Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:21   #1
fendertele87

Which is best?

Ive been looking at 1911's for a while now. I've kinda got my mind set on 3 but I'm not sure what's the best buy. The Springfield mil spec, Remington r1s, or the colt series 70. I'm looking for the stainless steel model in all of them. What are your thoughts and why?

Last edited by fendertele87; 01-14-2012 at 08:23..
fendertele87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28   #2
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

All three are great... If I had to choose, it would be between the mil-spec or the R1 and I would most likely go for the stainless mil-spec.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:31   #3
brisk21

I would stick to a company that has been making 1911s for a longer time than Remington. (their latest incarnation, the R1 anyway). For a GI style, my first choice would be a Colt Series 70, but you can't go wrong with a Springfield either. As far as which is the best buy, the Springfield wins. You will likely save 3-4 hundred on it over the Colt. The Remington is about the same price and like I said, they just started making them.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:07   #4
Rinspeed
JAFO

None of them would be my choice.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48   #5
fendertele87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
None of them would be my choice.
What would be your choice?
Old 01-14-2012, 13:01   #6
Tallahassee

Of the three, I would get the Springfield. But, make sure you shoot a 1911 with a GI style grip safety, and put at least 100 rounds through it to make sure that it is comfortable for you.
Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 17:16   #7
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

I shot the snot out of my buddies new Mil Spec today. Great pistol...Ran about thirty mags or so through my SA Pro as well.

That having been said, Colt all day every day. Just ensure you personally inspect it prior to purchase and your are gtg

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 17:21   #8
MajorD

you can usually find a used Colt in stainless for around 700 bucks which is not much more than the current street price of the brazilian knockoff(springfield)- I am not much for foriegn made 1911's, even though I have to admit Springfields are some of the best.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 17:34   #9
glock2740
Gun lover.

Of those 3, I would choose the SA or the Colt. But, for me, they would be base guns for a future build.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 18:00   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Colt would be my choice.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 18:04   #11
fendertele87

Does anybody know what colts warranty is? I like that Springfield has a lifetime.
Old 01-14-2012, 19:10   #12
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Colt. Always the pony.
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 19:14   #13
Bodyarmorguy

The Series 70 Colt would be my first pick, the Springfield second and I would avoid the Remington all together. I had looked at them in stores and thought that they were okay, but had an opportunity last weekend to detail strip one and was not impressed with the fit.
Old 01-14-2012, 22:09   #14
bac1023

The Colt out of those three.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44   #15
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

I have a Colt's Series 70 and a Springfield Mil Spec. I have handled a few Remingtons.

The Remingtons that I've handled all had some fitting or function problem. I wouldn't spend any money on the ones I've seen. YMMV.

New manufacture Colt's pistols are absolutely great. Machining inside and finish outside are excellent. Fit is first rate.

The Springfield is very smooth and their customer service is outstanding!

I use the Springfield the most out of the 1911s I own (four, 2 Colt's, 1 Springfield, 1 Rooooger). I usually take it to the match because it has been 100% in the function department since initial break in of 300 rounds. The others are excellent, but the Springfield is very smooth and ultra dependable.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16   #16
fendertele87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
I have a Colt's Series 70 and a Springfield Mil Spec. I have handled a few Remingtons.

The Remingtons that I've handled all had some fitting or function problem. I wouldn't spend any money on the ones I've seen. YMMV.

New manufacture Colt's pistols are absolutely great. Machining inside and finish outside are excellent. Fit is first rate.

The Springfield is very smooth and their customer service is outstanding!

I use the Springfield the most out of the 1911s I own (four, 2 Colt's, 1 Springfield, 1 Rooooger). I usually take it to the match because it has been 100% in the function department since initial break in of 300 rounds. The others are excellent, but the Springfield is very smooth and ultra dependable.
Thanks for the info. How do you like the front site on your mil spec? I'm suppose to be shooting a buddy's GI and if I like it then I'm going tongi with the mil spec I think.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31   #17
tcruse

I am not an expert on 1911's, however, if you are giving any weight to the country of orgin, the SpringField is made in Brazil (Custom series final fit/assembley in IL). I would also add Ruger to your list to consider. It is fully made in the USA and is getting very good reviews. The only issue with the Ruger that I hear about is the waiting list to buy one.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42   #18
dakrat

oh this is easy. Colt 70 series. highly sought after base gun. but you will not find it in the same price range as the other two.
Old 01-15-2012, 16:02   #19
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendertele87 View Post
Thanks for the info. How do you like the front site on your mil spec? I'm suppose to be shooting a buddy's GI and if I like it then I'm going tongi with the mil spec I think.
Sights on the GI are practically invisible. Very hard to pick them up in rapid fire situations.

Sights on the Mil Spec are excellent. High enough profile to pick up easily. I like the sights on the Mil Spec as well as any fancy, adjustable sights I own.
Old 01-15-2012, 16:09   #20
fendertele87

When i get which ever one it wuss basically be my gun to carry when on my land and to keep in my car