Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2012, 22:03   #1
ARP

Derringer anyone?

Was at a big gun show this weekend. After wading thru the mass of humanity and searching a long time for a few items and coming up mostly empty(found a 15rd mag for my 1Gen 19) did not find a holster I like as it just was not the right setting, no way to return it if I don't like it. Was also looking for a few other things, ran across a vendor showing small caliber semi autos and a derringer that you could switch barrels. It looked like such a cool gun. I did not buy on the spot, wanted to research a bit, I want the 9mm in flat black with the long bore and rosewood grips. www.cobrapistols.net
ARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:09   #2
Scott3670

I've shot derringers in both 3567 and 44mag. I wouldn't do this again if the Victoria's Secret models offered to take me to lunch afterward. Think of it this way - each time I pulled the trigger it was like a small nuclear device went off in my hand. Not fun at all.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:35   #3
USDefender
Lay Them Waste!

I wouldn't give more than $50-$100 for a Cobra Derringer. Any more than that and you're better off going with a NAA Mini-Revolver. Way better quality, and more shots before having to reload.

(*Remember: Guns like these are very difficult to reload under duress. They are ONLY for 'last ditch' situations, at best.) In a situation like that, I'd rather have five shots of a smaller caliber than two of a larger.

But then, that may just be me.

*Edited to say that I also agree with Scott3670. Shooting larger, service-size calibers out of a darringer is not fun... And you certainly wouldn't want to plink with it for any amount of time. But-- the one really good thing about them is, they can easily be hidden in places that other 'small' handguns can't. Just trying to look at both sides.

Last edited by USDefender; 02-05-2012 at 22:44..
USDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:44   #4
MNBud

This is just a personal opinion, but I would look at a Bond arms derringer before I made any decisions.I did quite a bit of research on derringers and ended up with the Bond Arms in 357 magnum.

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 22:55   #5
9jeeps
Fogey

If you only have one or two shots..... I would highly recommend a Shotgun.

Do your research. I saw a video of a Jewelery store robbery a time ago. After he missed with his two shots..... He had to run out the back or he was dead meat. That told me all I wanted to know about Derringers
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 00:11   #6
Caver 60

If I can hide a derringer, I can hide a P3AT. Except for the cool factor, I personally don't see much sense in derringers.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 00:24   #7
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

If you want a derringer, check out Bond Arms. Awesome for what it is.

If you want a carry gun for self defense, get something with higher capacity even if you have to compromise on caliber.

General Firearms Forum

Something like 22 barrel options in about 17 calibers, all interchangable.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:08   #8
sourdough44

I had one in 357, shot 38s in it. That was one of the very few guns I ever sold or traded. I traded it to a guy who did the cowboy action shooting, no regrets.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42   #9
ca survivor

Don't know if is the same company now, but Titan revolvers, long time ago, where junk.
ca survivor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45   #10
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
If I can hide a derringer, I can hide a P3AT. Except for the cool factor, I personally don't see much sense in derringers.
Agreed. The Bonds are really big guns and clearly not the derringers of our great grandfathers.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22   #11
M2 Carbine

I have a Bond Arms Derringer in 45ACP. Well made gun with nice features like being able to switch calibers.

Down side is the weight, size and a derringer is a awkward gun to handle and shoot and is slow to reload.

The Bond is quality made but expensive.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12   #12
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
I have a Bond Arms Derringer in 45ACP. Well made gun with nice features like being able to switch calibers.

Down side is the weight, size and a derringer is a awkward gun to handle and shoot and is slow to reload.

The Bond is quality made but expensive.
+1 I really had a hard on for the Bond Arms derringer.

Its bigger and better built than most other derringers. I also think it's safer to shoot, handle and carry then other derringers.

I don't think it too big, considering it can safely handle shooting big bore calibers like 45acp, .45colt, .410shotshells, .357 and .44special, but with the texas/cowboy defender models you are taking a 20oz steel brick that is 1 1/2" at the grips but the length and size of most small caliber pocket guns. He is a pic comparing the cowboy defender to a Seecamp

General Firearms Forum

But you figure some pocket .45acp by Kahr, Glock and Taurus weigh around 20oz are a tad thinner and just an inch or so more in length and height. Same thing with some big bore snubbie revolvers. So do you want something that is small with limited capacity, and will be harder to shot a quick followup shot, or do you want something that is a tad bigger with more capacity that is easier to shoot. Think of the difference between carrying a 15lb bowling ball and a 15lb baby. Its a PITA when height is concentrated, instead of spread out. I'm still debating going the Bond Arms route or getting a pocket big bore gun, or snubbie.

BTW thanks to GT member PlayboyPenguin for these awesome pics.

Seecamp vs Kahr MK40
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:26   #13
CharlestonG26

The smallest Bond derringer (Mini model) weighs 18 oz. Most of the other Bond models weigh 20 to 22 oz.

While I admit to having a curious interest in derringers...there are much, much better options for concealed-carry SD.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi
CharlestonG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 13:11   #14
4 glocks

30+ years ago I bought a Excam .38 spl. Derringer. You could not hit anything with it past a few feet. Recoil way heavy and the 1 follow up shot was slow. I sold it before it broke. If you want a small BUG there are much better options. Ruger LCP is about the same size and 1/2 the weight with 7 rounds compaired to 2 rounds and you can hit a target with the LCP.
There was a time in history when a Derringer made a good BUG but that time has long gone.
Old 02-06-2012, 13:18   #15
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

While I am not knocking American Derringer Corp. for shoddy products, I believe my issue was more ammunition related, Having a well made derringer is a good idea, because of the close proximity of the chamber to things that could be blown off if things went bad.

General Firearms Forum

Fortunately the only permanent injury I sustain is a right thumbnail that tends to split when it grows out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Bullman; 02-06-2012 at 13:20..
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 13:24   #16
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

General Firearms Forum

Another view.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 17:32   #17
JDSTG58

Last edited by JDSTG58; 01-18-2013 at 17:38..
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 18:43   #18
Berto
woo woo

Cool goof-off guns, maybe useful for golf in snake country or something.....mine actually shoots pretty well, but I wouldn't carry it for protection when i have better options.

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-06-2012, 19:01   #19
hogship
It's MY Island

Berto and I see "eye to eye" on this one.......I purchased an original DA by BJT (prior to American Derringer purchasing the rights to produce it) a couple years ago, and I did so strictly for the collectibility of it. IMHO, this is the finest derringer ever made, and the final step in the evolutionary progression of the two-shot derringer. It's a great little conversation piece, but I have no intention of ccw'ing it........(might consider it as a back-up, and for a lark, but not as a primary........Never carried it for the first time yet, though!)

ooc

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

Last edited by hogship; 02-06-2012 at 19:05..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 19:08   #20
elde
Lifetime Membership

I have the Bond .45LC / .410 derringer with a crossdraw holster. Use it as a car gun. Reminds me somewhat of the old pics of Hiroshima whenever I pull the trigger.
elde is offline   Reply With Quote