Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:38   #1
CAcop

Boot Knives

Anybody got suggestions besides the Ka-Bar TDI ankle knife?

After an ACT training I figured I would pick one up because they were showing how hard it is going to be grabbing a backup gun if you were fighting someone over your gun on your back if you have your BUG on your vest.

I have tried the large TDI on my bat belt but I am convinved that only works if you are a beanpole. I haven't been a beanpole since HS and I am hardly a fatty.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50   #2
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I have the Gerber REALLY old boot knife in the Hard plastic sheath from the 80's it is a double sided Dagger with metal handle..

looks like this only blade is polished..

Old 01-12-2012, 09:55   #3
OXCOPS

Get a CRKT Bear Claw!!!! I carried one on my belt behind my dual mag pouch. Handle stuck up just to the top level of the mags. I have a full serrated blade/sharp tip and LOVE it. Also makes quick work of seat belts, rope, or anything else you need to cut in an emergency.

The clip is reversable to allow you to put it just about anywhere.

Cop Talk
OXCOPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05   #4
CAcop

Thanks OX but I should have mentioned doubled edged knives are a no-no in CA. Carrying a fixed blade concealed theoretically is against the law for a police officer in CA.

Also I need a good way to carry it so it won't fall off easy.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 01-12-2012 at 10:06..
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12   #5
OXCOPS

If it has to be a folder, I would suggest the CRKT M-16 series with tanto tip. They come in a couple of different sizes. I have the larger size and really like it. Good weight and balance. I actually carried it before I got the Bear Claw.

Opens fast with one finger. Belt clip is strong. I carried mine during several fights. Never once came loose.

http://www.crkt.com/M16-14-Special-F...eff-Combo-Edge
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15   #6
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Can you have an Automatic knife, if it is for self defense in a life or death I would suggest an Auto opening OR and Emerson waved Commander.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35   #7
CAcop

It does not have to be a folder. I said technically because no DA is going to jam up a cop or solid citizen for a boot knife.

Strangely switchblades, automtics, etc. are looked upon as more evil and I am not sure you can even find them in the state even thought you can possess them in your own home.

I have thought of assisted openers for the belt where I keep my current folder. The Sog Flash looks promising. Maybe I could put it on the boot.

Maybe I shouldn't restrict you guys with the types of knives. Maybe you guys will give me food for thought with something I haven't thought of.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52   #8
OXCOPS

The M-16 knives aren't assisted opening. They are standard folders, but are easier to open than the traditional thumb stud on the side of the blade.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54   #9
Sharkey

Hadn't worked the street in 10 years but never found anything on my ankle/calf comfortable or easy to get to.

Just an Idea: You carry a folder on one side, why not another one on the other? If both were the same, say a Spdyerco, opening them would be relatively easy with either hand.

Rolling around one day grappling, I found it possible to utilize the drone I had for training.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:47   #10
4FTTY4

I have a Derespina Model 10 karambit that I carry behind my mag pouches. It lays flatter than the ka-bar knives, is accessible with both hands, and has a ring on the handle that makes for excellent retention. They're hard to find, but still out there. There are other companies that make similar knives that might work for you.
4FTTY4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51   #11
DoogieHowser
Eh

This is the rescue version of the M16 from Columbia, this one has some better steel in it than the standard one.

AUS 8 steel, amazing stuff and it has an orange handle to find it if you drop it (I havn't) and the cord/belt cutter flipper plus a ceramic window punch.

Last edited by DoogieHowser; 01-12-2012 at 11:53..
DoogieHowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:01   #12
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
It does not have to be a folder. I said technically because no DA is going to jam up a cop or solid citizen for a boot knife.
They may not jam you for mere possession, but stand by if you ever stab anyone to death with a knife. This topic has come up on our Department, and they would rather see you shoot someone with a gun than stab someone to death with a dagger or switchblade. The press would crucify us.
Old 01-12-2012, 13:59   #13
Hollywood D

I think getting to any backup gun thats on your vest or ankle will be almost impossible to get to in a fight. I keep knives on each side for stabbin' (assuming I can't get to my primary gun).

Phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Hollywood D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 14:19   #14
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR View Post
They may not jam you for mere possession, but stand by if you ever stab anyone to death with a knife. This topic has come up on our Department, and they would rather see you shoot someone with a gun than stab someone to death with a dagger or switchblade. The press would crucify us.
We specifically wrote knives into our policy under "other weapons or weapons of opportunity"to cover having to use a knife, sword or trident... if available
Old 01-12-2012, 14:42   #15
samarai

Emerson Combat Karambit

Carried one of these as soon as I was able to get my hands on one. Fastest deploying folder I've ever used. While at work, I always carried it in my pocket on my "reaction" side in case someone tried to snatch my duty gun out of it's holster. Supposedly tis item is standard issue for Air Marshals. Once you've got that sucker out and locked into your hand, you can use standard boxing punches without having to cant the knife at some weird angle like a straight edge. They aren't cheap, about $200.00 and in most cases they seem to be sold out. Check them out on Youtube to get a better idea.
samarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:40   #16
CAcop

The trainer made some really good points about back up weapons in places other than the torso area due to inaccessability in a fight. That is to say if you and some other dude are essentially bear hugging each other it is not going to be too easy to grab. Then if you end up on the ground it might be easier with one on the leg.

As of right now I have a .38 on my vest that is crossdraw essentially. I can get to that while upright with the suspect not bear hugging me. I have a simple folder behind the mag pouches but that is not really that fast. Maybe back pocket would be good for that. The boot/ankle knife would more or less be the worst case/last ditch knife.

Strangly at my department just about everyone carries a knife for back up a more than a few carry fixed blades.

I am begining to think a good folder, possibly assisted opener, would be best considering the politics of this state. Assisted openers got written in as specifically not being switchblades because they hold the blade closed until you actually push on the blade.
Old 01-12-2012, 15:59   #17
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

One of these in a pocket, clip one in your off side boot, and velcro a TDI to your chest.

http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw

I have been through a police knife defense school locally.

They teach that we should have an edged weapon available on the low mid and high parts of our body, staggered L/R.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:00   #18
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

That Kershaw is about $50 at Wal*Mart.

I have three. One in black/tanto with a 550 lanyard for patrol.

One in black and FDE, plain blade for off duty and I bought my wife one in black/OD for her OD green purse.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:12   #19
ray9898

I carry an Spyderco Endura Wave in a weak side pocket. Very high quality knife that opens automatically when pulled from the pocket due to the blade design. No springs, buttons or safeties to worry about, not an "automatic", and is just as fast as any fixed blade out there.

Cop Talk

Cop Talk

Last edited by ray9898; 01-12-2012 at 16:18..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 17:14   #20
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
One of these in a pocket, clip one in your off side boot, and velcro a TDI to your chest.

http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw

I have been through a police knife defense school locally.

They teach that we should have an edged weapon available on the low mid and high parts of our body, staggered L/R.
That's kind of what I was thinking in regards to placement. Left boot, right waist/pocket, left vest just with the vest being my BUG. Then the order in which I grab from they is top to bottom in terms of SHTF.