Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:19   #1
527varmint

G-20 and 10mm a love hate relationship

I have had my g20 about 2 years now. I like the gun and shoot it very well but I'm thinking of trading it off.

I like alot about it. I shoot it well, its dead reliable, and I love being able to shoot 22lr and 40 sw with the same gun.

After I have carried it in the field and around camp many times I have decided that I probably should have got the G-29. The reason is the long grip is uncomfortable with strong side carry when I sit down as it presses into the chair when sitting and by the end of the day causes my back to hurt(I have a serious back injury). While hunting and carrying the gun on my hip the g20 is fine but less weight would be better. When I carry it in a chest holster the dang grip is just a little too long and gets in the way of the calls around my neck and sometimes my long gun. In addition, while sitting with a chest holster its is too large with the barrel pressing into my gut and grip in the way again. I shoot the G20 so well that I think I can handle a 29 even though there is no place for the pinky.

Aside from the issues of hauling such a large gun around there is a large area of the state that is lead free. There are no lead free loads suitable for defense from bear and hog backup. Why doesn't barnes make a 180 gr TSX!? Last there are no snake loads available. After running into a few rattlers this year and taking them out with my shotgun I thought if I would of had to let him live. I would really like my first round to be snake shot and this also provides a warning as blackbear usualy are not that aggresive and a loud noise is usualy all that is needed.

So with all this in mind I'm considering trading the gun off for a G-29 or maybe moving up to a 44mag, 45 LC, or similar.

what do you guys think? Ideal would be a g29 for the desert and a 44mag for bear country but I can't afford to be invested in 2 handguns. I also thought a 44 mag is very good for hunting and that could be cool. Downside is a 44mag is heavy and big.

I sleep better in bear country with a 10mm under my pillow!

Last edited by 527varmint; 01-10-2012 at 02:21..
527varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:05   #2
Maine1

i'd be REALLY reluctant to give up full size sight radius and full size grip. Sounds like you need to adjust the rake of your holster.

You wil save very little weight with the 29, and lose sight radius too. I just can't grow to love the compacts like the full size guns.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32   #3
arushus
Biggest Member

I dont see anything wrong with going to a G29. And Im pretty sure there are .40sw birdshot loads available. If this is the case, you should consider using the .40cal birdshot on top of a mag full of 10mm. Im sure your barrel will handle one .40sw birdshot load every now and then just fine!
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:34   #4
arushus
Biggest Member

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...oduct1581.html

found some 40sw birdshot here...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30   #5
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
For your uses, I'd suggest staying with a 10mm Glock.... The G20 and G29 are basically the same accuracy but the G29 definitely has a smaller grip. You shouldn't have any accuracy issues with either model. The .44 will bee too much for what it SOUNDS like you're using it for. Way too much.

Just my .02
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15   #6
Jitterbug

If snakes are an issue, you might want to consider handling a Ruger BH or SBH while you're at it in .357, .41, .44 or .45 Colt. Used prices on these tend to be under $400.

Might be fine and I'm sure there is someway to make a 10mm birdshot load and it's something you might want to try out first, but I'd be concerned with the semi choking with the bird shot up front.

If snakes are around they are probably more of a hazard then a bear.

Not sure of the all copper bullets or pellets, but you might find a bullet in .44

I've got to wonder just how many Condor's have really died due to lead poisoning.

Last edited by Jitterbug; 01-10-2012 at 09:22..
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42   #7
Jdog

I also love my G20 but hate that it's huge & heavy. I'm considering a lighter weight & more compact solution. I'm eyeing down a S&W .44mag mountain gun revolver w/scandium frame or a 340pd .357mag. Check those two guns out and tell me what ya think!
Jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04   #8
Ethereal Killer

1- you cant shoot a 40 in a 10mm barrel, but they do make the shot "projectiles" that could be loaded.
2- it sounds like you have more HOLSTER issues than gun issues. a decent kydex holster can solve most of your problems. Check out Dale Fricke Holsters. a phone call or email will answer your questions
3-they dont make a barnes 180gr because of the length that would be required. the copper bullets perform differently than typical jacketed bullets do in that they penetrate deeper with less weight because of the petal design. a 165 barnes will perform similarly to a 180gr gold dot/XTP
4- if you want a revolver, may I reccomend a 454 Casull chambering. it can shoot 45 colt all day with no problems yet you still have the option of bumping up in power. chamberings in that caliber have one of the widest ranges of commercially available power choices of any revolver if you consider the 45 colt loads, ans snake shot is among them.
5- a decent leather thigh/cowboy holster and cartridge belt combo for a magnum revolver has always worked really well for me and stays put, doesnt interfere with sitting and is quick to draw from. you just dont feel the wieght when it's properly holstered and the leather keeps it from sliding around on your leg. I hike with one all the time.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:16   #9
arushus
Biggest Member

Yes, you can shoot .40sw in a 10mm barrel, it has been done quite a bit. Just not something I would do every day. But in a pinch, it works great!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23   #10
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Yes, you can shoot .40sw in a 10mm barrel, it has been done quite a bit. Just not something I would do every day. But in a pinch, it works great!
It might "work" but its unsafe. Many have done it but I have always recommended against it. You are forcing the round to "jump the gap" of the chamber.... and putting a lof of strain on the extractor, as well.

