RussP

Canton Officer Harless fired for pattern of behavior

Order to terminate employment of Harless

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30   #2
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

If his claim of PTSD plays out, I wonder what happens.

If his claim of PTSD plays out and it's shown that he acquired the condition in service to either country (he's a USMC vet) or community, I wonder what ought to happen.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 13:42   #3
eb31
ANARCHY!

One less psycho scum prowling..not patrolling.. the streets. Glad he lost his jobs. Let's see how he likes unemployment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
eb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 13:58   #4
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
If his claim of PTSD plays out, I wonder what happens.

If his claim of PTSD plays out and it's shown that he acquired the condition in service to either country (he's a USMC vet) or community, I wonder what ought to happen.
If he has PTSD as a result of his USMC service he is entitled to medical services from the VA. If he got PTSD from his service to the city of Canton he is eligible for medical services through them. His PTSD is irrelevant as far as his suitability to be on the street representing the city. He has shown through previous acts that he is out of control and needs to be removed from service before he hurts someone.

Personally I think the PTSD is a brunch of crap he and his union advocate cooked to to try and keep him employed or on the dole. Most likely is roid rage.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 16:12   #5
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
His PTSD is irrelevant as far as his suitability to be on the street representing the city.
Indeed, he has no place on the street.

But not every job is on the street. Not every job is in contact with the public.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 01-14-2012, 16:53   #6
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

The only good thing in Canton is still the football hall of fame

Glad he is gone. PTSD or not, dude was nutzo
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 23:27   #7
Lord

He should have been prosecuted for the terroristic threats he made. More than once he threatened to execute the driver who very clearly tried a number of times to be compliant with the law.

At one point he brags about his glock 40 as he threatens to unload all 10 rounds in him.

Around here, that's a crime.
Old 01-15-2012, 00:35   #8
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
He should have been prosecuted for the terroristic threats he made. More than once he threatened to execute the driver who very clearly tried a number of times to be compliant with the law.

At one point he brags about his glock 40 as he threatens to unload all 10 rounds in him.

........unless you're a cop....
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 00:37   #9
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
Evidently. Ain't it a shame?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:08   #10
RussP

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Evidently. Ain't it a shame?
Well, fix it. Here's the Ohio Code...
Quote:
Route: Ohio Revised Code » Title [29] XXIX CRIMES - PROCEDURE » Chapter 2909: ARSON AND RELATED OFFENSES
2909.23 Making terroristic threat.
(A) No person shall threaten to commit or threaten to cause to be committed a specified offense when both of the following apply:

(1) The person makes the threat with purpose to do any of the following:

(a) Intimidate or coerce a civilian population;

(b) Influence the policy of any government by intimidation or coercion;

(c) Affect the conduct of any government by the threat or by the specified offense.

(2) As a result of the threat, the person causes a reasonable expectation or fear of the imminent commission of the specified offense.

(B) It is not a defense to a charge of a violation of this section that the defendant did not have the intent or capability to commit the threatened specified offense or that the threat was not made to a person who was a subject of the threatened specified offense.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of making a terroristic threat, a felony of the third degree. Section 2909.25 of the Revised Code applies regarding an offender who is convicted of or pleads guilty to a violation of this section.

Effective Date: 05-15-2002
Pretty clear, isn't it? Now, use the internet for something other than *****ing about bad cops on a forum where it isn't going to change anything.

Here is the link to Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine: Speak Out Ohio, File-a-Complaint

You two, as well as others among us I would imagine, believe 2909.23 applies in this case. File enough complaints and it will be up to DeWine, a Republican, to pursue charges.

Let us know about the response you receive from the Ohio AG.

Last edited by RussP; 01-15-2012 at 07:13..
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44   #11
mattallamerican

dont worry the union will make sure he stays on the government gravy train. a double standard for police no jail time. they never have to worry about a drunk driving charge because a cop will never give another cop a ticket
mattallamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24   #12
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattallamerican View Post
dont worry the union will make sure he stays on the government gravy train. a double standard for police no jail time. they never have to worry about a drunk driving charge because a cop will never give another cop a ticket
Well, fix it. Here is the link to Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine: Speak Out Ohio, File-a-Complaint

File a complaint and let AG DeWine know how you feel.

Let us know about the response you receive from the Ohio AG.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:13   #13
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
The only way you can believe this is if your head is up, well, you know...

Shall I start posting the DUI cop links---every one which originated in what you just claimed never happens---or can you do the google yourself?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:21   #14
bug

Quote:
A friend of my wife's got one,(patrol officer in uniform in personal car) she works for a municipality and she received a ticket from a OSP officer last year for 6mph over in a 55 zone.

Your WRONG! and she paid it.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:32   #15
eb31
ANARCHY!

