GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 18:04   #1
chucky2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
US Gen4 Glock 20 Info

(I still have not gone to the somewhat nearby rental range and shot a bunch of pistols to see which one I like best, so I might not even get a Glock/Glock 20, however, thought I'd pass this on.)

I wrote Glock US and asked when their Gen4 Glock 20/29 would be released, and they promptly wrote me back (a good thing) and said they could not say, that Glock Austria made the call on that.

So I looked around on Glock Austria's website, and the only e-mail address I could find was this Impressum@glock.com e-mail address. I figured what the heck, I'll try asking them. A few days after the auto-reply, I did end up getting a response (which after receiving it, and asking if I could share it, I received no reply), here it is:

Thanks for your interest in our products and company.

The G20 Gen4 is currently being tested and evaluated and are in the final stages for the launch.
We have seen some very good results and therefore expect the launch within 1H2012 latest during the NRA Show.
The G29 Gen4 is in the pipeline.
Our sales subsidiary GLOCK Inc. will promote and communicate the pistol launch accordingly.
Our recommendation would be to wait with your purchase.

We hope the information is sufficient and thank you for your support.
Best regards,

GLOCK Ges.m.b.H.

So for those waiting on the Gen4 Glock 20's (as I am if I like the way the Glock 21 shoots over anything else I try), it sounds like they're getting close to release.

Chuck
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:13   #2
Christopher67
Senior Member
 
Christopher67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 236
Interesting.....
Christopher67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:29   #3
oceanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 346
I'am going to the SHOT SHOW next week in Las Vegas. One of my goals is to ask GLOCK about the G20/29 Gen 4 release dates.
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:31   #4
Beanie-Bean
Senior Member
 
Beanie-Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3,874
Woohoo! Thanks for sharing the information. I will go and update my list for 2012 now...
__________________
NRA Life Member
Ammo by Dillon and Hornady

Beanie-Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:37   #5
chucky2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
The concept I like about the Glock 10mm is that I could buy different barrels (.40S&W, .357SIG, 9x25Dillon) and reliably shoot those as well. These aftermarket barrels exist for the current Glock 10mm's.

Does anyone know if the Gen4 Glock 10mm's will be able to take these same aftermarket barrels, or, are they going to require new barrel designs?
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 19:36   #6
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman
 
_The_Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southeast, LoUiSiAna
Posts: 4,139
I don't know about the barrels or if the locking blocks will be the same as the earlier gen 2 & 3. With the feeding issues that many are seeing with hotter ammo and the G-20's it will be interesting to see what is what!
__________________
Southeast, LoUiSiAna
NRA Life Member
BASS Life Member
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 19:47   #7
chucky2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
Makes sense...we'll all just have to wait and see I guess in the end, no way to know until they come out and you knowledgable folks have a chance to see what's what.
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 19:29   #8
pizza_pablo
USN Retired
 
pizza_pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 2,576
1h2012

Could someone please nail this down, for me?

What is "1H2012" ?

When is the NRA Show?

TIA
__________________
If liberals don't want us to treat every Muslim like a terrorist, why do they treat every gun owner like the Newtown shooter?
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 21:05   #9
oceanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza_pablo View Post
Could someone please nail this down, for me?

What is "1H2012" ?

When is the NRA Show?

TIA

The NRA show is in St Louis in May....and 1H2012 means 1st half of the year 2010. (first 6 months)
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 21:35   #10
TDC20
Senior Member
 
TDC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 581
Actually, the NRA show is in St. Louis April 12 - 15, 2012.
__________________
A handgun is only good for fighting your way to a rifle.
TDC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 21:49   #11
awdxtc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 374
I also thought about the barrels but to be honest with you, after shooting the 10mm I really don't want anything else and if I do it will be in a different platform. The only other gun I really want it a subcompact 1911 and if I could find one in 10mm I wouldn't even consider the 45 acp.
awdxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24   #12
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!
 
firemedic1343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 872
The current 3rd Gen 10mm works. The problem with waiting is that you end up waiting even longer for the early adopters to do QA for Glock. We've seen it before, even with Gen4's. I'm tempted to be an early adopter, but I don't want to deal with issues at this point in life. I say go for a Gen3 if you want something that works.