I only fire rounds out of a barrel if that barrel says the caliber on it. Period. YMMV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-10-2012, 15:27   #11
stevenm2

I have a 329 pd 4" skandia frame titanium cyl. 44 magnum with a great holster. LNIB
I would be willing to take your G20 as partial trade.( I am thinking of a longslide project)
let me know
Old 01-10-2012, 15:50   #12
swinokur

Buy a 15 round mag with an A & G mag sleeve if you need a woods gun and switch to the 10 round mag for carry. Best of both worlds
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 16:50   #13
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

To answer the part about the Barnes with "No 180gr"...these all copper bullets are very long to get the weights they have! The 140gr Barnes is as long as the 200grain XTP at 0.680" in length! The 155's are even longer! This occupies the space normally used of podwer to provide the energy to shove them faster.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 18:19   #14
527varmint

Well some good info here.

The scandium frame 44mags look sweet but a little out of my price range. The 44 does have a lead free available that would be good for hunting.

I knew that copper bullets are longer but did not realize they are that long! I figured if you can do 220 grains of lead then 180 grain would of copper would be good. I realize their iperformance is better. However, I think the copper 10mm bullets are built to expand for self defense. I don't think they are like a TSX that is designed to penetrate. I would feel pretty good with 155 or 165 TSX.

I guess I really only run into snakes in the desert and lion country. In that situation I could just carry the 40 sw barrel with snake shot.

I have a very nice simply rugged holster. Its really comfortable while walking but sitting in the lawn chair at camp that dang grip is in the way. I could carry crossdraw but for some reason it is not comfortable for me.

Here is my holster.

The 10 Ring

Old 01-10-2012, 20:19   #15
MHWASH

527, I was in the same boat as you. I sold my G20 about a month ago and just got the G29 this weekend. Until I shot the 29 the next day I forgot how much I like the 10mm.

I have a Simply Rugged for a SP 101, and agree it's not very comfortable.
MHWASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 20:42   #16
blastfact

Lead Free.... You mean shot right?
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 21:36   #17
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by 527varmint View Post
I have had my g20 about 2 years now. I like the gun and shoot it very well but I'm thinking of trading it off.

I like alot about it. I shoot it well, its dead reliable, and I love being able to shoot 22lr and 40 sw with the same gun.

After I have carried it in the field and around camp many times I have decided that I probably should have got the G-29. The reason is the long grip is uncomfortable with strong side carry when I sit down as it presses into the chair when sitting and by the end of the day causes my back to hurt(I have a serious back injury). While hunting and carrying the gun on my hip the g20 is fine but less weight would be better. When I carry it in a chest holster the dang grip is just a little too long and gets in the way of the calls around my neck and sometimes my long gun. In addition, while sitting with a chest holster its is too large with the barrel pressing into my gut and grip in the way again. I shoot the G20 so well that I think I can handle a 29 even though there is no place for the pinky.

Aside from the issues of hauling such a large gun around there is a large area of the state that is lead free. There are no lead free loads suitable for defense from bear and hog backup. Why doesn't barnes make a 180 gr TSX!? Last there are no snake loads available. After running into a few rattlers this year and taking them out with my shotgun I thought if I would of had to let him live. I would really like my first round to be snake shot and this also provides a warning as blackbear usualy are not that aggresive and a loud noise is usualy all that is needed.

So with all this in mind I'm considering trading the gun off for a G-29 or maybe moving up to a 44mag, 45 LC, or similar.

what do you guys think? Ideal would be a g29 for the desert and a 44mag for bear country but I can't afford to be invested in 2 handguns. I also thought a 44 mag is very good for hunting and that could be cool. Downside is a 44mag is heavy and big.
I shot a 44 Mag, now a 629 for about 30 years. Still think it is a little light for
big bears, maybe black. Big it is a great round.
Old 01-11-2012, 19:51   #18
527varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Lead Free.... You mean shot right?
No, not lead free shot. We can use lead shot. You cannot posses centerfire ammunition thath contains lead.

I think the 29 would be the ticket. Its size will keep it out of the way. The 44mag is just too heavy. Maybe I should try a new holster first. We can't even carry 15 rounds anyways, its 10 only in CA. Problem is I want to trade and will never find one in OD green. I have to check if they even make an OD g29.

Old 01-11-2012, 19:53   #19
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 527varmint View Post
No, not lead free shot. We can use lead shot. You cannot posses centerfire ammunition thath contains lead.

I think the 29 would be the ticket. Its size will keep it out of the way. The 44mag is just too heavy. Maybe I should try a new holster first. We can't even carry 15 rounds anyways, its 10 only in CA. Problem is I want to trade and will never find one in OD green. I have to check if they even make an OD g29.
I didn't realize you can only have 10rds. Simple decision then. Also, they DID make ODG29's but they are kinda rare I hear.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-11-2012, 20:49   #20
purrrfect 10

I will never give up my G20 10mm but add and add until I have all the options I want. That is the beauty of this awesome pistol...

I really think if you shoot it like you say you do, you are in love with it as much as I am with mine.
You have answered part of your problem with the 40 cal barrel and shot. There are so many situation we ALL say a different cal is best Cmon that is the best part of shooting ((((( spice of life is verity))))) The 20 offers the most you can get in a single pistol. Power for the hunt is there along with 50 other situation.

I got the glock combat holster when I got my G20. Looked cheap but did the job at first but no give at all, slide exposed and for me not enough retention. I even had it pop up once getting into the truck I guess it it the female part of my seat belt. I tried many holsters and looked for months be for buying my hunter OWB. It turn out to be just what I was looking for thumb snap retention is fast as lighting same all one motion and flawless, the holster cover the whole side, proper cant, single fat wide belt loop, to me it is perfect. Not saying it is the best just works perfect every day for me. I cant see getting anything else. So perhaps think holster. OR

Dude can't believe anyone would think about giving up their G20 because of a F-in lawn chair. CUT A HOLE IN THAT DAMN CHAIR AND BLOWN THAT FRICKIN RATTLERS HEAD OFF.

G-20 FOR LIFE I know you wont sell it.
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote