat as mine wouldn't do so.

Everything on the LNL feeds from the left, you get auto-indexing, cases are right under your nose to inspect, the machine is dirt simple with few parts to break, costs less, caliber conversions are cheaper and faster, it indexes smoother and spills less powder and you get a better, easier to adjust and convert (IMO) powder measure. You're going to basically lose a station as you'll want to bell in a separate step, but it's not a big deal unless you have plans to use a powder check or bullet feeder. Of course, the biggest differentiator between a 550 and an LNL is auto-indexing to me. I can't see buying a progressive press without it.

A case fed LNL does not compare well to a case fed XL650. The XL650 is designed for a case feeder, and it shows. The LNL's was an afterthought, and it shows also. The XL650 also has much more primer seating leverage, and will seat them below flush, 100% of the time, which makes use with striker fired guns much more pleasing.
I wouldn't argue this at all. But like you, I basically "compare" the LNL to a auto-indexed 550, NOT the 650. However... manually indexing is so not a big deal. If you're getting a 650 you're probably doing it for the casefeeder. And the casefeeder works great with the 650.

Casefeeder is an afterthought on both the 550 and LNL, I couldn't recommend one for either of these presses.

Lastly... the longer you've been reloading, you kinda want more bang for the buck. First 6-8 months with my 550 I was happy as I clam. Then got tired of all the "motion" it took.
  • Pull handle
  • Release handle and grab case to insert
  • Grab bullet and place
  • Pull handle

Having to let go of the handle every cycle, as well as the *focus* it takes to pick out the piece of brass you want and grab it correctly, then focus on a bullet and grab IT correctly... lot of mental focus. After 300 rounds, I was burnt.

With the 650... it's just pull the handle and place the bullet (always looking into the case for powder whether it's 550 or 650). I'm doing 300 like cake right now. I haven't done a BIG session yet, but that'll be coming soon.

Basically what I'm saying is.... that casefeeder gets to be a big deal. And the only progressive I'd buy with a reliable one is the 650 (can't afford 1050).

Quote: