SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:29   #1
plouffedaddy

Springfield TRP Review

1911 Forums

Let me just say I have a new favorite 1911!

When you first pick this gun up it just feels very well put together. Slide to frame fit is great, the grips and checkering are aggressive, the Armory Kote is attractive and all business. We all know that TRPs have been hard to come by and I had been on a wait list for about 6 months before this gun came in.

Whenever I receive a new gun I always field strip it and give it a good cleaning and lubricate the gun per the manual recommendations. That brings me to the only negative comment you will read during this review---the freaking guide rod requires a 'tool' which Springfield supplies. The tool they supplied was too long and I ended up having to cut a paper clip to use instead. I knew this before ordering the gun, but it's still annoying. To me, a 'combat' gun should not need tools to disassemble and clean.

Moving on... The interior of the gun showed no machine marks and you could tell the people at Springfield took their time when putting the gun together. The bull barrel and slide are matched together at the factory and are fitted to each other. They mark them to ensure they don't get mixed up at the factory:

1911 Forums
After cleaning and lubricating the gun (using shooters choice grease on rails, FP10 everywhere else) it was time for the range. I brought 100 rounds of Lawmens 230gr FMJ, 200 rounds of Aguila 230gr FMJ, 50 rounds of Federal 230gr FMJ, 50 rounds of Federal HST 230gr +p JHPs, and 50 rounds of Federal HST 230gr JHPs. I brought the 2 factory mags, 4 Chip McCormick Power Plus 10 rounders, 4 8 round Chip McCormick Power mags, 3 Wilson ETMs, and a Wilson 47D.

Reliability: absolutely 0 failures of any kind with any ammo/mag combination. Simply awesome. The gun didn't even get sluggish as some 1911s have a tendency to do after 150 rounds or so.
Accuracy: Superb. My first 100 rounds were fired at 10 meters at a 6'' sticky target. Well, it could have been a 4'' target because all but 1 or 2 rounds were within about 4'' but that was completely my fault. I moved it out to 25 meters which is what the gun is factory zeroed at and great accuracy continued as expected.
Trigger: The trigger is great. Very crisp break and almost 0 overtravel. The one issue I had was after about 100 rounds or so I had a hard time picking up when the trigger reset. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that it was about 35 degrees outside and my hands were kind of numb from the cold and recoil.
Recoil: This gun is over 40oz so recoil was minimal. That said, I found that (for me at least) I preferred the standard load of HSTs to the +p variety. The +p rounds just caused too much muzzle flip for my taste. The gun soaked it up but for me, I'd rather get fast follow up shots than go for the one shot knock down. Most SD situations aren't ended with one shot so I pay close attention to how fast I can get off accurate follow up shots...
Overall impressions: As you can probably guess, I love this gun. I plan on putting a few hundred more rounds through it, adding some Crimson Trace Master Series grips, a Streamlight TLR1s, and adding this gun into my HD rotation. I own well over 50 guns and only use 3 as HD guns so that's saying something... If you can find one of these guns and you can afford it, I highly recommend this gun.

For more photos and other gun reviews, visit my review page:

http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:37   #2
glock2740
Gun lover.

Congrats! I love my TRP too. Great guns.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:06   #3
itstime

Maybe this year. I keep touching one and it feels great for the price point.

It's on my list. I just scored a Kimber at a pretty price putting off the TRP for awhile.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 13:42   #4
midliferally

Congrats

Congrats. The TRP is my nightstand gun. I trust my family's life on it.. Enough said. Cheers!!
midliferally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 14:41   #5
carloglock19

That's a really nice looking 1911. I have the same markings (internally) on my NM Loaded I didn't know that's what that meant.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
BRC - 2016
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 14:46   #6
plouffedaddy

I'm waiting on some CT grips and it will be on my nightstand as well. The gun is just awesome...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 01-08-2012, 15:39   #7
leeward419

Send a message via ICQ to leeward419
Thanks for the review,
that is one is on my wish list!
Old 01-08-2012, 18:29   #8
bac1023

Very nice

Congrats!

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 19:04   #9
deadite
Groovy.

I'm not normally into those, especially the rail, but that one looks really sharp and well put together. Congrats!
Old 01-08-2012, 20:04   #10
20South

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Your experience is my experience with the one I own. It's a great pistol. Congrats!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:18   #11
CanIhaveGasCash

I have both the railed version and the non railed version of the TRP and I love them. The only issued that I have had with the railed TRP has to do with the adjustable rear sight. I would recommend ditching that ASAP as I had mine fall apart during a course of fire.

I carry my TRP on duty. It get's used and abused and only the stupid rear sight has let me down.

Enjoy your new purchase, I have close to 5,000 rounds through mine.

Another note, The parts are numbered on my NM prefix Springfield GI, I think they do it on all of their 1911's built here.
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34   #12
steve1911

Congrats! on your TRP.

1911club#410
Old 01-09-2012, 20:00   #13
plouffedaddy

Thanks! I'm hoping Springfield comes out with a new TRP model this year; it'll definitely get added to my wish list.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 01-09-2012, 21:19   #14
Tallahassee

Congrats on a great gun. That's one that's been on my list for a while now.
Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39   #15
CanIhaveGasCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
Thanks! I'm hoping Springfield comes out with a new TRP model this year; it'll definitely get added to my wish list.
Any rumors on what the new model would be?
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:03   #16
plouffedaddy

No, but they've canceled a couple models they used to make so it would make sense that they'd offer something new. Springfield said they can't fill all the orders they have for the current production models when I called the other day so they may just keep making these until they catch up with demand.

Certified Glock Armorer
Old 01-13-2012, 22:55   #17
sawgrass

Congrats! Nice gun. I bought a stainless TRP a few weeks ago and love it too. I will say it's taking a few hundred rounds of factory ammo to break it in. I picked up a Ruger and it shoots anything reliably out of the box. The TRP is a tight picky gun out of the box.
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 22:58   #18
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
Congrats! Nice gun. I bought a stainless TRP a few weeks ago and love it too. I will say it's taking a few hundred rounds of factory ammo to break it in. I picked up a Ruger and it shoots anything reliably out of the box. The TRP is a tight picky gun out of the box.
I didn't have that experience with mine. It ate (eats) everything I have ever thrown at it through a variety of different mags. Glad you got it straightened out.
Old 01-13-2012, 23:05   #19
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20South View Post
I didn't have that experience with mine. It ate (eats) everything I have ever thrown at it through a variety of different mags. Glad you got it straightened out.
I usually shoot my reloads and it didn't like them at first. After 500 rounds of factory it eats them fine. The Ruger ate them without any problems. I practice taking up the trigger space between shots. I find that I like the
trigger pull on the TRP. I shoot a couple of other 1911's that if I'm not very careful they nearly feel like a double because the trigger pull is so light.
It's difficult to go between guns at the range and get that feel down.
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote