Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28   #1
glocker1321

reloading some 40 s&w

I was wanting to know if anyone had loaded any of the nosler 150 gr hp 40s&w with unique powder.

I bought the nosler manual but its like 5 years old and there is only 7 different powders they use and of course not unique.

My sierra manual has 150 gr hp has unique listed. Would I be alright using there info for the powder I want to use?

I am reloading for a glock 23 gen 4 and I do have the Lwd barrel. I have read that the gen 4 have to be more on the max side to function properly. I loaded some 180 gr sierra hp using unigue 6.0 grs which was .3 under the max and had a few failure to feed. some of my cases looked like they were maybe catching the lip on the top of the barrel and maybe the slide was catching the spent case and jamming it into the top lip. take a look at the pic. do i need to put the extra .1 or .2 grains in some more loads and see what happens or change powder. the next slower powder I have would be wsf. coal was at 1.125 +/- .001 The cases where new starline never fired.

I've been reloading for a few years now but new to 40 s&w. so anyone with the nosler bullets 150 gr hp and hornady hp xtp 155 gr. using unique powder if you could pass on some useful information that would be great.

Sorry for such a long post and all the questions. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Reloading - Click for larger version   Reloading - Click for larger version  
glocker1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:33   #2
rpgman
SCGLOCK

sorry I can't help but I use 165gr Precision Delta FMJ in my .40 S&W.

I use 6.1gr of Unique in that load.
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 13:00   #3
Colorado4Wheel

Be prepared to load on the warm side for a Gen 4. Personally, I would re-spring the gun. They are way over sprung. But those are your two choices.
Old 01-12-2012, 13:20   #4
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

My Lee book lists loads for a 150gr Jacketed with Unique.
Starting load is 7.2grs and max is listed at 8.0 grs @ 1245 fps, 34,000 psi.
Old 01-12-2012, 14:04   #5
glocker1321

thanks, the Lee book sounds like one I need to pick up sometime. I have heard others ask questions and nobody really has a reply and somebody always says their lee book says...........

Franks does that Lee book say for round nose and hp? Should be the same right?

Anyone shoot those Hornady xtp hp 155 gr with Unique for a glock 23 gen 4.

I reload for my nine mainly b/c I got a few hundred bullets from hornady free and my ruger sr9 really loves those bullets with 4.4 gr of bullseye
Old 01-12-2012, 23:10   #6
glocker1321

well I decided to run to the store and just get some aa 5 and some power pistol and go by the nosler book. We'll see what happens here in a few days.

I can't believe nobody has had a comment on the cases that are messed up. could it be that I started to hot and the slide is slamming back faster and catching the case as it is ejected or not enough powder and the slide is not coming back far enough.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 23:24   #7
Colorado4Wheel

Doesn't sound like you started to hot to me. Mangled cases are a result of your rounds getring caught by the slide and hitting the ejector.
Old 01-12-2012, 23:41   #8
squirreld

I'm running 5.8 of unique behind a 180 gr PD FMJ.
I'm with C4W, I don't think its your load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Part 2

Last edited by squirreld; 01-12-2012 at 23:41..
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 23:58   #9
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Some time in the future try Longshot, good for medium to max loads for the 180gr bullets in 40S&W. Works very well in my G22RTF and pretty decent in my G20SF.
Old 01-13-2012, 00:14   #10
glocker1321

I made up some test loads from 7.7 to 8.5 in .2 gr increments. the 7.7 was the lowest and 8.7 was the highest for the AA-5. this is for the nosler 150 gr hp per the nosler manual.

Maybe it will warm up a bit enough to shoot and see what happens. I would just like to find something that my gen 4 likes. The nosler manual says that aa-5 at 8.7 was the most accurate out of the 7 powders listed.

If it don't like it I might have to try the Power Pistol. thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 00:20   #11
glocker1321

it looks like the case was catching the top lip of the chamber. thats what the pic is showing. Like the slide was mashing it mouth first into the top. Not sure by what you are meaning by hitting the extractor. I don't think it would make teeth marks in the mouth. lol I'm about to give up on those 180 grs anyway. cost to much. Just wanting something to work good with good accuracy (don't we all) just to play around with shooting some steel targets.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07   #12
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocker1321 View Post
it looks like the case was catching the top lip of the chamber. thats what the pic is showing. Like the slide was mashing it mouth first into the top. Not sure by what you are meaning by hitting the extractor. I don't think it would make teeth marks in the mouth. lol I'm about to give up on those 180 grs anyway. cost to much. Just wanting something to work good with good accuracy (don't we all) just to play around with shooting some steel targets.
I really like my. 40 load in my Gen4 G27.
165gr Precision Delta FMJ with 6.3gr of Unique.
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28   #13
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

The Lee manual simply says "150gr Jacketed" so I guess flat point, truncated cone or hp would all be fine. The way I normally load is "middle of the road" so I'd go 7.5grs or 7.6grs with a 150gr bullet and call it a day. That puts you in the middle of the range of the powder charge so it should be safe in most guns and will give you enough power to cycle the action and burn the powder. Remember, Unique isn't that good with light loads so stay in the middle.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:46   #14
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

I have no idea about 4th Gen Glocks, but my 3rd gen Glock .40s will swallow anything from 5.5 grains Unique on up to (and past) max.