Quote:
What lord said is absolutely correct. He should see jail time and I'll add..lose his pention. Behavior like his is unasceptable and there is no excuse. Many of us vets have PTSD and function fine on a daily basis....with coping mechanisms and other tools. We certainly don't go around threatening to kill Joe Citizen. That's a BS defense...and a BS excuse.

I know most refer to the one video of Officer Clueless v CCW driver. There are atleast two more videos out there with the same rhetoric...death threats ect. Can only imagine what's not caught on tape or heard behind closed doors at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
eb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:32   #16
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis11 View Post
The only good thing in Canton is still the football hall of fame

Glad he is gone. PTSD or not, dude was nutzo
I am from this area and I used to have contact with canton cops on a semi regular basis most of them are decent down to earth guys. they were easy to talk to and not full of themselves like some dept. around my area.

This guy was one turd in the pot and they flushed him. but why the wishing bad things on the man??? maybe we should hope he gets help and be glad they caught it before he did something stupid.

I have a few family members with PTSD and its real! they have seen things that could make the devil turn his head.

I am confused what everyone is annoyed with the Union for?
protecting him is there job!! just like if you or I asked for a attorney if you are arrested, it is there job to protect you and your rights. even if you are Right or wrong that is the job...

Last edited by bug; 01-15-2012 at 12:03..
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:34   #17
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb31 View Post
What lord said is absolutely correct. He should see jail time and I'll add..lose his pention. Behavior like his is unasceptable and there is no excuse. Many of us vets have PTSD and function fine on a daily basis....with coping mechanisms and other tools. We certainly don't go around threatening to kill Joe Citizen. That's a BS defense...and a BS excuse.
[Edited to add that eb31 has posted previously here on Glock Talk about his medical challenges in great detail.]

How exactly were you diagnosed with PTSD, eb31? Did you exhibit behavioral symptoms? How long after the trauma did they make the diagnosis? Did you think you had PTSD before the diagnosis?

Let me generalize those last two questions, eb31. Based on your knowledge and personal experiences about and with PTSD, do most victims of PTSD have a sometimes long period of time between the traumatic event and recognition of the problem, and do others see the problem(s) before the victim does?

You say, "Many of us vets have PTSD and function fine on a daily basis....with coping mechanisms and other tools." When did you learn those "coping mechanisms and other tools?" Did you learn them before the PTSD diagnosis or afterwards?

Going forward, still using the same quote, are you saying anyone exhibiting abnormal behavior before diagnosis should, after successful treatment and therapy resulting in their learning those "coping mechanisms and other tools", that those persons should be barred from returning to previous employment? Are you saying that persons using "coping mechanisms and other tools" to function should not be allowed in law enforcement?

I'm looking forward to your answers since they will be based on personal, first hand experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb31 View Post
I know most refer to the one video of Officer Clueless v CCW driver. There are atleast two more videos out there with the same rhetoric...death threats ect. Can only imagine what's not caught on tape or heard behind closed doors at home.
Yeah, it might be ugly, huh? I bet it all will be horribly disgusting to Harless when he gets his right mind back. That can happen, right eb31?

Last edited by RussP; 01-15-2012 at 10:38..
Old 01-15-2012, 11:19   #18
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Indeed, he has no place on the street.

But not every job is on the street. Not every job is in contact with the public.
If it was acquired on the job, wouldn’t it be workers compensation? If he is unable to perform his duties due to a work related mental illness, wouldn’t he be entitled to disability?

From what I’ve seen in the videos, I don’t believe he is fit to be an officer. I don’t know what the success ratio is for treatment. Since this is not something you can physically see for yourself or even know what future triggers may bring it back, I don’t believe it would be prudent for any PD to hire him back. Even a desk job may expose him to conditions/information that may create stress beyond his ability to handle. One heck of a liability for any employer depending on the diagnosis he ends up with and whether he is considered a danger to himself or others (that would include co-workers, not just the general public).

He is opening a whole new can of worms with the PTSD diagnosis, most jobs involve some amount of stress and he may not qualify for many. I assume he will have to undergo various tests to determine the extent of the PTSD?

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30   #19
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post

Personally I think the PTSD is a brunch of crap he and his union advocate cooked to to try and keep him employed or on the dole.
I agree. I think he's just an A-hole with an attitude.

Last edited by HexHead; 01-15-2012 at 11:37..
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 13:38   #20
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
If it was acquired on the job, wouldn’t it be workers compensation? If he is unable to perform his duties due to a work related mental illness, wouldn’t he be entitled to disability?
Depends on the state and how the PTSD was acquired. In many states PTSD is not compensated unless connected to physical trauma.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 01-15-2012 at 13:39..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote