Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2012, 20:38   #1
easyj75

lil dandy??

anyone use the lil dandy?? any pros or cons?? i'm just getting started and it looks like a good idea for a beginner..

thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 22:33   #2
bush pilot

I've been loading for many years and use a Lil Dandy all the time. They're accurate and throw loads as fast as you can turn the rotor.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 00:19   #3
F106 Fan

I have a couple of them and about 10 rotors. At one time, I loaded .45 ACP on an RCBS "Green Machine" which was an in-line progressive press. The 'Lil Dandy was part of the machine.

They have always worked well but I only did one load. I don't know why I bought all the other rotors but I did it years ago.

Richard
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22   #4
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

I just started using using the Little Dandy, and so far I like it.

It's quick and almost fool proof.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11   #5
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

The virtue of the Lil' Dandy is that it can be hand-held while charging cases. Sometimes, you want to have your rounds in a case block with fifty rounds ready to charge. In this situation, the charging can be done quickly and accurately with a lil' Dandy. You can then inspect your charges with a light and proceed to bullet seating.

However, there are only a few, specialty situations where you want to charge cases in that way.

The rotors for the Lil' Dandy are expensive, difficult to find, and must be stored. You will find that every time you start a new project where you want to use the Lil' Dandy hand-held you don't have the exact rotor you need to do the job correctly. So, you have to find some rotors or "adjust" your load to use the rotors you have on hand with the powders you have on hand. Not the safest way to do hand loading.

Bottom line, I have a little dandy that I use rarely. I keep it because there are times when it solves a problem in a loading process better than other solutions. However, it is not my main powder measure and it is not convenient for most loading processes.

If you are just starting out you should think about getting a continuously adjustable powder measure. The best powder measure I've used is the Hornady LnL. I recommend you get one of those. You'll quickly spend that amount on a lil' dandy, gathering up the rotors you need.

Last edited by Three-Five-Seven; 01-10-2012 at 09:15..
Three-Five-Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49   #6
Brucev

Once upon a time I loaded w/ the Lil Dandy. It worked well. Back then I loaded only a single load or two from my .357 Magnum revolver. It was a very good set-up. Over the years I've just simply tended to use the RCBS Uni-Flow for both handguns and rifles as it is already mounted on the bench, etc. I am currently getting ready to again start loading .38 Special ammo... for a nice S&W 15-3 that I got in a swap a few weeks ago. If at all possible, I will settle on a load that allows me to use the Lil-Dandy. I think it will make loading more convenient, faster, etc.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 21:09   #7
bdhawk

Send a message via Yahoo to bdhawk
i have two of them. i used one of them for a long time, 'till i bought my first dillon. i got my second one when i bought out a guy that was quitin' reloading. i have about 20 roters, but some are duplicates. one of them is currently on loan to a friend.

i have an abbreviated chart, supplied by rcbs, that gives you approximate powder weights for different powders with different roters. for instance, one roter was supposed to throw 10gr of unique. it really throws 9.6 gr., which is my pet .44 mag. target load. once you choose the appropriate roter, they are very accurate, fast, and easy to use.

if you are using a single stage press, they are a a big asset.

N.R.A. RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

G22 - G27 - G20 sf
bdhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 22:53   #8
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhawk View Post

i have an abbreviated chart, supplied by rcbs, that gives you approximate powder weights for different powders with different roters....
Can you explain more about this abbreviated chart?

Thank You
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 23:03   #9
bdhawk

rcbs supplies the chart. it has the weights of various powders in the different numbered roters. for instance it tells how much powder, say unique, that roters 1, 2, 3, etc., dispenses. my chart is kinda old. the newer ones have a bunch more powders on it.

just google 'rcbs, little dandy powder chart'. you can find a rcbs PDF that is the instructions for the little dandy, and it includes the chart.

G22 - G27 - G20 sf
Old 01-12-2012, 06:00   #10
Goldstar225
NRA member

I bought a little dandy in the early 80's to get away from using scoops. As long as you only use a couple of different charge weights it's fine. By the time you buy a few rotors you're up to the price of a uniflow without the versatility. I usd the little dandy for about 10 years but retired it in favor of the uniflow about 18 years ago.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06   #11
Kasinefect

Send a message via AIM to Kasinefect
I have used a Little Dandy for many years though I have a Uniflow. It is a great way to speed up reloading.
Kasinefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06   #12
thorn137
Walther

If my powder rotor was throwing 9.6gr instead of 10gr every time, I would be pissed and wonder what I was doing wrong. It sounds like a terrible solution for a beginner.

Doesn't sound dandy at all. Nay... dandyless, it is.

thorn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by thorn137; 01-12-2012 at 08:06..
thorn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34   #13
bdhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn137 View Post
If my powder rotor was throwing 9.6gr instead of 10gr every time, I would be pissed and wonder what I was doing wrong. It sounds like a terrible solution for a beginner.

Doesn't sound dandy at all. Nay... dandyless, it is.

thorn
the chart is just a guideline. if the roter throws a bit too little or a bit too much, just select another roter. you still need to use your scales. you would have the same issues with lee's powder dippers and their charts, and any other powder dispenser that uses a fixed cavity. once you find the roter that fits your needs, make a notation in your records and you are good to go.

powders change in density over the years

G22 - G27 - G20 sf