But OP, this is great news for early adopters and all those who want to buy after the early adopters give their reports. Honestly, if you have to be an early adopter, then Glock is probably one of the best companies to take a risk on.
__________________
Do not try anything I say at home...or anywhere else.
firemedic1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:10   #13
pizza_pablo
USN Retired
 
pizza_pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbob View Post
The NRA show is in St Louis in May....and 1H2012 means 1st half of the year 2010. (first 6 months)
Thanks, for that. I reckon a "DUH", for me, is in order

Anyways, as for waiting for the Gen 4 20....I feel like it will be good to go, because the 21 Gen 4 was.
__________________
If liberals don't want us to treat every Muslim like a terrorist, why do they treat every gun owner like the Newtown shooter?
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:21   #14
21Glock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: outside Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky2 View Post
(I still have not gone to the somewhat nearby rental range and shot a bunch of pistols to see which one I like best, so I might not even get a Glock/Glock 20, however, thought I'd pass this on.)

I wrote Glock US and asked when their Gen4 Glock 20/29 would be released, and they promptly wrote me back (a good thing) and said they could not say, that Glock Austria made the call on that.

So I looked around on Glock Austria's website, and the only e-mail address I could find was this Impressum@glock.com e-mail address. I figured what the heck, I'll try asking them. A few days after the auto-reply, I did end up getting a response (which after receiving it, and asking if I could share it, I received no reply), here it is:

Thanks for your interest in our products and company.

The G20 Gen4 is currently being tested and evaluated and are in the final stages for the launch.
We have seen some very good results and therefore expect the launch within 1H2012 latest during the NRA Show.
The G29 Gen4 is in the pipeline.
Our sales subsidiary GLOCK Inc. will promote and communicate the pistol launch accordingly.
Our recommendation would be to wait with your purchase.

We hope the information is sufficient and thank you for your support.
Best regards,

GLOCK Ges.m.b.H.

So for those waiting on the Gen4 Glock 20's (as I am if I like the way the Glock 21 shoots over anything else I try), it sounds like they're getting close to release.

Chuck
Thanks. Smyrna, Glock USA, couldn't give me a straight answer on the release of the G20 Gen 4 when I called them. Looks like by the summer, maybe we'll start to see some of the G20 Gen 4s. G21 Gen 4s haven't turned up at the gun shows yet, but at Eds and Smyrna Police Dist. here in Ga. is the only place I've heard that has any of them. Still scarce.
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:51   #15
pizza_pablo
USN Retired
 
pizza_pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Glock View Post
Thanks. Smyrna, Glock USA, couldn't give me a straight answer on the release of the G20 Gen 4 when I called them. Looks like by the summer, maybe we'll start to see some of the G20 Gen 4s. G21 Gen 4s haven't turned up at the gun shows yet, but at Eds and Smyrna Police Dist. here in Ga. is the only place I've heard that has any of them. Still scarce.
The Marksman, in Puyallup, Washington has Gen 4 G21s. I've held them!
__________________
If liberals don't want us to treat every Muslim like a terrorist, why do they treat every gun owner like the Newtown shooter?
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 23:55   #16
TACLOAD
Senior Member
 
TACLOAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Secret
Posts: 361
Jimmy's in Ft Walton Beach has Gen 4 21's. That's where I got mine.
__________________
'00

“World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just the mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think is the manifestation of human compassion.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
TACLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:32   #17
RedLine Engineering
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Sounds like the G20 Gen4 wait will soon be over. I contacted Glock and received this reposne on Feb 1.

"We have just been advised that this pistol has been submitted for approval to the ATF."
RedLine Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19   #18
blastfact
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,429
I wonder if the frame on the Gen4 will be more ridged than the frame of my Gen3 that I could snap in two with my bare hands?
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 17:09   #19
chucky2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine Engineering View Post
Sounds like the G20 Gen4 wait will soon be over. I contacted Glock and received this reposne on Feb 1.

"We have just been advised that this pistol has been submitted for approval to the ATF."
Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I wonder if the frame on the Gen4 will be more ridged than the frame of my Gen3 that I could snap in two with my bare hands?
I thought Glock's were durable? What significance does this have to durability?