(Under a 150 grain bullet).

Last edited by Steve Koski; 01-13-2012 at 11:47..
Steve Koski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 13:20   #15
glocker1321

I want to thank everyone for all the great information.

I had one more question about the crimping part. I have the Hornady die set that has the taper crimp built into the seating die. I took it apart and cleaned it really good when I received it. When I set it up just like the special instruction say, and then reset it after you go through all the steps, I am haveing a hell of a time getting the case out. Almost like it is sticking in the floating seating stem. Kinda haft to hit the handle on the press to get the cases to release. When I measure, and I don't recall the measurement, It really isn't much of a change on the mouth. and I do mean the very very edge is were I am measuring. I don't want to mess up and pull the head off the case. So I have just seated my bullets w/o the crimp, and went back to crimping (with the same die) but screwing the seating depth adjustment up so it would seat anymore.

Is this a common problem for the all in one seating and crimping dies?

I bought a redding taper crimp die but haven't got it yet. Hope that fixes the problem.
Old 01-13-2012, 16:18   #16
ColoCG

I load a 155gr. Berry's on top of 6.5gr. Unique at col. of 1.127" in Glock 23 and a Kahr CW40. Both feed and shoot great.

Don't no about your crimping problem, I'm not familiar with hornady's seating and crimping die or whether it is different than RCBS or Lee's but I have never had such a problem. Sounds like it's not adjusted correctly.

Last edited by ColoCG; 01-13-2012 at 16:27..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 16:29   #17
glocker1321

colocg is that with a gen 4 or 3? the only reason I ask is b/c the gen 4 supposedly has to have a little hotter load to make it work alright. thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 16:34   #18
ColoCG

Quote:
colocg is that with a gen 4 or 3? the only reason I ask is b/c the gen 4 supposedly has to have a little hotter load to make it work alright. thanks

Sorry, my 23 isn't a Gen 4 it's a Gen 3
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 17:15   #19
PCJim

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for all the great information.

I had one more question about the crimping part. I have the Hornady die set that has the taper crimp built into the seating die. I took it apart and cleaned it really good when I received it. When I set it up just like the special instruction say, and then reset it after you go through all the steps, I am haveing a hell of a time getting the case out. Almost like it is sticking in the floating seating stem. Kinda haft to hit the handle on the press to get the cases to release. When I measure, and I don't recall the measurement, It really isn't much of a change on the mouth. and I do mean the very very edge is were I am measuring. I don't want to mess up and pull the head off the case. So I have just seated my bullets w/o the crimp, and went back to crimping (with the same die) but screwing the seating depth adjustment up so it would seat anymore.

Is this a common problem for the all in one seating and crimping dies?

I bought a redding taper crimp die but haven't got it yet. Hope that fixes the problem.
I don't use Hornady dies (although I do have some Pacific dies lying around). It certainly shouldn't be trying to hang up inside the die.

The easiest setup for adjusting a seating/crimping die is:

Back the seating/crimping die out several turns so that it will not make contact with a case when the ram is raised, temporarily lock in place. Place a case with bullet to be seated in the shellholder/shellplate, raise ram. You should not feel any contact from die. Adjust the bullet seating plug lower until you make contact with the bullet.

Lower ram, adjust seating plug lower, fully raise ram to start bullet seating. Lower ram, check COL. Repeat until you attain the desired COL. Back seating plug out several turns so that it will not make contact with the bullet in the next step.

Fully raise ram with seated bullet, screw the die body down until you feel it make contact with the case. Lock the die into position while leaving ram raised. Adjust the bullet seating plug until you feel the plug make contact with the bullet, lock the plug adjusting nut.

The die is now set for this particular profile/weight bullet for both seating and crimping in one operation. Should the crimp need to be adjusted, back the seating plug adjuster out a bit, screw die body in/out for the desired effect, reset the seating plug adjuster and lock in place.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 22:04   #20
glocker1321

thanks I will have to try that. but it might just be easier sense I should have the taper crimp die tomorrow.

I was more or less thinking of calling either Hornady or Midway and see what I should do about it. I still think I have it set up right but I could be wrong. I just don't think it should be hard to get out. doesn't make any sense.