Chuck
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 17:12   #20
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®
 
Angry Fist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,367
I'll pass. Hope you guys like it, though.
__________________
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 17:23   #21
dl645
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 49
When I was looking to get a G20 I found a local store that didn't have any G20s in stock but did have a Gen3 G21, Gen3 G21SF and a Gen4 G21. Tried all in my hands and actually preferred the feel of the Gen3 SF to the Gen4. Guy at the counter was surprised as he thought there wasn't supposed to be any difference between the SF and the Gen4 without additional backstraps. Tracked down a 21SF for a trade a few weeks later.
dl645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32   #22
pizza_pablo
USN Retired
 
pizza_pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine Engineering View Post
Sounds like the G20 Gen4 wait will soon be over. I contacted Glock and received this reposne on Feb 1.

"We have just been advised that this pistol has been submitted for approval to the ATF."
Interesting first post. Thanks, for the update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
I wonder if the frame on the Gen4 will be more ridged than the frame of my Gen3 that I could snap in two with my bare hands?
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Upon first read, I thought that you were referring to the texture. Did you mean to write "rigid"? If so, do you actually believe that you could snap you frame or are you being facetious?
__________________
If liberals don't want us to treat every Muslim like a terrorist, why do they treat every gun owner like the Newtown shooter?

Last edited by pizza_pablo; 02-21-2012 at 08:34.. Reason: add txt
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14   #23
chucky2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl645 View Post
When I was looking to get a G20 I found a local store that didn't have any G20s in stock but did have a Gen3 G21, Gen3 G21SF and a Gen4 G21. Tried all in my hands and actually preferred the feel of the Gen3 SF to the Gen4. Guy at the counter was surprised as he thought there wasn't supposed to be any difference between the SF and the Gen4 without additional backstraps. Tracked down a 21SF for a trade a few weeks later.
Everyone will be different of course, but, thanks for that info, it's interesting to have!
chucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 18:31   #24
ModGlock17
Senior Member
 
ModGlock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lalaland USA
Posts: 2,618
Of all the years I worked in Corporate strategy and Marketing tactics, I have never heard of a company sending out a letter like that, in an official manner.

The problem with such a letter is many folds:

1. It kills company sales, sales that would have been in the books for the first half of 2012. When you don't have sales, you don't have money to fund COMPLETIONs of PROJECTs in the pipeline. Reason ? People would hold off on spending money, which is a risk because they may end up spending on OTHER things and would not make the purchase, ie. Get the money when the customer is willing!

2. It commits a release time frame, so in case you are late, you would look like you don't know what you are doing!

Look at Apples. No announcement of iPad3. News folks have to approach suppliers of Apples and guess the dates.

That email is not credible. If it is real, Glock is stupidly run.

EDIT: the only plausible reason of making such an email/announcement is only when your competitors "beat the pant of off you", which means other companies' 10mm sales have shot through the roof.
Colt DE? Nah.
S&W 107xx series? Nah.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 02-24-2012 at 18:35..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 18:38   #25
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Of all the years I worked in Corporate strategy and Marketing tactics, I have never heard of a company sending out a letter like that, in an official manner.

The problem with such a letter is many folds:

1. It kills company sales, sales that would have been in the books for the first half of 2012. When you don't have sales, you don't have money to fund COMPLETIONs of PROJECTs in the pipeline. Reason ? People would hold off on spending money, which is a risk because they may end up spending on OTHER things and would not make the purchase, ie. Get the money when the customer is willing!

2. It commits a release time frame, so in case you are late, you would look like you don't know what you are doing!

Look at Apples. No announcement of iPad3. News folks have to approach suppliers of Apples and guess the dates.

That email is not credible. If it is real, Glock is stupidly run.
I agree 100% here. It could be truthful however.

I work for a huge company, and it can be amazingly difficult to keep everyone tight-lipped with all associates giving the precise message in the same way at the right time. Could be someone new or inexperienced in customer service that made a big no-no. They might have had partial or incomplete information and did not know better. Apple is really good at corporate secrets. Others are not so much.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:58.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,380
436 Members
944 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42